Viewpoint of Gator of 50 years

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BottledwaterGator, Sep 7, 2013.

1. swangator

swangator Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    Watching SC/GA right now ... they line up on O ... play assignment football, and execute. There's nothing earth shattering about what Mike freakin Bobo is calling. It's basic college football offense. But he's had Matthew Stafford and Aaron Murray to execute it. We've had some problems at the QB position. We just have. In my very humble opinion, it's the same type of problem we had at the RB position after Meyer left. We had two guys who were recruited for the spread but were too small to play the position every down in the SEC. We've upgraded at that position and it WILL play dividends in the not too distant future. We currently have a QB who would have been a BEAST in the spread. Driskel would have put up Tebow numbers in that system, no doubt in my mind. He's built for it. But that's not what Champ knows and not what he's going to install (nor should he). It just is what it is right now. Until we get a QB built for the pro system just like we got some RB's built for it, we're going to struggle.

I don't blame Jeff. But a Connor Shaw, Aaron Murray or AJ McCarron would have blown that Miami team off the field today with the exact same plays Pease called today. The plays were there in the red zone to be had, we don't have the trigger puller to execute them.

Muschamp was built for SEC football. I believe that and believe once he has the personnel to run the system he knows how to win football games with, you'll see a precision O that chews up clock, takes care of the ball and scores in the red zone. With the D that he's capable of producing, he's going to do some major damage once he has the correct personnel on O.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Muschamp said in his presser that he didn't care about the interceptions.
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +827
    It was far more complex than just that. And believe it or not, the DC also had demands on Spurrier, the OC. They worked as a team.
  4. AlfaGator

AlfaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    Very good stuff!
  5. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. If Stoops called a blitz I just can't see Spurrier over ruling him and calling a different play.
  6. nastyreptile

nastyreptile Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +506

And now we know that he doesn't always tell the truth..obviously so as not to totally destroy Driskel's confidence....:ninja:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    He didn't say that. He said that Jeff cannot throw into coverage in the redzone. That if we end drives with field goals we'll win lots of games. Try watching the entire thing, its on gatorzone.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  8. charlegator2

charlegator2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    So, Driskel is a bad fit because he is a spread guy, but he was still better than Brisette? Was Brisette just that awful?
  9. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    Driskel can run, with our sometimes porous o line that's important.
  10. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Reelgator and Swangator are making sense.

Just one thought. IMO Driskel has one glaring weakness, and that is he will not throw the ball away when the play isn't there. Today he completed 67% of his passes-- not even counting the completions to Miami-- for nearly 300 yds. But, for a couple of missed throws, one in the end zone, and couple of ints that he did not need to throw, and it would have been a very good game. Somehow the coaches have got to get him to focus on getting rid of the ball, even it it involves physical punishment. (just kidding)

There are a few play calls that I would second guess based on my vast high school experience playing line. And 60 years of watching. Too bad Foley won't hire me. If he did everyone could second guess me--but, I would laugh all the way to the bank.

One other thing that JD needs. A healthy OLINE. Again it was a patched up disaster, much like last season.

All this crap about what the coach does or doesn't do wouldn't even be under discussion except
    for about 5 plays, two on defense, which the coach had no control over.