Viewpoint of Gator of 50 years

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BottledwaterGator, Sep 7, 2013.

1. BottledwaterGator

BottledwaterGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    When you have a DC as a head coach, he needs to make sure to let the OC he's hired run the offense. Charlie Pell, Gary Darnell, Ron Zook, and now Champ. Either Pease is a good offensive coordinator or you get a new one.

I don't know more than what we are told by the coaches. Muschamp has said many times that they discuss the gameplan, and we know that we have a great defense. My question is whether or not this is handcuffing our playcalling?

We lost this game because we turned the ball over instead of being happy settling for a field goal attempt. Hope we can keep this thread productive whether it's positive or negative.
  2. kansascitygator

kansascitygator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Good point on the play calling. I was excited when I heard we were getting the Boise State coordinator. Did we really get that or was Peterson running their offense still when Pease was there?

And I also wonder if Pease is being handcuffed by either Muschamp's direction (has to be to some extent) or Driskell's limitations...just wondering out loud here.
  3. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661
    Good OP. Some sense from someone who has seen A LOT more Gator games than the vast majority of those posting in here with all the full bore negative panic.

None of us like losing like we did...not at all. But those of us who have been through more Gator games than half the panic stricken ones have been alive know this is not the end of the world. It is however time to take stock in where our problems lie, and take action to fix them.
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,241
    I don;t think Muschamp handcuffs Pease. Bret knows what Muschamp's philosophy is and tries to accommodate it. He may not have the right players for his system.

I am always wary when some say the head coach handcuffs his coordinators. Some here said Zook handcuffed Strong, which was patently absurd, as Strong repeated denied it when asked. Didn't matter, though.
  5. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    If Muschamp has a philosophy, and Pease tries to accommodate it, isn't that kind of the same thing as handcuffing him?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,241
    Not at all. No coach, not even Spurrier, simply said, "OK, coordinator, you got the offense; run with it." it is the head coach's responsibility to impart his intent (in the military, we call it the Commander's Intent when giving an operations order). The OC will formulate the gameplan in accordance with the head coach's command intent.
  7. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Remember Charlie Pell's first year when the highlight of the season was when we tied Georgia Tech?
  8. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    No HBC in the world allows their OC to 'run' the offense as they see fit. Everything must work within the framework of the HBC's philosophy. Otherwise each coach would only be in it for their own benefit. That is the only way it has or will ever work.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  9. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Actually Spurrier ran the offense and trusted the DC to run the defense.
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,280
    I did NOT like the play calling in this game today.
  11. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    I hope you don't truly believe this.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  12. nastyreptile

nastyreptile Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +516
    It wasn't the game plan, it was the fact that our QB threw 2 bad interceptions at the worst possible time...oh, don't forget the unscheduled fumbles either.

Sure, a couple of those plays turned out bad but Driskel didn't have to throw it into coverage, he needs to manage the game properly, not crap it up.

If no interceptions and no fumbles we kick their A$$es.

If Driskel make better decisions we win going away.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  13. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    He had expectations and as long as they were being met, he left them alone. If he thought that things were going bad there, he certainly got involved.
  14. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661
    Yes I do....full well. I also remember EVERY home game was a sellout as well. And continued to do so year after year after year...even with that first year record of 0-10-1.

While the internet has made it easier to vent/rage/bitch/whine/etc and we didn't have it around back then---the fan base would be unhappy about bad games and losses, but never went into panic modes like now. Not even close.

I would bet the mortgage that if 75% of today's Gator fans were around back in the Dickey/Pell/Hall years--they wouldn't last a full season. They would either turn to another team or just quit caring about football and UF at all.

A select few might start slashing their wrists, based on some of the posts you see lately.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    You don't buy a Ferrari and use it to tow a boat. It seems that's the way things work right now.
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,241
    Make no mistake. The DC, be it Zook, Pruett, Stoops, Hoke, Thompson, Nix, Johnson, or Ward, gets much input on what Spurrier expects. Spurrier leaves the sideline stuff, the development and all that to the DC, but he definitely imparts his intent to them.

Otherwise, he is derelict in his duties as the head coach, who is ultimately responsible for everything that happens on the field.
  17. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Last time I checked...play calling doesnt normally cause turnovers and without turnovers we win the game...we dominated them...really dominated them for 3 qts and give them credit ..their defense kept trying hard. The offense is frustrating but if you watch college football like I have for 52 yrs...then everyone has problems. Our defense is the best in the country and offense is just short of extra talent to help Driskel. I know onew thing...the Burton brothers really hurt us at times...especially Clay, # 88 TE who should never be the target of a pass attempt. He dropped two passes and on a key third down play stood still ten yds down field instead of coming back slightly to the ball,,,result? LB slaps the pass away from his hands and we punt.
    We couldnt run the ball that well all day but did rack up passing yds and you want it the other way. Jones just didnt have the burst and either did Brown. You watch Todd Gurley and he blasts through tackles.
    After a L everyone wants to start whining and this isnt directed at the OP...we just went to a BCS bowl last year for crying out loud. The SCUM wanted this game badly and their star rb Johnson was held to 2.9 yds a carry...thats high cotton. We have a long season to go and with our defense we can ten in a row...but even if we lose to a team like LSU we can still win the east...UGAs defense is awful.
  18. kansascitygator

kansascitygator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    That's what it seemed like. He didn't need to mess with what Bob Stoops was doing.
  19. charlegator2

charlegator2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    This seems obvious to me as well. I guess I'm not smart enough to understand how either (1) the inferior game plan caused all the turnovers or (2) a competent game plan should have been able to overcome 5 turnovers. I get that everything is related, the coaches weren't perfect, and ultimately the coaches are responsible, but really? Save the coach fury for the game when the most important player, who has no viable backup, doesn't obviously screw up over and over again.
  20. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    He got involved when Zook was the DC, but can you tell me Spurrier directed the play calling on defense? He had one demand of his DC which was to get him the ball.