Vols and VaTech to play at Bristol Speedway (160,000)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Brodeur

Brodeur Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    These days the VT fans aren't bad, mostly because they've slide out of relevance the last few years.

But I think you're wrong about VA HS ball not being that good. They don't compare to Florida (only California and Texas do) but they're probably somewhere around 10th or 12th in terms of states producing elite football players.
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +664
    As a whole, I don't think Virginia has an overly strong HS football reputation, but the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area actually produces quite a bit of elite talent. Percy Harvin, Michael Vick, Plaxico Burress, DeAngelo Hall and Tyrod Taylor are all from that area.
  3. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +697
    I would agree with the talent in the VA Beach area. DaShawn Hand, Woodbridge HS, isn't considering Tech. It's just that I heard the same song EVERY year about Tech.
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Tidewater area does produce a good amount of talent. NoVa area where Hand is from produces some too. Rest of the state, not so much.
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    Swampbabe,

They crap the bed in the MNC hunt, yet settle for 10+ wins most years. So does that means they suck? With your logic, Florida Sh*ts the bed virtually every year for the past century in the national championship hunt.

Not sure where you get "love" from. There is no one more critical about their offense than I am. I'm the same about VT as I am about my alma mater, the University of Florida. But my fondness for them is NOT irrational and has absolutely NOTHING to do with how well or how poorly they do on the field of play. Indeed, it has next to nothing to do with football. Do you think I am some simple bandwagon fan who clings to a team based on their success or failure, like many fans here are? If you know my connections to VT, you would understand.

Percy Harvin wasn't pursued by Beamer. Do you know why? And the 757 region DOES produce elite players. Not sure how much you know of them.

Virginia is not the hotbed of talent Florida, California or Texas is, no question about that. But it is amazing that in spite of having non-athletic players who are undersized, VT had 53 players drafted into the NFL since 2002. They must be doing SOMETHING right. Coaching and development, perhaps? And their players, especially their defensive players, tend to stick in the NFL, rather than wash out.

And plesae remember that the SEC is not JUSST Florida, Georgia, Alabama and LSU. it is also the Mississippi schools, Auburn, Tennessee, USCe, Arkansas, Vandy, Kentucky, Texas A&M and Mizzou, the last two who were Big XII teams until last year, yet somehow survive in the mighty SEC. VT would consistently be in the top third of the SEC, and their players would play on any team from Vandy to Alabama, depending on talent. Otherwise, they wouldn't have so many draft picks.

Let's look at the star rankings of SEC teams, plus FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State, Clemson and VT and compare to the number of players drafted into the NFL:

Team-----------# Drafted-------------Avg Star Rank--------W/L Record, 2002-13

Miami........................72 (1)........................3.42 (7)..............94-49 (8)
    Georgia......................71 (2)........................3.57 (4)............114-37 (2)
    LSU...........................70 (3)........................3.60 (3)............120-31 (1)
    Florida State...............61 (4)........................3.61 (2)............102-48 (6)
    Florida.......................60 (5)........................3.68 (1)............110-39 (4)
    Alabama....................58 (6).........................3.45 (5)...........109-40 (5)
    Virginia Tech..............53 (7).........................3.01 (13)..........114-39 (3)
    Tennessee..................51 (8)........................3.43 (6)..............83-62 (13)
    USCe.........................43 (9)........................3.14 (11)............86-59 (11)
    Clemson.....................40 (10)......................3.17 (10)............91-52 (9)
    Auburn.......................37 (11)......................3.29 (8)............101-45 (7)
    North Carolina.............36 (12)......................3.02 (12)............63-77 (16)
    Arkansas....................34 (13)......................2.96 (15)............86-59 (11)
    Texas A&M..................31 (14)......................3.18 (9).............79-63 (14)
    Ole Miss.....................21 (15)......................3.00 (14)............63-75 (15)
    Mizzou.......................21 (15)......................2.94 (16).............91-54 (10)
    Miss State..................21 (15)......................2.86 (17).............59-82 (18)
    Kentucky....................16 (18)......................2.54 (18).............60-80 (17)
    Vandy........................14 (19)......................2.44 (19).............49-90 (19)

Well, since 2002, VT put more players into the NFL draft than ten SEC teams, and their recruiting was considerably lower, so i would say that they may ENTER VT undersized and un-athletic, but they LEAVE there at least as NFL ready as most other schools. Put another way, in that time period, Alabama placed five more players into the NFL draft in 11 years, while Florida put seven more.

Why do I think you are simply surrounded by idiot Hokie fans where you live? Every fanbase has them. You can spot them really quick. Everything that goes wrong with VT, from the offense, to the defense, to the weather, to the coldness of the drinks, is Brian Stinespring's fault. :laugh:
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    Never said I was an alum of VPI. I am an alum of Florida, however. Are you? Or are you just a "wannabee?" Judging from your prose, I suspect the latter. If you are a student or graduate of the University of Florida, I and the rest of us here would be embarrassed..

