Wal-Mart says it will pull out of D.C. plans should city mandate ‘living wage’

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jul 10, 2013.

1. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    Gray got a lot of blowback for allowing Walmart to get permitted to build these three stores in the first place.

Based on what people I know in DC have said, though, this passed solely because they knew it was a dealbreaker for Walmart and would get them to cancel their plans to open three stores and never expected Walmart to agree to the living wage law (that is, "Well we can't do that, we're not going to open." isn't really "showing" DC anything, because it's what DC wanted when they passed this bill to start with).
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +682
    If this is your stance then you should be arguing to raise minimum wage across the board, not targeting one business, which is blatantly unfair. If there are other minimum wage jobs in DC that are currently filled then that answers your question.
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,146
    What is the unemployment rate in DC?

Would not companies bringing jobs into DC lower the rate? Shouldn't that be the goal?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,145
    Isnt this essentially 100% speculative, though? There's really no truth that is what's happening - its possible, and it surely makes WM look less powerful, but is that reall what's happening here? There's no way to know that.
  5. bposs

bposs Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    DC economy is booming like no other city in the nation!
  6. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,855

8.3 May

http://www.bls.gov/ro3/dclaus.htm
  7. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +839
    Whatever happened to equal protection of the laws?

Wal-Mart, and the other qualifying big box stores, are being required to carry a competitive disadvantage in wages compared to the stores smaller than them.

I thought libs were all about "fairness"?

As someone else astutely pointed out earlier, if the lower minimum wage remains in place for many other businesses, this isn't about a "living wage". Wages still must be somewhat commensurate to the value of the work being performed. Most Wal-Mart jobs, as with many other retailers, are unskilled labor.
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    I agree it should be across the board if they are going to do it.
    As far as who is getting minimum wage in the city, it's about 4% of the workers, but keep in mind those are skewed to high school and college jobs, or waiters, who also earn tips. Full time minimum wage earners are a small number.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2011tbls.htm
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    I used living wage as a comparative value. For instance, the median family income in Florida is around 45k. So s proportional salary to 12.50 in FLA would be under $7 an hour, or less than minimum wage. The average rent in DC is around $1600 a month, or 73% of a $12.50 salary - prices and taxes are higher too.
    But to your point, yes money is better than no money, but if these folks still need government assistance to get by, the city isn't really gaining that much.
  10. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,855
    DC minimum wage is already $1 above the federal
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,024
    so the residents of DC will not get the benefit of lower prices. honestly, who do this help and who does it hurt? it hurts all those that will not get the lower priced products, ie, the typical walmart shopper who doesn't have a cushy high paying job with the feds or with the lobbyists; you know, the people that the dems supposedly represent and look out for...
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,560
    Well given that Wal Mart tends to lower wages in the labor market, "low prices" alone arent a good selling point if you also have less stable employment or less takehome pay as a result. As I mentioned before, Wal Mart doesnt operate in a vacuum. Its not just +1800 jobs and low prices you're getting. How many people does it put out of work? What does it do to the labor market in DC? There are always winners and losers.
  13. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +867
    Professional sports? Not a good comparison in my opinion. They are basically monopolies.
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,560
    Well, pretty much every unionized business has a wage floor/ceiling, monopoly or not. But really, you asked has it ever "worked," ever. I said it did in certain situations, and gave you multiple examples of where "wage controls" are working quite well in an extremely profitable business.
  15. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Michi, DC is likely run by democrats...hell they elected Marion Barry twice. DC and it's leadership teachable? Wishful thinking on our part. Libbies don't think....they "feel".
  16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    I just wonder what your excuse will be for illegal aliens and their wages, when Obama lets them stay here. Are you going to say the same thing about them - people used to be called migrant workers? Will they need to be payed more money too?

It's all about the Communist mantra of equal pay for everyone, no matter what type of work or educational background they have. I really believe that's where the commies have brainwashed too many Americans from the Left.

Walmart has every right to pay the minimum wage and if the people don't like it they're free to work somewhere else.

The Leftists can't get enough government controls and regulations in the private sector world... it's a self enslavement mentality that they seem to embrace more an more each day. I hope you're not one of those people.
  17. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,046
    There are no Wal Marts in Seattle.
    I miss them so much.

Oh wait, I don't miss them at all. They aren't that cheap, unless you would rather buy a piece of junk that will wear out in half the time a slightly more expensive piece of junk from Target, Fred Meyer, Home Depot etc. will.

What is it with the right-winger's love affair with that store. When Wal Mart was newish, they used to be okay, but now they remind of K-Mart, only not as nice and with lower quality items.
  18. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    I don't like shopping at Walmart and will drive further to shop at other stores. However, I have no desire to try to prevent others from working or shopping there. What is it with the left-winger's lover affair with trying to dictate where people can work or shop?
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    I don't love that "store," I love freedom... freedom which even that store deserves to have.
  20. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Do manufacters make a different product they sell to Wal Mart?
    If you buy the same brand that the others sell, how is it inferior?
    Check out same brand prices on food with Wal Mart and the designer stores.
    The city may not reap tremendous benefits , but the "poor" would certainly have a better avenue to get by with a little less expense.