Vols and Mizzou

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator_gary, May 10, 2014.

1. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    In the last month or so I have thought that both Tennessee and Mizzou will be turrible this upcoming year. Tennessee seems to have turned some things around and may be competitive. Mizzou still looks to be in trouble. What are you feelings on these two teams? I like Ark, LSU, UK and UF to make the tourney as of this minute. Provide your in depth off season analysis
  2. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    What has Tennessee done to turn things around?
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,542
    I know nothing about the coach mizzou hired but I can say without a doubt it's an upgrade.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Robert Hubbs decided to stay. They also got a recruit late in the game for 2014 (Mostella) who was highly ranked. Throw Josh Richardson into that mix and they should have some good guards. If they can find some bigs, they could make the tournament this year.
  5. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    I agree with that. I have always thought Frank Haith was a waste of space. I sat behind his bench last year when they came to the O'Connell center and he is about as useless as it gets. My high school coach could coach circles around that guy.
  6. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +432
    I would be shocked if Tennesee or Missouri finishes with a winning record overall
  7. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    That's not nearly enough to make the tournament. It'll be miraculous if they add quality front court players at this point.
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  8. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,270
    Tenn will be awful next season
  9. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    I sat behind his bench as well. We were running his kids off the floor, and this dingbat used his timeout to argue with one of our fans. He is clueless as a coach.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Somehow or other, no matter what their rosters look like before the season, both Missouri and Tennessee tend to produce relatively competitive teams, even if in no other places than Columbia and Knoxville.

However, right now, at least, things don't look particularly good next year for either program.
  11. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Ian Chiles transfers to Tennessee
    Jeff Goodman [ARCHIVE]

ESPN.com | May 13, 2014
    Tennessee has added more immediate help with the addition of IUPUI transfer Ian Chiles.

The 6-foot-1 senior, who graduated and will be able to play his final season for new Vols coach Donnie Tyndall in 2014-15, told ESPN.com that he committed to Tennessee on Tuesday.

"I chose Tennessee because of the opportunity to obtain my masters degree in a counseling program," Chiles told ESPN.com.

Chiles, who averaged 15.8 points last season at IUPUI, visited Auburn and Tennessee and had scheduled a trip to Maryland. Chiles' sister played softball at Tennessee.

Tyndall took over a team that had just five scholarship players following the departure of coach Cuonzo Martin to California, but he has added five players in the past week: junior college transfers Kevin Punter and Devon Baulkman, as well as freshmen Detrick Mostella and Jabari McGhee.
  12. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Russ Wood@RussHoops · 2m
    2014 Wekiva (FL) forward Willie Carmichael has committed to Tennessee

It's kinda interesting to see Tennessee's roster built so quickly.
  13. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Tennessee Adds Four Players in Two Days to Transform Roster
    May 14th, 2014 8:38 am
    New Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall continued to transform his roster with the addition of four players on Monday and Tuesday.

Tyndall has now added seven players in the last week.

On Tuesday, the Vols added Devon Baulkman, a 6-foot-5 guard from Bainbridge, Ga.; Willie Carmichael, a 6-7 power forward from Apopka, Fla.; and Ian Chiles, a high-scoring 6-1 guard who is transferring from IUPUI.

On Monday, Eric McKnight, a 6-9 transfer from Florida Gulf Coast, committed to the Vols.

Both Chiles and McKnight will be eligible immediately.

Tyndall had already landed freshmen Jabari McGhee and Detrick Mostella and junior college transfer Kevin Punter.

Baulkman has spent the past two years at Gulf Coast State College in Panama City. He plans to enroll at UT this summer and will be a junior next season with two years of eligibility remaining.

He had previously signed to play for Tyndall at Southern Miss but was granted a release after the coaching transition that brought Tyndall to Tennessee.

“Devon is another versatile, long, athletic guy that fits our system really well,” Tyndall said. “He can play all three perimeter positions, and that versatility will allow him to contribute immediately to our team.”

As a sophomore last season, Baulkman led GCSC to a 20-9 record while averaging 15.5 points, 4.9 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.8 steals per game and earning All-Panhandle Conference honors for the second straight year.

Carmichael also committed to Southern Miss but was released. He then reportedly picked the Vols over Florida Atlantic, Florida Gulf Coast and Alabama.

Chiles, who averaged 15.8 points last season, also considered Auburn and Tennessee and had planned a visit to Maryland, according to ESPN.com.

“I chose Tennessee because of the opportunity to obtain my masters degree in a counseling program,” Chiles told ESPN.com.

McKnight averaged 6.7 points in two seasons at Florida Gulf Coast. He was reportedly booted from that team by head coach Joe Dooley for a violation of team rules.

He is eligible to play immediately at Tennessee as a fifth-year graduate student.