Vote for my 11 yr old future F1 driver :)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jrz1g8r, Jan 6, 2018.

1. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    Hi,

Long time member. Don't post so much.

Anyway my son races go karts competitively and has entered the Champion Auto Parts "Search for a Champion" contest. Winner gets sponsorship to help with their racing. You can read/see more about is story on the contest website and his entry page here:

sfac.championautoparts.com/entry/1847/

Connor was only the 2nd American to win the Rok Cup International World Championship in Italy this year and followed it up by winning the largest kart race in the US in Vegas in November. Karting ain't cheap so winning some sponsorship money would be great and winning would help raise his profile. Check out his entry and if you have time register to vote and cast him a vote. You can vote ever day from now through early February.

By the way, he's a straight A kid and a huge Gator fan. Both mom & dad are alum.

Much appreciated.

Jim
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    Gratuitous bar trick to try and pry some votes out of the board members....

3. reptilenation

reptilenation GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +386
    Quite the young man you have there! You and your wife must be proud! Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    Thank you Reptile. Yes, we're very proud of him. Amazing little kid.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ironhead1

ironhead1 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,642
    Wow!!
    Impressive.
    Did he fall through the harness onto the track on the 2nd flip in the video??

Given his accomplishments already at such a young age, I'm surprised he hasn't been contacted by a NASCAR team.

Formula one is much more lucrative for a driver. Much more dangerous as well.
    Americans have had little luck in F1.
    It would be cool to have an American F1 champion!

I know the sacrifices and time away from home your family must have endured, just to get to this point.
    Good luck to you and your family.

Congratulations on raising a fine young man. Keep it up!!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    Thanks for kind words.

No harnesses on the karts. They want them coming out so they don't have kart land on top of them. In the first flip if you pause at very end of clip you can see him crouching on track way off in camera picture. In second one he came out and both shoes fell off. Those orange and white things are socks! :) In the 3rd one he actually stayed in the seat. That was only one he was a little bruised from as when he almost came out his leg got caught on steering wheel and kept him in the seat.

In racing there's almost no amount of talent that gets you seat in a car. Have to know people and have money. He could probably get a free ride in a kart but cars are different. Mazda has a few scholarship competitions that give $100-200K to a driver which pays for almost a year but that's one of the few. Most kids moving up into F4 and then higher had someone paying their way to join a team. We'll see what happens with Connor. if he keeps on a tear, maybe something breaks for him.

Thanks for voting! Pls keep it up. the $50K would let him go race in Europe this summer and that would get him more exposure and invaluable experience.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. g8rnbft

g8rnbft Senior

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Voted and put link on a couple pages I visit.
    Good Luck!!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    Awesome. Thanks!
  9. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    3 members voted. $15 to charity of board’s choice. Who’s next? Honor system here....
  10. saltydogator

saltydogator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +45
    I voted! I'm a huge Indy Car fan and your son looks a bit like Scott Dixon, he seems to drive a bit like him too!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    Thanks Salty. That's 4 voters. $20 in kitty for charity of board's choice. More board members vote, more goes to charity regardless of whether my son wins or not. Board picks charity.
  12. brimme

brimme Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +413
    I have chased super late model racing for the last 20 plus years. I have learned two things: Let your wallet be your guide, and if your not pushing the edge(rules&technology) your just riding and not racing. I voted and wish your son the best of luck. The experiences for my son and I created a bond never to be broken and memories never forgotten.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    Thanks Brimme. Yeah as you well know, it's not a cheap sport but I look at it the same way, I'm not buying racing I'm buying time and memories with my kids and valuable learning/life experiences for them.

You also just put $5 more in the kitty for charity. Pls vote as much as you can, up to once a day.

Jim
    • Like Like x 1
  14. saltydogator

saltydogator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +45
    Voted again, looks like finalist voting goes through February 2nd. I did a lot of track events with PCA years ago, great memories, but very expensive. Sounds like your doing it the right way with your son. I will keep voting!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    Thanks Salty. Did you race or do DE weekends? I instructed for PCA for many years. Never got into actual racing due to time/$$ requirements but spent lots of time on track just having fun. My oldest karted for years and then got into Spec Miata racing. That might even be less expensive than karting :( believe it or not. He did very well with his karting background. It really is the best training for racing and even just driving on road. Oldest hasn't had single accident and is now 18 and I don't worry a second about his driving.

Let's get more voters and grow the amount to be donated to charity!
  16. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    bump. could use some help and will donate $5 to charity of board's choice for every member that votes.
  17. dawny

dawny GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +585
    I was a Offroad racer in the 70s till 92and many wins in all over , Won the Fla 400 mile or 12 hour race in 1981 Tallahassee with 140 cars in race , and ran the Mint 400 in Las Vegas 511 cars started 78 finished , in 1982 finished 2nd in class 10 out of 32 ,and was the first car to finish from Fla. racing and testing was in my blood my Father was a Test Pilot for the P-51s, F-86s jets for over 20 years , it takes more than money to drive a race car, I was blessed with Heart to win not money, good luck
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,904
    Very talented, bright and well spoken kid. His parents are obviously very proud and should be commended. It's probably the biggest reason why he is who he is, great parents! I hope he makes it to the top of F1 and achieves all of his goals. Nothing better than chasing a dream. Best of luck!

I encourage everyone to follow the link and vote, it was a very simple process.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    Thanks for the kind words 62. Dawny, not quite sure what you're implying with your comment. Could be read that you had great success without money. Could also be construed in a less constructive light. Whatever.
  20. jrz1g8r

jrz1g8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    We were in homestead last weekend for races. Got a 2nd and a 4th. On the second he finished .001 seconds behind the 1st place kart. Should have won but made an 11 yr old mistake and let the guy behind him pass with only a few corners left. On the 4th, we had a valve stem go bad resulting in flat tire for qualifying. Didn't get a single good lap in so he started the pre-final race 49th (last). Drove it to 12th I think and then in final got up to 4th just a hair behind the leaders at the finish line.

For anyone interested we're at Palm Beach Karting this coming weekend for the start of the Florida Winter Tour series. Be happy to have visitors to our tent in the pits. There will be action all weekend. We will be there Thurs practicing, Friday is official practice, qualifying and the 1st heat race. Saturday will have 2 heat races and last chance qualifier races and then Sunday is pre-final and final. Don't know what's going on at the car race track but there might be some racing there as well.

PM me if you're interested in coming out.
    • Like Like x 2