Wait second?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Jun 20, 2014.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,575
    yep you did river
    you were correct and we were wrong
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
  3. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +880
    Of course. A perfect example here is the State of the Union Address in 2003 when Bush said:

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

Bush had to say it was the British government because our own intelligence had discounted the claim. The truthful thing to do here would have been to not mention it at all. But Bush was so determined to get us into the war in Iraq that he used any shred of evidence, no matter how flimsy, to make his case. And the flip side of that is he suppressed any evidence that detracted from the case for war. Bush misled the nation into a war that cost more than 4000 American lives and trillions of dollars. And these cons are outraged by Benghazi instead.
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,681
    First of all I voted for Bush twice so I feel I amply within my realm of blaming him if I choose. There is a whole heck of a lot more info that has not been brought in to the conversation yet and I don't have time to go digging it all up again.

I will say this once again:

I did not believe then, nor do I believe now, we had sufficient cause to invade Iraq at a cost of the lives of thousands of our soldier along with trillions of dollars.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. egator1245

egator1245 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    No, that would be you and your liberal cohorts as regards Obama.
    • Boring Boring x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,681
    And by the way the war didn't end. It is still very much alive for those who lost their loved ones in it and it is still very much alive for the soldiers who have suffered horribly as a result of it. These people will live with the war for the rest of their lives.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. FlyingGatorII

FlyingGatorII Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +762
    Certainly can't argue with that. We are all entitled to our own opinions. The way Obama has handled it the sad thing is it looks like it was all for nought now anyway. If you weren't saying that Bush manipulated and manufactured intel to get us involved then I apologize. I was simply pointing out that the intel he used was supported by multiple sources, including those against the war in this country and others.
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. FlyingGatorII

Ratings Received:
    +762
    As a vet of 3 combat operations I can certainly appreciate that. Thank you for remembering.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,681
    Thank you for your service.

I tried to join the Navy during Vietnam but was turned down because of some minor trouble I had got in. My father and my uncle were WWII vets and I have always like to read the history of war. I enjoy going to the battle sites and I think there is always a part of us that relates to war. I love to play FPS on Playstation and also love action movies but that's where I draw the line.

I absolutely hate war and mankind's ongoing desire to kill his/her fellow man. It may not be avoidable in all cases but to me it is a very last resort option. When they sent the first of one of my friends home from Nam in a box was when I first started understanding just how real it is.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,575
    my nephew has done 2 tours in Iraq and 5 tours in Afghanistan and was just recently told he was going back to Afghanistan after the 1st of the year- he says this is what he signed on for and would have it no other way
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,681
    Sometimes Bill older heads need to protect the youth from themselves. I have a nephew, graduate of UF, about to make captain, and has already made it through Ranger School. He is now in Special Forces training I believe. He also is chomping at the bit to be deployed but there is more to it than that. He has a wife and a new baby and it is our responsibility as a nation to try to keep him alive if at all possible along with your nephew.
  12. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,356
    It is so brilliant to be an expert after the action and results are determined, than before when there are so many unknowns.
    No one on this board had any inside info regarding the iraqi war or any other action taken by any one, other than speak their own personal opinion at that time. Based on info anyone has , it would be merely a guess.
    Every Monday morning there are millions on Monday Morning morning quarterbacks.
    The big problem now is not who caused a problem, but how to solve the damn thing.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  13. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,575

yep scared me to death everytime he goes over there- he has a young wife and a 8 year old- had a conversation with him not too long ago about that and he basically told me to MYOB
  14. FlyingGatorII

Ratings Received:
    +762
    It's hard to put into words the feelings that Bergdahl never obviously felt. Once you are through basic it becomes about your fellow soldiers, your country and then yourself. I will never forget the first time troops were deployed after I got out...I wanted nothing more then to be there with them. Didn't matter if I agreed with why they were there or not. It just felt like I wasn't doing my job and protecting my friends, even though it wasn't my job any more. I have since figured out that the military can function without me but it wasn't an easy transition. God Bless your nephews Hall and Bill. I will pray for their safe return..
    • Like Like x 1
  15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
  16. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,356
    Bottom line: Sadam did have chemical weapons and UN resolutions to oversee their destruction was refused by Sadam. As far as intelligence was concerned he still had them.
  17. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370
    And I've always respected you for saying that. Manning up is unfortunately rare here. Or womaning up.
  18. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    That's a nice bottom line, but it isn't true. For nearly 7 years the U.N. - led by the U.S. - oversaw destruction of weaponry both biological and chemical in nature.
  19. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370
    keep that rant in mind when you bitch about Obama day after day.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +973
    Liberals look the other way when it's their guy. I could post 4 videos of direct Obama quotes that would sink the ship of any republican but they will come back and say it's ok for a democrat to flip-flop.