Vols and VaTech to play at Bristol Speedway (160,000)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 9, 2013.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,399
    They're gonna need to do the fishbowl thing and enclose the field in thick magnifying glass so you can see the action from the stands. :geek:
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,033
    They'd also have to put a few of those massive Jumbotrons all around. A novel approach, but not very doable...
  3. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    I don't care about any of that. The records don't matter (rattle off the teams that they've beaten this year), nor does what they did in a season opener against an overconfident Bama squad that still whipped their butts.

My son was a member of the Gator team in 2010 and 2011 and I and my wife were around the UF players alot. Even my wife, who doesn't care about football could see the difference. Compared to the athletes on the UF team, these guys were smaller and less athletic. I know what I saw. And I was stone-cold sober as a matter of fact.

The only way that VT could beat us is to be the latest winner in the five-turnover sweepstakes. Past winners: UGA, scUM, and Louisville. They have almost no SEC-level athletes, and they ARE in a downward spiral, despite a mirage 5-1 record. Mike Vick and Bruce Smith are not walking through that door.
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,033
    Ahhh, Gator fan arrogance at its finest.

1) Rattle off the teams Florida beat this year; (2) Go to any Bama board or their website and see the respect they have for VT's defense. They didn't play vanilla in that game. I watched it. In fact, I can go Gator and say that VT gave the game away. Most of Bama's scores were on mistakes by VT's special teams.

Sheer size and strength does not necessarily translate to football excellence. FSU and Miami also have bigger, stronger, faster players than VT and the Hokies have more ACC titles than both combined since expansion in 2004. And tell the VT players in the NFL that they simply are not athletic enough. Many of them seem to stick in the NFL as starters, rather than disappear after a year or two. I wonder how those unathletic players can shut Alabama's offense down to 206 yards?

Ahh, the tried and true "We gave the game away" arrogance. No one can beat Da Mighty Gatas. We can only beat ourselves...
  5. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +651
    I measured it from the picture and if the field was centered to the infield, the FRONT ROW on both ends would be about 150 yards from the closest goal line!

The perspective of the picture is a little deceiving as far as the stands because the camera angle is not directly over the stadium, so the stands at the top left that you are referring to look much bigger and the stands on the bottom right appear much shorter. But if you average the distances, the back rows on both sides are probably an additional 70 yards. So the back rows that you referenced are probably closer to 220 yards away from the closest goal line. That's over 2 football fields and about twice as far away as you guessed!

Not saying that to correct you but to demonstrate exactly how bad the view is going to be. Like I said above, they could probably easily fit 4 full football fields inside the infield and then you've got the width of the track and pit areas on top of that.
  6. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243
    I assume they have a plan in place to address the sight line deficiencies. Not sure what they could do other than temporary projectors to give fans more of a close up view. Those players are going to look tiny!
  7. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,031
    I don't take it as a correction--but as a major supportive statement. Only problem is that yours--being more accurate--makes it even worse than I guessed!!

220 yards to the closest goal line, which would mean over 300 yards to the other goal line....now THAT is significant. I just don't find this whole concept as even close to being feasible. Not at all.

Well--it could make for one humongous tailgate event though.:ninja:
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,240
    But dey'r puttin' da football field whar dem RVs go mayun!

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  9. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +651
    Here's a thought. What if they allowed RV parking on the infield around the field?!?! People could watch the game from lawn chairs on the roof of their RV, to capture the full college football/NASCAR experience.
  10. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +944
    Hey Earl, we can't even hear the motors from the QBs from here...
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,336
    GOOD idea. The vollies could come out lookin' like this:

[​IMG]
  12. klgator

klgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +112
    If Bama played the players could put the stickers of all their sponsors on their uniforms.
  13. DoctorGator

Ratings Received:
    +297
    Hey, Einsteen, tell me how many games the Gators have lost in the last two years when we didn't turn the ball over a bunch. For an old joker, you sure haven't learned much from all your years on this globe. But hey, you're so freaking humble that it makes up for it. No arrogance in any of your posts! Nosiree, just abject humility. Congratulations.

I stand by what I said. Florida would not offer scholarships to a quarter of VT's players. Deny that. Better yet, name them - but do it humbly.
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,033
    Einstein! Wow, now we are going ad hominen. About what I expected...

The last two years only? Why not go farther back to 2010-11? After all, we be Da Mighty Gatas! Y'know, bigger, faster, more physical -- and two teams that would have gotten beaten down by the 2010-11 VT teams.

But going back to 2012, we lost three games due to multiple turnovers, and that is the ONLY reason we lost. As though we were so great our 105th ranked offense would be good enough to RULE anywhere else...

We damned near lost to Louisiana-Lafayette and struggled to beat Jacksonville State. Did we grind THEM in the dust as well? Or is it the ol' "Well, we just overlooked them; didn't care about the game" excuse?

I get it. The Gators only lose games where they give up the ball. The opposing defense NEVER has anything to do with it. But when the OTHER team loses games due to multiple turnovers, it is because they couldn't withstand the pressure of that Gata defense. USCe last year didn't give the game away; the Gata defense TOOK it!

So typical and predictable.

As for the schollies, you said the following:

"There are not more than 20 of their 85 players that could play for UF." A quarter of VT's 85 players is 21, which would mean the other 64 WOULD play for UF. Which one is it? Heck, there are probably 21 Gators that couldn't play for VT, particularly on their defense, which is probably as good as ours...

