Vols and VaTech to play at Bristol Speedway (160,000)

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +989
    Shhhh....:)
  2. novagator1

novagator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    Damn didn't realize my alma mater has a 5 star DE. I might have to take in a game since I live across from the school.
  3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +437
    Ignorance?!?! Really?!?! I believe you are predominantly correct with your points on VT and the SEC, but nobody here knows for sure exactly what was going on behind the closed doors of conference expansion. So most of it, including your points, is somewhat educated guessing at best.

I don't believe it was directed at me, but for you to call anybody on this board "ignorant" is uncalled for.

To your points, I tend to agree on your first point.

I'm not sure I follow your logic on the second point. In very general terms, wouldn't desire for academics typically support VT wanting to be in the ACC? Until TAMU and Mizzou joined the SEC, weren't Vandy and UF the only AAU schools? The ACC has traditionally had a stronger academic reputation.

On your third point I think both you and Krono have it wrong. I think VT had been waiting for an offer from the SEC that never came. Mizzou wasn't a back-up plan for VT as Krono said, but the buyout (as you suggested) wouldn't have been an issue at the time either. Bottom line is that I believe if the SEC had offered VT back then, VT would have probably jumped, but the offer never came because the SEC preferred Mizzou and wasn't ready to go to 16.

Yes, Maryland has more money but I don't think they'll ever pay more than half of the buyout and that buyout could still very well get thrown out in court. I don't know if any school has paid more than half of the buyout amount anyway.

But at some point, I still think that when the SEC decides to expand, VT will still be very high on the candidate list, along with UNC or NCSU. And I still think that if the SEC ever offers, there's a very good chance VT will end up in the SEC. They would make enough in the SEC to cover any buyout in a few years.
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +989
    Not referring to you, Atlanta. For all the years you have been here, I never saw you write an ignorant post. But many here are truly ignorant.

If I get worked up regarding OOC schools or rivals, it is because of teh knee jerk reaction about anyone that is not Florida or the SEC. After over a decade of close association with VT as a visiting lecturer, my daughter's involvement with VT, the shootings and the aftermath, and a close knowledge of football in Blacksburg, I believe I am more informed about what happens there than the casual fan who follows CFB or the Gator-centric fan who knows nothing except the same tired bromides.

I mean, Gator fans get tired of the same type of idiotic comments such as:

* Florida dropped Miami because they were scared;

* Florida prefers FCS rent-a-wins to home and homes because either they can't afford it or because they are scared.

There are so many more, and as a fan of the team, it gets old. I am a Gator my entire life, both academically and in Florida sports, but it isn;t a zero sum game. I can root heavily for another team and not feel like I am unfaithful. If they play against each other, I hope for a 1 point Florida win, played fair and square without official interference.

From what I have heard from faculty members at VT as well as the administration, the staff and faculty did not want to leave the ACC. That is first hand knowledge, not speculation. The Harvin situation is similar, from what I have heard and read. No recruiting site ever stated that VT ever even offered Percy, and I heard too many people give the same reason why.But when I read nonsense that VT simply likes the ACC because of its easy schedule, or that they do not have athletic players, or that they would be an Ole Miss type of team in the SEC is palpable, demonstrable nonsense, and nothing more than homer bluster.

C'mon, it's my final vice. I don;t even defend Zook all that much anymore...:D
  5. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +437
    Wormwood56:

I knew you weren't directing that at me. I said that in my post. My point is that I don't think you should be calling anybody ignorant! ;)
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +989
    C'mon. Ignorance implies unawareness based on a lack of information. Back in the day, I would have called them stupid. I'm working on my tact...;)
  7. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +437
    Hahaha! :)
  8. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Did you have to look all that stuff up just to throw stones at me? Well done, how do you know we almost lost tebow to bama? Did he tell you that? I'm sure your connected somehow and are in the know, right. I seem to remember Tim saying he never really considered any other school, at least seriously. But you said we almost lost him, so it must be true. I graduated high school and college many years ago, Villanova '93 But I will run along, because you said so...Ginny tech is not on the same level as UF as a program. Spew all the stats you want, it's second tier. Did you look up all your stats, probably not, you have them in your head I'm sure.

