Virginia governor's race

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    The whole idea of a party (gang) system is that a certain portion of the population will identify with that party out of hand. So of course the opposition will join in. There could be any number of people who do this in the early stages (multiple parties) but eventually it will boil down to two. Utilities are something like this, except they will devour one another until there's only one, due to economy of scale.

I'm currently in Vermont. The state legislature here has three official parties: Dems, Pubs, Progressives. And don't get excited, the Progressives are not Democrat-lite, although undoubtedly they're closer to them than the Pubs. The Progressives only have five seats in the current legislature, as opposed to like 45 Pubs and 90 Dems. But it's a start and they have a real voice.

And Vermont is truly a different world. I'm used to Virginia, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Kentucky mostly. I've lived elsewhere but those places are most familiar to me. Vermont has only 600K people. For contrast Virginia has 8M. I wish Richmond was capable of taking a few notes from Montpelier. Not all, just the good ones. But of course they won't. They'll claim the inability to, like "it's not comparable....blah blah blah." Of course not. Nothing is. Take the good, leave the bad. But that would put professional politicians out of work.
  2. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,001
    In the struggle for power and/or protection of their own self-interests, people will gravitate to groups that align with them. That we have two massive parties is not unnatural, but I think folks recognize that at once they can appear to be one monolithic enterprise with little difference between them and a bunch of reasons to help each other maintain a strangle hold on that power.

However, while I believe this to be the case, regardless of which party one more identifies with, ordinary citizens enable the two-party system and are thus at fault as well, even those who might belong to third parties since if they vote for anyone but the third party they are helping to prop up the two party system.

And this is where sometimes, I think third party types get things wrong. They are so focused on maybe advancing their own narrow interests, it usually occurs somewhat tethered to one of the big two, and rather than maybe working with other third party groups to better advance the notion of third party alternatives, they engage in only reinforcing their own viewpoints just as the big two do. It's almost Marxian in it's effect with the bourgeoisie being Dems/Pubs and the proletariate being third parties who are divided among themselves.

But also as I mentioned earlier, and others here might be better able to speak to it, but our system of government doesn't seem designed for more than two parties (not necessarily deliberately) whereas a parliamentary system that has pluralities that can win seems much more suitable.
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    Then we're sure to get another Obama.