1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Vertical jump programs

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Allanon, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +446
    Anybody tried or know anything about all the jump programs out there? Do they really work? Are they worth it? And anything else you can pass along. Thanks.
  2. allig8ralli

allig8ralli Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I'm actually interested as well on this subject.
  3. ThomasGoldkamp

ThomasGoldkamp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I don't know about any specific programs, but I used to do plyometrics all the time and they definitely work. I'm only 5-8 and could touch rim in high school. Actually just did a light set of plyos yesterday.

Let me know if you've never heard of them or want more info.
  4. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,772
    I'm sure they work. On the other hand, most average joes will increase their jump merely by getting stronger squatting with weights and then practicing their jumping.

In other words, double your barbell squat, keep your weight down ... and you'll probably increase your vert substantially.
  5. ThomasGoldkamp

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I've always been a twitch muscle believer. I got pretty explosive without ever doing much leg strength training. Probably naive of me, but I always was worried doing a bunch of leg strength stuff would limit mobility. Since my biggest advantage playing sports was quickness and acceleration, I was always worried about losing that.
  6. dtray

dtray Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I have a program called The Jump Manual...i have yet to get started but it looks good and i've heard it works well
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,772
    I'd be interested in a program that increases hand size. My hands were never big enough to palm the ball so as to get it up and over the rim without the ball flying out of my hand. The best I could ever do was to dunk an under-inflated ball.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    I had a buddy who played ball in high school that desperately wanted to increase his vertical and did all of these sorts of jump training. Got those odd shoes, did weird workouts and well he still couldnt dunk.

If you want to be able to jump higher you need to make the muscles required to jump stronger without putting on added weight. Added weight of course making it harder to jump and then requiring even stronger muscles.

Doing some squats and calf raises as well an activity like box jumps should help.
  9. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,412
    Don't know about any programs.

Don't forget to actually practice jumping as high as you can either. It is one thing to work the crap out of every part individually, but that doesn't necessarily translate to the full, fluid motion.
  10. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    I've been doing a little research and the Jump Manual is always called the best in the reviews I've read.
  11. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    I took him to a workout facility nearby a couple of years ago that did a bunch of different kinds of workouts designed to help with vertical, broad jump, quickness and speed. He went a couple of months until their schedule and his no longer worked together but he increased his vertical by 5 inches and his broad jump by a foot. His 40time improved too but not by much.

I have found a bunch of exercises online that will help. I just wondered if anyone had used any of these jump programs. They seem to have it all in one package and already have it developed for you. And they offer a money back guarantee. Just wanted to see about getting some feedback.
  12. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    We are going to give it a try. We're going out of town for a few days this week. I'm going to order it before we leave so we can look at some of it at least while we are gone. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
  13. ThomasGoldkamp

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Definitely let us know Allanon.

I'd love to get my hops back, which is why I've been doing plyos lately. Also hoping if I can shave about 10 pounds off or flip it to leg muscle I'll be in good shape.
  14. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    He has always been willing to work. He can jump pretty good now but wants to get better at it. He will have some inspiration home for the Summer when his older brother comes home from his freshman year of college. The older brother could always jump. If I remember right, he was in 8th grade the first time he was able to dunk. I hope it will also help him with his speed too.
  15. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +402
    So it has now been a few weeks. Any updates? I am looking at buyingthe jump manual myself and would love a first hand non-biased review.
  16. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    Well, we started a week ago. He is in pretty good shape from football workouts, carrying his golf bag 9 holes everyday for golf practice along with an occasional fullcourt basketball day. The first day of the workouts he handled fine. The 2nd day called for core work and upper body work. Big brother is now home from college so he put him through a big time upper body workout. We did the 2nd big workout of the program which focused on legs. He said his legs were sore afterwards. Today big brother put him through his big upper body workout.

We are incorporating the Jump Manual into his football workouts along with the workouts his big brother is having him do. So I am not having him do all of the Jump Manual workouts. I've discussed it with them in their customer forum and they suggested that. They also said to use some of their workout philosophy in his other workouts.

We have not tested again yet. Probably will not for another week.
  17. holloffamer

holloffamer New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    One of my best friends do plyometrics and she definitely swears by it. Well, at the rate that she's been going, I can really see a big difference between the before and after. It works!

18. Gator_84_88

Gator_84_88 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,166
    Wrong! In fact, jumping as Thomas says involve increasing the fast twitch muscle fibers. As a matter of fact some squats when not done with actual jump programs will have an adverse effect on speed, quickness and vertical. Mike Boyle has some great strength training programs as he's one of THE best. There are a LOT of jump programs out there that should be called "JUNK" programs. Lunges can help activate the muscles AND fibers that are used for jumping. Such as glutes, upper hamstrings and hips. MAKE SURE to attack the abductors and adductors. Two kids i train here in Tenn were not touching the rim 8 weeks ago. As of last week they were both able to get above the rim. One can now officially dunk and they both are rising 8th graders. Neither is above 6 ft tall yet. Resistance training is the best and fastest way to not only increase the vertical but speed as well. Plyometrics are great BUT ISOMETRIC training that attacks FIBERS work extremely fast and EXTREMELY well. When we are short on time or even have plenty of time we use 3 groups of exercises. All, you have my number so if you text me i will email you a training system. By the way, how's your son doing?
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,772
    Well, of course barbell squats can impede your jumping ability ... if your legs are tired from barbell squatting!

You're making it too complicated. Average joes and kids will increase their verts by: (A) increasing lower body strength (and no, it doesn't have to be barbell squats) and by (B) practicing jumping.

Regarding Boyle, I'm fully aware that his reputation precedes him. Naturally I listen when he speaks. But I do believe his jihad against barbell squats is a little whacky.
  20. Zendra

Zendra New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Hi, I'm honestly not quite sure because I haven't tried it. But I found this, maybe it'll help you out -- http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bioplyo1.htm