Be humble..."Doc." Last post for this little Johnson-measuring urination contest.
  15. DoctorGator

Ratings Received:
    +297
    Wormwood,
    1) No. Not Einstein. Einsteen. Don't flatter yourself.
    2) Idiotic argument. You're starting to embarrass yourself. Why not go back to 1990. Since then NOBODY has a better record than the Gators. That's G-a-t-o-r-s, the way that people that don't hate UF spell the name of the mascot. Anyway, I'm not at all convinced that any VT team from recent years could beat Florida unless we turned the ball over a bunch. The 2010 Gators beat Penn State and the 2011 Gators beat Ohio State - both those teams were as good as VT, IMHO.
    3) What does our 105th-ranked offense have to do with playing an out-of-conference team? Our offense was ranked 105th because it wasn't very good and it went up against SEC defenses every week. If we'd have been in acc, we would have been ranked, say 65th or so.
    4) Now you're losing your grip. We most certainly did not struggle to beat Jax State. Are you really crazy? And who is this "we" you keep referring to. You're obviously a troll.
    5) More inane rambling. Who said anything about USCe? What is a Gata?
    6) So typical and predictable only for a genius like you
    7) Quote: As for the schollies, you said the following: "There are not more than 20 of their 85 players that could play for UF." A quarter of VT's 85 players is 21, which would mean the other 64 WOULD play for UF. Which one is it? Heck, there are probably 21 Gators that couldn't play for VT, particularly on their defense, which is probably as good as ours...
    Reply: Oh, my gosh! You're not a troll. You have Alzheimer’s, don't you? Sorry, man.
  16. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,033
    Classic! Now we're using the tried and true, "IF we were in the ACC , we would dominate" argument, which is demonstrable nonsense.

Florida against AQ OOC competition, 2010-2012

Year----Opponent------------Yards Gained

2010...........USF...........................423
    2010...........Florida State...............276
    2010...........Penn State..................279
    2011...........Florida State...............184
    2011...........Ohio State..................263
    2012...........Florida State...............399
    2012...........Louisville....................286

Total..........................................301 yards/game

Virginia Tech minus mid-major games:

Average........................................397 yrds/game

VT has the edge.

Common Opponents, perhaps?

Year-----------Opponent------------Florida--------Virginia Tech

2012..................BGSU....................365................396
    2012..................FSU......................399................385
    2010..................FSU......................276................442

Average....................................347................409

VT has the edge again.

Gee, we need to find SOMETHING that Would support your argument.

Year------Common Team-------SEC Team---Yds------VT yds

2010......Florida State............Florida..............276........442
    2010......Duke......................Alabama............626........501
    2010......North Carolina.........LSU...................313........418
    2010......North Carolina.........Tennessee..........339........418
    2010......Georgia Tech...........Georgia..............425........335
    2010......Florida State............USCe.................414........442
    2010......Wake Forest.............Vandy...............443.........605

2011......Clemson..................USCe................420.........258
    2011......Georgia Tech............Georgia.............380.........476
    2011......Wake Forest.............Vandy...............481.........473
    2011......Wake Forest.............Miss State.........382.........473
    2011......Clemson..................Auburn..............435.........258

2012......BGSU......................Florida..............365.........396
    2012......Florida State.............Florida..............399.........385
    2012......Clemson..................LSU..................219.........406
    2012......Clemson..................USCe................444.........406
    2012......Georgia Tech............Georgia.............376.........329
    2012......Pitt.........................Ole Miss............387.........344
    2012......Clemson..................Auburn..............374.........406
    2012......Rutgers...................Arkansas...........492.........187

Average....................................................420..........418

VT would have had the edge if not for the Rutgers game last year compared to Arkansas.

Mind you, VT's offense was ranked 5th in the ACC in 2010, 3d in 2011 and 9th in 2012. IOW, a middle-of-the-pack ACC offense. Yet their offensive production was virtually identical to SEC teams, including Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, and USCe.

VT's offense was better than ours in virtually every measurement, and could hold their own with the SEC at large against common opposition, and VT's offense is their WEAK link, as it is Florida's. Indeed, there are not two teams more similar than VT and Florida. So dispense with this "If we were in the ACC" nonsense. It doesn't fly. Quit being a homer, sneering at other teams and conferences. You should be better than that.

Flail away, troll...
  18. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    Worm, I gotta tell ya, your love for VT is a bit irrational. I lived in Northern VA for 12 agonizing years and heard the VT hype EVERY YEAR and they sh*t the bed EVERY YEAR as far as being in the national championship hunt.

I taught at a HS that won two state championships and was in the playoffs every year and only one of those kids could play in the SEC. The state doesn't produce that many elite players and those players many times go to schools in other states, Percy Harvin ring a bell? HS ball in VA is just not that good.
  19. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +67

I don't know what's worse a "doctor gator" that "has" a son on the team, or had one, arguing with a Virginia tech wannabe about who has better athletes.

It's va friggin tech, maybe a top 30 program on a good day. Some nice years decent players but not on the level of UF. Not even close over the last 20 plus years. Give me any stat you want I doubt any coach at UF lost a recruiting war to virginny tech.

As for the doctor in the house I would be embarrassed if my dad was posting on message boards and I played for UF, which makes me question if that is true and the whole doctor thing is false as well...idiotic argument on both sides!
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,240
    I know your new, so before YOU embarrass yourself...

You do know we have some respected posters (who are parents of players) on this board right?

Kyle Christy's dad posts here.
    ...As did Ms. Pouncey.