Florida lost more than a few recruiting battles to VT, as they did to Clemson and other schools. Nick Saban occasionally loses recruiting battles. Florida damned near lost Tim Tebow to Mike Shula at Alabama if not for Larry Fedora talking him into staying. you're really showing your ignorance, or perhaps it is simple stupidity.

By ANY measure, VT is a top 15 program. For the past 20 years, VT finished in the AP Top 25 16 times, with seven top tens. The number of teams that can say that can probably be counted on the fingers of two hands with a couple of fingers left over.

As for the doctor, he may in fact be a physician, and this would not be uncommon, as there are many educated Gators on this board with medical degrees, law degrees, Ph.D's and multiple graduate degrees. When you graduate high school, you too may earn a degree someday. Do not presume that he is a poser or a loser. He is a passionate fan with whom I disagree.

Now run along, and study reeeal hard! Florida is tough to get into these days...
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    Most of VT's players come from the Tidewater area.
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    My only point of contention with your post Wormwood is the statement that Beamer didn't recruit Percy. A talent like that gets recruited by everyone regardless of attitude problems. I did a quick search on my phone and at least one article states that VT targeted Harvin. Maybe there's more out there to refute that, I don't know.
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    This was a bone of contention in the fan base for a long time. Don;t have the entire story, but there was a lot of talk that Beamer, who knows every coach in Virginia, spoke to several about Harvin's issues in high school (not just the rage thing, but also the drug thing). Having been burned by Marcus Vick, a 5-star that Florida also coveted, Beamer was wary of taking another problem child.

Beamer resists taking chronic troublemakers, and also resists recruiting nationally, which is why VT will never take that next step from the outstanding to the elite as long as Frank is there. He recruits people that fit his system. They have to hit Texas and California more. He recruits in Florida, particularly Palm Beach, Broward and Dade counties, but doesn't hit the Sunshine State full force like Dabo Sweeney does. If he wants to win National Titles, he's got to do that.

In addition, his coaching style is so conservative, he makes Muschamp look like Mike Leach by comparison. Blue chippers love style, which VT has in spades on defense, but are as boring as could be offensively.
  10. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I don't doubt there was talk but I won't be convinced Beamer said no unless I heard it from Percy. People know all about Percy now and the Seahawks were still willing to drop $60+ million on him. Besides, it's always easy to take a principled stand when you don't actually have a shot at a player. Percy's final five didn't include any local teams.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    What if you heard it from Beamer?

Just sayin' that Beamer didn't pursue him, or pursue him hard, anyway. VT went 42-12 without Percy anyway, and I'm glad Percy came to play for us. He might have been their next Vick.
  12. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    No, it would be inherently self-serving.
  13. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +664
    That's not true! Beamer and VT tried hard to recruit Harvin, particularly because they knew Harvin and Damon McDaniel wanted to go to the same school and McDaniel was very high on VT. Beamer was definitely interested in Harvin and he did not stop recruiting Harvin over character issues. That's a bunch of crap.

But Harvin made it clear that he had no interest in VT or any school in the area. Harvin was down to USCw and UF. Beamer gave up because he knew Harvin wasn't coming.
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    Atlanta, I was there at the time. The fans were wailing over trying to go after him. Everyone wanted Percy, no matter how much of a problem child he was. Fans were talking to McDaniel, Harvin's family and Harvin's high school coach, and were pounding on Beamer to do more. Unless you know more than i do about it, if Beamer was "trying hard," it would be news to thousands of fans who followed every move he made in Harvin's direction. I think there was only one visit to the school, IIRC. None of the recruiting sites even mention VT as offering or even being interested.

"A bunch of crap" makes it sound as though you were offended at the notion. It's not that big a deal, and it certainly isn't an insult.
  15. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,369
    Hopefully, we'll get them when we go to 16 teams.
  16. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,496
    If VT wanted to be in the SEC they would be, Mizzo was the backup plan, VT could have bailed out of the ACC just like Maryland, they like their home among the cupcakes.
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    More ignorance. When will it ever end?

* They are tied by their extremely strong state legislature, who stuck their neck out bigtime to get them into the ACC in the first place.

* The President and the Board of Directors wanted the SEC for years to enhance their research capabilities. Believe it or not, athletics do not control VPI&SU. They aren't alabama.

* Virginia Tech is not as wealthy as Maryland. The buyout is HUGE!

If they like cupcakes, they wouldn't be scheduling the likes of Alabama, LSU and Ohio State to start the season, rather than take the easy way out and schedule Toledo, UAB, Miami of Ohio or some directional school to get their bugs out. The fans wanted nothing more than to go to the SEC, but the fans have little or no say.
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,349
    Facts are useless around here worm....you know that ;)
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    But the ignorance is extreme...
    • Like Like x 1
  20. bionicgator

bionicgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +155
    A major "MAJ" sighting. Good to have him back. :shhh: