Virginia governor's race

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Oct 11, 2013.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,168
    This here race had been looked to as a bellweather for the year...swing state, 2 known commodities running etc.
    It looks more and more like the dem will win, but don't really care since both are tools. What is interesting is that the libertarian in the race, Robert Sarvis, is polling at 9%. For a state like VA where much of the population is in the wealthy suburbs of DC, that is pretty amazing. If he had gotten to 10% he would have been in the final debate which would have been awesome, but he came in at 9%. This is why I vote libertarian much of the time, not because I think they can win but to get them on the stage. Had he made it in the debate he probably could have doubled his standing, but as it is he might very well decide the election.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/...li-virginia-governor-election-2013-98127.html
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,804
    The only reason I may start to vote is to gain equal ballot access for Libertarians. The two-party system simply does not work.
  3. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,587
    Got to see a few of McAuliffe's totally fraudulent ads on, I think, Megyn's show last night. They were... unsurprising.
  4. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,051
    It's no Patrick Henry vs. Thomas Jefferson. (Of course that really wasn't the case as the Governor was installed by the legislature in those days, but I think the point is still valid.)
  5. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    When no party has a majority, compromise is the only way to get anything done. Our 2 party system has been broken for a long time.
  6. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Why would a three party system work then? Is three the magic number? I am not being snarky either, I just wonder sometimes what people expect. I am not against third parties, mind you but I just don't see how they would improve things unless there were significant numbers behind them.
  7. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,804
    I won't pretend to have an answer as far as this country working better with a 3 party system, but I do know that 3 legitimate choices with an equal platform can only be a good thing.

To me, Dems and Reps are like two gangs fighting over turf. When one leaves the office and the other gets elected in, they try to reverse anything they can merely out of spite, if nothing else. So basically we have a tug of war going on and were always moving backwards, no matter which side gets in.
  8. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +491
    Why not do way with all party's ? Just have people running for the good of the country
  9. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +779
    What's really pathetic in this state dominated by fat white liberal lawyers living off of the government is that neither party had a real primary. It's the big government puppet versus the bigger government puppet. Sounds like fun.
  10. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,317
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,540
    I've always thought that would be an interesting thing to consider.
  12. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,804
    I know people roll their eyes when they hear the name Jesse Ventura (for good reason) but he had a brilliant idea for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTKUBw1Wbg8
  13. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,115
    To try and pretend that everyone in this country somehow fits into two parties is asinine. I haven't identified with either of the parties in so long it's ridiculous . Forcing people to vote for principles they don't agree with, or can't relate to, simply because there are only two choices is a poor way to run a government. If the ultimate goal of a republic is to represent it's people we need to quit pretending there are only two types of people in this country, R & D.

Edit: and no, 3 isn't the magic number.
  14. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +1,115
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,168
    I don't think it's the magic number.
    But I also don't think that it's its a coincidence that the last 2 times we had remotely viable third party candidates we got Reagan and Clinton. A third party forces then out if the zero sum game nihilism the 2 parties play with each other and keeps them honest.
  16. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    It is exactly like two gangs fighting over turf, but to some degree seems almost designed for something like this have come about. Unlike, say, a parliamentary system, which tends to make it easier for multiple parties to exist--but even then...

But it's not just the politicians fault. Even folks that join third parties get tired of it or don't show much support and then wind up not mounting viable candidates, which makes it easier for the two parties to basically collude with one another from any real threat.

I also think that it's "our" fault because we spend so much time demonizing those who don't think in lockstep with us that we fail to see where there is likely common ground and thus, we add to the two-party stranglehold because perversely, we wind up defending whatever "lesser" enemy/party we tend to more likely side with.
  17. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Anything other than 1 or 2 is a magic number. When there are 2, there's always a majority. When there's 3 or more, there would presumably not be one. If there were, that would mean the populace was truly behind that party.

But when there's no majority, one party can't just do what they want and one of the 3 couldn't just throw a fit and try to shut everything down because the other 2 would just band together and marginalize them.
  18. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    I am not trying to pretend anything. I didn't say that everyone fits into two parties, only question whether in our system third parties are really viable--like I said, I am not against them, in fact, I would support them and have at local/state levels where I liked the candidate. But it's also been my experience that many third party candidates just suck. :)
  19. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +1,115
    Yeah, I wasn't directing my rant at you, just in response to what you said. My bad. Based on your postings I'd think you fall into some other party beside the big 2 as well.
  20. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    No bad on your part, I responded that way...just in case :)

I'd be more inclined to look at 3rd party candidates if they were viable but like I said, many of them that I've seen aren't very good, but I think the larger issue is whether they are electable?

Sure maybe a governor here or there, and certainly local pols, but national is a diff story.