I'll run along big guy, you know a lot about Ginny tech and that may mean that you wear cowboy boots and chew tobaccy....ohhhh ahhhh.....it's va tech enough said.

As for educated gators I'm sure there are a lot, but the ones that use it as a call sign are a little too much for me...just not something I would do, it's kinda like a vanity plate, douchey!

Great win over Pitt today, I'm sure you can quote all the stats or probably talked to Beamer after the game! Get a life, please...
  9. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,284
    I said the PARENTS were respected posters.

Read.

I also am the first to defend our players and staff...good luck finding a post by me bashing anyone.

Your the one who made the uninformed statement about the players parents, and yes, there have been several over the years. Also some former players here as well....its a public forum.

And I have way more than 2133 posts...LOL...but I don't think that means squat.
    My point about your newness was simply pointing out that you are uninformed about who many posters are.

If you don't like that... well....I'll save the profanity for you Mr. class.
  10. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,284
    Wow...simply wow.
  11. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,284
    Its public knowledge man. He literally was undecided 2 hours before his announcement.

12. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    If you want to prove that in 2005 tebow was "undecided" you sort of win. Several interviews, especially after he was done playing at UF, Tebow talked about always wanting to be a gator and he really didn't waver but felt it necessary to look at other schools in the process. But if it makes you feel better that I'm uninformed that's fine.

As for players or parents on this board regularly posting I would put that number very low. But once again because a handful do, if you want to call me uninformed that's fine as well.

I didn't say "you" bashed on players, I said it happens all over this site and you are policing a thread that is pretty low on the "exchange" scale.

I'm finding there is some sensitivity on this site, when it's convenient of course. That's fine to. I'll try more refined language like "uninformed" in the future, and poop instead of the other word.

Lastly if I don't like what someone says to me, I'll just send in an infraction.
  13. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Since you haven't been here very long, you aren't aware of the fact that yes--there are indeed parents of players who DO come in here and post more than you know. No, they aren't nearly as regular or as prominent as some the more seasoned ones....and no, not every player parent even bothers to post---but they DO read while lurking. Pouncey mom was in here on a semi-regular basis, and last year Christy's dad was a regular too--didn't post a ton, but was definitely part of the group. Several years back---I want to say 4-5-6 or so, one of our lineman was always in here giving us a lot of insider info which ONLY a current player would have access to. So point being--yes, there are more parents/players who come in than you would imagine....probably more than most of us in here would.

I think the whole point is that in here--part of the attraction which 'used' to be in this site---was a very good sense of respect to the players, families, staff, and school in general than there has been lately. I think tilly is just expressing that and many of us agree that the same level of respect for the program without the constant negative bitching and whining and moaning that has increased higher than ever before. Even during Zooker's tenure--and THAT is saying something.
  14. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Do you think because I only started posting recently means I never read anything? I never said zero parents or players post, I said numbers are low. As far as respect for UF as a program, do not put me in the category of some of the loony tunes that post. Not me at all...let's not put personal spin and make it something it is not. I have 2 boys that accomplish a lot in sports, if I put it on Facebook they don't like it. They are teenagers, not 8.

I guess the hierarchy created by posting something every day allows for some to preach to the "newbies"

Do You think va tech is a top tier FOOTBALL program? Top 15? I doubt it, that was my original point.

They have won at times but in the ACC. That schedule plus James Madison you are gonna win 8-9 games consistently.
  15. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,284
    My issue was that you basically called those parents an embarrassment.

I never accused you of saying I bashed players. I was pointing out that we agree on that note.

As for your lurking without posting, I get that...but I would assume a lurker would know that parents mentioned posted here...as it is very common knowledge.

Also I don't post everyday. Often go months without it during the off season after hoops ends....game thread really build post counts. I have a wife...3 kids...career...my posting time here is actually very small
    For instance...this post just took about 45 seconds of my entire day.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device