Vols and VaTech to play at Bristol Speedway (160,000)

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 9, 2013.

1. trustamerica

trustamerica Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    What a great idea!
    When the fans get bored they can watch the race!
    The only way they can fill their game with fans!
  2. mildee

mildee Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    LOL-----I see what you did there.
  3. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173
    Agree with everything you said about VT the school and the fanbase. But I've seen them play in person. There are not more than 20 of their 95 players that could play for UF. I sat right behind their bench, Row 10, and was amazed at the lack of apparent athleticism on that team. I saw alot of skinny legs and not alot of rippled arms. There are very few athletes on that team. We'd grind them to dust if we don't turn the ball over. It wouldn't be close. Physical mismatch.

But culturally, they would be a great fit in the SEC. Plus, like aTm, just getting in the SEC would improve their recruiting. I coveted them for the SEC as far back as before they joined the acc.

As for filling the stadium, if they and UT continue their downward spiral, they may have trouble filling it up.
  4. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +427
    Here's the problem with this idea. Most running tracks that go around a football field are 0.25 miles. The track at Bristol is 0.533 miles, which is short for a race track, but I assume measured from the inside edge of the tract. But I assume that means that the width of the open space (track, pit area and infield) between the seating areas has got to be OVER double what it would be in Lane or Neyland Stadium, where the stands are close to the field.

The problem is that seating, even the front rows, is going to be VERY far from the field! Even if they put the field right at the edge of the infield, right along the pavement, that's still got to be 40-50 yards away from the front row seats. If they center the field to the infield, I've got to assume it will be 60-70 yards from the front rows. I suppose they could try to put some kind of temporary seating on the track, or allow blanket seating on the track.

If you look at the view of the track from to top rows, a car is very small in scale. Now imagine trying to watch people playing football on the infield at that scale. The view for that game is going to absolutely suck!!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    When did you watch them, Doc? Remember, Alabama gained 206 yards of offense on thise skinny-armed defenders, and a large number of them tend to get to the NFL very early in the draft.

If we played them this year, theirs would be the toughest defense we would face.

As for their "downward spiral," you are right about Tennessee, but over the past ten years:

Year------------Tennessee----------Virginia Tech---------Florida

2004..................10-3...........................10-3........................7-4
    2005....................5-6...........................11-2........................9-3
    2006....................9-4...........................10-3......................13-1
    2007..................10-4...........................11-3........................9-4
    2008....................5-7...........................10-4......................13-1
    2009....................7-6...........................10-3......................13-1
    2010....................6-7...........................11-3........................8-5
    2011....................5-7...........................11-3........................7-6
    2012....................5-7.............................7-6......................11-2
    2013....................3-3.............................5-1........................4-1

Total...............65-54 (.546)..............96-31 (.756)..........94-28 (.770)

Even if you take off one game for the alleged ACC schedule inferiority, VT would still be 86-41 (.677). That is MILES ahead of Tennessee, and well esconsed in the top third of the SEC. I don;t think they are on any downhill slide, any more than we were in 2011.
  6. navygator88

navygator88 Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    From Google Earth

[​IMG]
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    Navy, that can't be to scale! Neyland holds 107,000. If that picture is any indication, Bristol would hold all of Tennessee's capacity on one end.

But if it is, the field would be so far away...
  8. navygator88

navygator88 Member

Ratings Received:
    +141

I thought it was BS at first too. I looked on Google Maps and set both to the same scale

Neyland

Bristol

Looking at the source images I think the composite is accurate
  9. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +427
    Okay, now I have got to call you on this one. No doubt VT has a really strong fanbase, but their stadium is only 66,000. If there was that much demand for tickets, they'd have an 80,000+ seat stadium right now.

They may have a waiting list, just like UF has had a long waiting list in years past, but I doubt it's very long right now. I don't think UF has one any more and I would be surprised if VT still has one. I don't know that there are any schools right now that's seeing an increased demand for season tickets. It's just how things are right now. Most schools, including UF, have seen a significant decrease in season ticket demand.

I think any time you move a game off campus, you're almost sure to see a decrease in ticket demand. Even at the Florida/Georgia game, there are only about 40,000 fans from each school. There are years tickets are in high demand but many years, there are empty seats. I doubt either school could ever get more than 50,000 fans to Jax, even if the stadium had the capacity.

My guess is right now, neither UTN or VT would be a strong enough draw to bring more than 40-50,000 fans at most. My guess is that they probably don't get more than 80,000 people at that game.
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    No, they can't, and it is entirely due to political reasons in Richmond that has to do with UVa and other state schools. Not that easy. They are working on filling the open end, however, which would bring them to about 75K or so.

Agreed.

Right in concept, but remember, this would be a singular event. If it was an annual game, not only would I agree with you, I would imaginie Bristol would make adjustments to better accommodate the fans.

For this singular event, I'd say at least 100K, and probably more. Folks would come simply for the spectacle.
  11. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +427
    I think navygator88's image is probably about right. One thing to keep in mind with the scale on that is that I suspect football stadiums are typically going to be a lot steeper than a race trace. And Neyland is really an 80,000 seat stadium, but they narrowed the seats to raise capacity.

But almost the entire Neyland Stadium fits inside the track area.

And if you look at that, that means that the closest stands view of the field in Bristol is going to be about the same distance from the field as the worst nose bleed seats in Neyland.
  12. navygator88

navygator88 Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    I did a photoshop myself. The picture is legit
  13. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Looks pretty close, I'd assume the speedways seating is a lot flatter as compared to CFB stadiums.
  14. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +427
    To support Navygator88, keeping in mind going back to the fact that a quarter mile track easily goes around a football field, you should be able to fit 4 football fields inside the track area at Bristol. That scale looks just about right on Navygator88's photo comparison.
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    I was thinking about the steepness issue as well. Hard so see three dimensions on a two-dimensional photograph.

And did Neyland narrow the seats to raise capacity? Heck, how does Lulu and Junior ever sit down? If that's the case, however, there is VT's answer for getting the capacity up to 90K. Each seat is 12" across!
  16. navygator88

navygator88 Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    Took photos from Neyland and Bristol using the same scale. I highlighted Neyland to make it easier to compare

[​IMG]
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    Great work, Navy! Adds to the immensity...
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +503
    Disagree because this will be much more than just a football game. For a one-off event I imagine it will be quite a spectacle. If it became a running tradition I could see it losing its luster due to sight lines, field proximity, etc.
  19. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    The race surface at Bristol is not very wide and is banked at 36 degrees (which there has been some argument about). Still, its at least 32 degrees if you accept Ryan Newmans argument which BMS PR has argued against.

However, the overall premise is correct. BMS is a much bigger facility than Neyland. It will be interesting to see how it looks when this game is played.
  20. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +546
    From those pics, it would appear that if one were sitting at the top row in between 1st and 2nd turn---you would be over 100 yards away from the BACK of the endzone below you!! When the game was at the OTHER end of the field, there is no way in hell you would be able to enjoy trying to watch it as it would take the Hubble to give you a good view.

Idea is nice for record attendance only--for game enjoyment, that will suck out loud.