Wal-Mart says it will pull out of D.C. plans should city mandate ‘living wage’

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jul 10, 2013.

1. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    I think Wal Mart should close all their stores. Then what would the non-producing cry baby bitch vultures say?
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Exactly! I bought a great pair of Nike sneakers for $18... had them for two years now.
  3. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +553
    Because their self anointed arrogance allows them to think they know better than anyone else..... what is right for everyone else.

Utter arrogance is what drives their motivation to dictate THEIR wishes upon everyone. Next time a lib/leftie says they believe in personal freedom--just laugh. It is an outright lie.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +915
    I've never tried to stop anyone from working or shopping at Wal Mart. I will try to keep them out of my neighborhood though. I like all the small, local, and independent businesses around here and a Wal Mart would surely put many of them out of business. Some of us still enjoy supporting our neighbors and paying a bit more for service and quality.
  5. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    So because you and some of your neighbors enjoy paying a bit more, you feel everyone else should pay more? Maybe you and your neighbors should subsidize those who would have to pay more and couldn't afford it.
  6. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +915
    Maybe like those people receiving welfare, they should work harder and earn more money? Oh wait...I'm channeling my inner right-winger. Let me try again.

If the majority of people here (in Seattle, or more specifically my neighborhood) want a Wal Mart then they are free to lobby for one just as I am free to lobby against one.
  7. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    There is a dichotomy of economies in DC based on where you live. Teenagers starting at the DC minimum wage have a job and an opportunity to rise to management positions. DC needs Walmart one heck of a lot more than Walmart needs DC.
  8. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    Walmart needs to pull out of D.C. and be replaced with over priced mom and pop specialty stores. The people there don't mind paying more
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    I work in DC (live in VA), so I am pretty knowledgable about the local economy.
    As I posted earlier in this thread, DC has a below average number of people working at or below minimum wage and it has the government path to get out of poverty which most places don't. And again it has the highest median household income in the country, ahead of San Francisco, San Jose, NYC etc (so a high top end with a strong middle and a relatively small tail) They certainly wouldn't complain if they got it, but it's not a need but for a relatively small group in the city - if the councilmen cared that much about Walmart being there they wouldn't put restrictions on them knowing it could drive them off.
    Walmart isn't worried about their margins, people in DC would expect to pay more based on location, what they are worried about is the precedent it would set for their wage structure in other high cost areas.
    NYC did something similar and still doesn't have any walmarts, Chicago tried but the mayor vetoed it. Walmart's new strategy is urban areas because suburbia is tapped out, they need a deal long term too. The real barriers behind this are unions, they are driving the fight because they are afraid it will drive wages down.
    Might all be a moot point though, Mayor Grey may veto it and there probably aren't enough votes to override him. Walmart will come and people will rejoice at all of the cheap things to buy.
  10. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,404
    They wouldn't really be "being replaced." There's not a single Walmart in the District right now anyways, they were just planning to build a number of them in the near future.
  11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050

There was a fair amount of presumption there.
    I am probably as far right on immigration as you are. I wouldn't mind seeing every person who knowingly broke the law to come here sent home, though I know it will never happen.
    Nor am I calling for everyone to make even remotely the same amount of money(the average salary in the city is around 65k, this would net 25), and when adjusted for COL it is less than the minimum wage in Florida with a similar ratio between the low end and median. That's not an outrageous idea. $7.25 isn't a one size fits all, it goes a whole lot farther in Ocala than in NYC or DC.
    But having said that, this isn't an altruistic effort by the city, they are trying to protect unions and local businesses as much as anything. And if mayor Grey vetoes it this will all be forgotten in a few months probably.
  12. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Rep.
  13. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Wait, let me get this straight, there are supposed intelligent human beings who actually think minimum wage is a good thing?

Wow.
  14. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    It's an enslavement thing. Some people want retards to make enough money to procreate more retards.
  15. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    Why is the average household income that high? could it be all those fatcats that are elected living up there?

Sorry, but this is a joke, so we have minimum wage but since you're rich you have to pay more...

class envy... simple as that
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +582
    Wal-Mart has no choice but to pull out or every jurisdiction in the US will do the same thing. They've been trying to penetrate DC for a decade and have lost numerous zoning fights; it's a very lucrative and important retail market. A Wal-Mart in DC would gross about $100M in revenue a year. 300 employees x $4/hour x 1200 hours a year (estimates) is about $1.44M a year per store in labor costs.. 6 stores= $600m in sales and $8.7M in cost. They'd still make a ton of money in DC but would be ripe for extortion everywhere, so they walk.

I say good for them, DC is only hurting it's general residents, and think of all the construction jobs that will be lost. Probably another $100M in construction spending.

Good job, DC.
  17. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    DC has one of the highest poverty rates in the country and has a huge income disparity between the top 20% and the bottom 20%. I'm guessing the part of DC where you work is really nice and you don't venture into the poor areas. Not that I blame you for that but your facts are not correct.
  18. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +279
    Why are unions exempt?

"Unionized businesses are exempt from the measure"
  19. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    My thought is this is all about the union and the law was passed because of union pressure. WM is a southern non union company. I would go as far as to say they most likely use non union labor to build the stores. Tell me what the union does for these mom and pop stores. ALso where are you guys finding mom and pop stores? The only ones I see around here are Mom and Pop's from India. I can bet you Walmart pays better and has more benefits than the Mom and Pop stores around here.
  20. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +676
    We managed to survive before Walmart.