Value Add basketball has UF 8th and Frazier as the 7th best player in the country

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Aug 26, 2014.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Sky's the limit for MFII...not sure about 7th best player in the country, but I can definitely see him as a mid-first round pick by the time he leaves UF. Maybe even this season, if he's made some improvements this summer on the weaker aspects of his game.
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see him from a physical measurables standpoint being able to be a mid-first rounder. Great college player though.
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    If they are using a value-adding stat, what they are saying is that Frazier adds the seventh most points of any player to their team per game (they calculate that he adds about 9.5 points per game). This stat often doesn't include anything about defense or the little things, so it isn't as much about best or NBA prospects. Clearly though, Frazier's shooting was key in many games, so he is definitely valuable to Florida.
  5. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    Yes Rade, that was my interpretation.

He does apparently include some defensive statistics in his very simplistic and limited method, like steals, but I didn't see anything about rebounds or blocks except when he noted about a few players, a game statistic (got 8 rebounds before fouling out against Kentucky).

Statistics only tell a very small part of any team sport, as I have noted innumerable times before, speaking as a professional statistician of some repute. Unfortunately, the author's statement: "Pudner’s projections are based in cold, hard numbers, not gut instinct." - tells a sad story about the nature of the world today, where numbers are extremely over valued and people are enormously undervalued.

Another absurd statement was: "...but he also knows that numbers can lie."

Obviously, numbers can't possibly lie, however, people can misinterpret what they are saying and end up making important mistakes as a result.

And yes, Frazier being rated 7 appears perhaps somewhat high. He clearly, however, is a very special player who gives a lot to the team, so maybe it isn't too high. Cauley-Stein at 12 surprised me.