Valdez Showers' position

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Apr 24, 2014.

1. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    I think it's important to note that this 8.6 yard average came on 12 carries. not a whole lot there. He missed two games because of injury and was limited in at least 3 others because of injury (probably more). If Debose is fragile, then so was Showers last year.

Again, I just don't see this runner that many see. Yes, i am well aware he was a running back in high school. But I'm not convinced that this makes him better with the ball in his hands on jet sweeps or end arounds vs. Debose or D-Rob.

and like I was saying, I hope he and all of them have a huge year. I just want success. Just like you, of course.
  2. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,264
    From your previous post that I've seen, you know enough about football to contribute solid posts, at least enough that I don't come away think wtf? :)
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    I totally agree. We're all hacks, but Strange knows his Gators.
  4. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +902
    You think maybe your opinion would have been a little more informed had you actually taken 5 minutes to read the article? That's my point. Not to call you out directly, but so many people here just spout off their opinions without having actual facts to base their opinions on. It's not exactly the hallmark of intelligent discourse
  5. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,374

Thank you for keeping me in check. I won't let it happen again. I will read every word of every article before giving my opinion. I should have known better. This is the internet, after all.
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,306
    I'm not so much saying Showers is the next Jacquez Green so much as the default guy in our current offense. My biggest concern is Debose taking that kind of contact. I can't even think about Debose without picturing a stretcher being carried onto the field. As for Showers' 12 carries, those were mostly plays designed to get him in space and if nothing else, that APC indicates that he's not prone to getting tackled behind the LOS, even on risky plays like those.

One other guy who could play this role and possibly be our designated jet-sweep runner is Chris Thompson. He made quite an impression during spring practice and has great straight-line speed. He's a bit on the light side, but seems pretty tough. He also seems to have a little more shake than Showers.

One more is Matt Jones. His best runs are when he has room to get his feet moving. Give him five or six steps without having to adjust his speed or direction and he is hard to catch and harder to bring down. Everything I've heard indicates he will not be a traditional running back next season, but will be an "A" back, probably the "A" back. IMHO, if he was an inch taller and two steps slower, he'd be the next James Jones.
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,306
    To be honest, my biggest wish for Showers is that he emerges as one of our most reliable receivers. I don't recall him dropping balls last season but do recall some nice catches. I can easily see him somewhere in our six deep, and not just as a trick play guy.
  8. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +784
    Roper's past MO has been to accomplish the offense's game-plan by committee. I really love how he not only spreads the ball around but plays a lot of skill people from the opening drive. I'm not sure we'll have offensive players at the top of the SEC stat charts at the end of the season but I'm hoping our cumulative stats put us near the top. IMO, if our OL can keep JD healthy thru the season and we can cut down on senseless penalties, we're capable of beating at least 3 of the 5 good teams on the '14 schedule. The great thing about the off season is that we're all undefeated and the dive play is in our rear view mirror.