Vitale was Terrible

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GothamGator, Dec 10, 2013.

1. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    I agree with Gotham.
    And I add that he annoys me tremendously whenever he mentions that Patric should be drafted by the NFL. It is so DISRESPECTFUL. Come on Dick, he is a basketball player, shut up about football.

And those tacky fouls on Patric rankled me. Good grief, the only reason Kansas got close was that he had to sit out for a long period in the second half.
  2. mamag8ter

mamag8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,614
    He has wonderful character and a big heart, but he is difficult to listen to and praised Kansas players to high Heaven!! It got old!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. aerogator70

aerogator70 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    He did mention those things you bring up but he mentioned them at the beginning of the game. Once Kansas started closing the gap, he did a 180.
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    Usually I like him. Last night he was quite annoying.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +554
    Agreed. It was a joke and pretty darn funny one at that, mixed in with some praise of Scottie's grit and determination. If you need to be spoon-fed a candy coated broadcast, that's what the Gator Radio Network is for.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    agreed - the guy has been basically unlistenable the past few years. His schtick used to be somewhat entertaining, but that was only when he coupled it with decent analysis. These days he's about 99% schtick and the level of his analysis has gone in the toilet.
  7. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    Exactly. He was just generally annoying. At one point I said to my wife that I wish he would shut the F up.

I didn't say that for any particular reason except that he was annoying. It wasn't just the content.

He did however have high praise for Wilbekin despite harping on the suspensions.
  8. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +356
    I usually support Dickie V to no end but he was pretty bad tonight, kept talking about Pat Young getting drafted...In the NFL....all while he has a fairly dominant game, kept talking about Wiggens, endlessly, and every time Scotty did something great, which was often, all he could talk about was the suspension, his partner had to keep inflecting that Billy has heaped praise on him since and he has done all the right things, finally, the last five mins were hard to listen to as UF guys were getting hacked all over and we were getting touch fouls called on us and he never says a word until a guy going to the hoop for UK gets hit AFTER he has already lost the ball, sorry Dickie V, that is not a foul.
  9. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    I thought his kid graduated from UF? It would seem odd for him to hate us. But, I didn't listen to him last night.
  10. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +650
    I agree with many of the thoughts in this thread already - on both sides of the issue.

Don't know any other way to say it than to point out two truths.

1 - Vitale is, ask anyone who has met him or knows him, one of the best human beings in the sports world. He loves too much, if its possible and I think this clouds his judgement sometimes when he's covering the sport. I've talked to people here in Lexington that are relative nobodies and they've all said that, without exception, Vitale remembered their names and what they do after having only met them once. Everyone just beams about how authentic the guy is. Also, keep in mind that while some of you think he pander's to UK (he may), many Kentucky fans think he does this to other teams (Duke Vitale/Dukie V).

2 - He hyped up KU last night at the expense of Florida. Whether or not he was cheering for a close game or for the road team, it appeared as if he was partial.

I try and look at him as a caricature almost. A legend in the sport, mainly because of the past and not the present, who I'll miss once he's gone. I try not to critique him like I would other talking heads or national writers. I view him as set apart from that group. He does the same job, so maybe I shouldn't. But I do.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +346
    Does anyone have the video of Vitale carrying Wiggins jock strap after the game?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Definitely seems like a great guy, but his fawning over Wiggins seemed a bit much for me as well.
  13. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,730
    I don't doubt Vitale is a quality person character wise but I can only take so much of him no matter what he is talking about.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Was it that bad? I didn't hear it was at the game but I've heard other's mad about it as well.
  15. tcmba

tcmba Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,815
    I'd like to hear more about this. Can you elaborate?
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    I thought it was great when they were doing the impersonations as a tribute and Chris Fowler did his saying something to the effect of "oh I'm dickie v I'm a well known basketball announcer but I talk about college football all the time even though I dont know anything about it, maybe I should just stick to basketball". I dont think I could have summed it up any better myself.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    Awhile back I was flipping around the TV seeing what was on. I came across an old NBA game and Dickie V was the announcer. It was before his current incarnation and he was just an announcer, not over the top the way he does now. It sounded kind of strange to hear him like that.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    Dickie V's job is to hype teams with lots of ESPN games. It has been this for around 30 years. I can't believe anyone takes what he says personally. His love for the Gators only goes as far as how many Gator games there will be on ESPN and if they need any hype. His love for our opponent when we are playing them and he is announcing follows the same pattern.
  19. gatorinmi

gatorinmi Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    Same for me. He seems like a good guy, I've just never liked listening to him. In the past he used to talk more about Duke than the game he was covering.
  20. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    Pulled this out of Mark Titus's Grantland.com college basketball post today.

Correct Answer A :)