Video : Death by China

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by DarthG8RV3, Feb 10, 2014.

1. DarthG8RV3

DarthG8RV3 Twisted and Evil Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,293
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,051
    No takers on this, eh?

I've seen it. How do you suppose we'd get the power brokers to get on board with trade reform? Who is going to do anything beyond lip service about the currency? You can't get elected or to the top of a MNC with that idea.
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,810
    One of the two people that 'said' he wanted to do something about it got elected... but now he's uninterested. Elections are over and there's no need to make-up more promises that he won't keep.
  4. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    I'm confused. obama says the economy is doing fine. U3 at 6.5%. All those out of work factory guys must be walmart greeters, or grocery store baggers. So what if our politicians sold us down the river, again. It's all fixed now.
  5. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,051
    Obama? Really? Let's try to have a serious discussion. This isn't a post-W problem.

China got into the WTO in 2001. After years and years of sales jobs. They haven't been a "currency manipulator" since 1994. The COC hates it. Even labeling them a currency manipulator is meaningless on its own. That was Romney's big plan. IOW, Obama's, with differnt paperwork.

Elected officials carry the water for the biz's that profit from the status quo. That's how they get elected.
  6. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Our presidential elections are awash with indirect Chinese money. Remember that he who has the gold makes the rules. Get used to it.
  7. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,051
    Agreed. And by indirect I'm including GM/Ford/Chrysler, GE, Wal-mart, Apple, the Chamber of Commerce, etc.

The usual narrative to support this is "But poor people benefit from Wal-mart's cheap sh*t." I embellished that just a bit.

I don't think it takes a degree in economics to see why that's a sucker's concept. But even in this video, you see the guy who is thrilled to have bought the TV for $200 and says if America can't provide it, then it is what it is. He claims it was an impulse purchase, due only to the incredible price.

Debate about how much a person is entitled to a cheap 40" TV on a whim aside, I'm betting that this same fellow would probably agree with the overall message of the video in which he (unwittingly or not) represented part of the problem.

I think we all agree that waiting for companies to voluntarily change is ridiculous. And politics is out of the question. So what to do?

Or is there even a problem? Is the video hyperbole? Does it matter?
  8. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,675
    I've made the conscious effort to Buy American wherever possible--and I hardly think I'm the only one there.

Consumers have been responding that way after the Great Recession put things in perspective...and companies have been responding. Wal-Mart has a major ad campaign going around about how their investing $250 billion dollars into American manufacturing over the coming decade. I doubt it's a freebie--there's a sizable demand out there for American-made products.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,051
    Agreed. I do it to. But it's difficult. Some things (a lot) are simply not made here. But it is indeed getting better. You can now completely clothe yourself with American products. A couple of years back we had a thread along these lines and I went to my closet and looked at my clothes--not a single item made here. Tees, button ups, jeans, khakis, dressy, casual, nice, ratty, all of them. Not all were made in China, but none were made here.

I haven't purchased a single Chinese piece of clothing since. And I try to avoid Asia altogether (no offense Asia). For a while, that meant I just didn't buy new clothes. But now I can find nice stuff, a lot American made, some European. I try to look into it first. There are near-sweatshops in Europe too. But generally there are no Foxconns there, at least.

I also agree that this is the best, most realistic move. Wal-mart certainly isn't being patriotic. They see the tide turning. Sure, they're going to claim it's about being All-Merican, but we know what it really is. And that's fine, whatever it takes.

FWIW, I haven't been in a Wal-mart in 2+ years either. That's not to say that I haven't purchased the exact same things they sell, just at different places. But I feel they're as good a "face" for this problem as any. I'll gladly pay the extra for the disposable crap. Obviously by myself it's meaningless. But this is clearly a growing movement. It's just too bad that Wal-mart has the drop here. Wal-mart shoppers are the least positioned to be able to pay more, even if it's not that much. And the high-rollers avoid Wal-mart for completely different reasons.