Valdez Showers' position

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Apr 24, 2014.

1. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
  2. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,117
    I didn't read the article, so I may be way off. But I hope he's not going to be running between the tackles. I want him out in open space. Leave the dirty work to Taylor/Jones/Lane.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,301
    Showers will most likely be taking get sweep plays or some type of pitch into space after coming in motion. We have plenty of guys who can run up the middle--Showers' job is to take advantage of his speed in open space.
  4. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +787
    Ur correct, will be a jet sweep guy
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +966
    Use him like Patton. Screens, misdirection plays, etc. We have enough RB's in the backfield don't need him there as well. Use him as a weapon in space.
  6. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    I think Valdez is a nice player, but we need to keep him at receiver. He had zero carries in the Orange&Blue game and I think someone like Debose or D-Rob are better options on end arounds/jet sweep, etc. - more elusive and more powerful.
  7. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,845
    Um, one of our problems we have had is that the personnel tells the other team what is being run (or not with that player). If Valdez is lined up in the backfield he needs to run it where the hole is designed and between the tackles is a given more times than not. If he takes the slot for sweeps then he needs to be able to catch the ball downfield.
  8. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    "I didn't read the article that this thread was created to discuss, but that didn't stop me from posting anyway."
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +966
    We can use that as an advantage too. The defense over focuses on him, a fake sweep opens up the other side of a field. We actually did use that well sometimes with Patton under Pease. One of Jeff's best qualities is his option read. He did it very well, and can be dangerous with it. Fake the Jet Sweep, then use an option to the opposite side it could get some big games. Though I agree he has to be able to go out too, but there are ways to back the defense off. I'm sure he can catch the ball downfield though he is a gifted athlete. Those types of guys just get it done.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +912
    Debose is slightly faster but very easy to knock off his feet. D-Rob has decent speed, but nothing like Showers. Those two have very important roles in this offense as pass catchers. Showers' combination of speed and size makes him the best jet sweep guy at the moment. He will probably line up wide or in the slot more than in the backfield, but I think he'll still get his share of runs, and not just on jet sweeps.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    See, I think Showers goes down too easily. Just too many instances in the games and the practices that I've seen where he went down with arm tackles. I think Debose is the best for the job and maybe D-Rob because of his combination of size and moves. He actually breaks tackles.
    I just haven't seen it from Showers. I would be stoked to be proven wrong. So far the jury is out.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  12. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +912
    Don't know about going down too easy. He averaged 8.6 yards per carry last season. Even if he went down the first time he's hit, his speed and elusiveness make him an excellent choice there. I'd rather have D-Rob upfield blocking for him and Debose keeping DBs honest.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    I guess we just disagree. It happens.

Peace
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,316
    NO IT DOESN'T. This is GC a place of peace and tranquility. We are all united as one big fam.......... Ahhh never mind I can't even keep a straight face anonymously. :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +339
    Is he fast enough for a jet sweep or more like a "C-130" sweep?
  16. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,117
    I gave my opinion on Showers' role in the offense. That's what we're discussing, correct?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +787
    He is one of the fastest players on the team, guy can fly
  18. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +912
    One other important distinction is that Showers' primary position throughout his high school career was running back. He had several 300 yard games in high school from that position. As far as I know, D-Rob has never played RB.

I know that Debose was a RB/WR/Wildcat QB, but honestly, he is extremely fragile, not just physically, but emotionally. Regardless of our opinions about who goes down easier, he has had his ACL repaired and not just a torn hamstring, but a detached hamstring repaired. That's almost like losing a limb and having it reattached. That surgery alone kept him off the field for most of two years and off the track for good. My guess is that his lack of production at UF is due to the physical and emotional trauma he has experienced. This could be borderline PTSD. I don't think you put a person like that frequently into situations where he is going full speed against the grain, hoping to turn the corner where he will be met with defenders coming straight at him at full speed, aiming for the lower half of his body.

As far as us disagreeing, neither of us really knows anything. It's up to the coaches. We're just throwing out our ridiculously uninformed opinions.

My uninformed opinion is based on the belief that Andre Debose needs to be used primarily as a deep threat, or a decoy, making the most of his speed but putting him in the least danger of not just a season ending injury, but a life altering injury.

This is wishful and possibly delirious thinking, but I suspect that D-Rob will end up being the player every defense keeps their eyes on from the moment the teams breaks the huddle, or based on rumor, the previous play. Nothing will kill a jet sweep faster than three or four defenders locked in on the guy that's going to get the pitch. Looking past our combined ignorance, if he really is the man at WR, he is not the man for jet sweeps.

My remaining entirely uninformed opinion is that a successful jet sweep depends more on pure speed, change of direction and the ability to slip tackles, not break them, and the ability to hold on to the ball when you are finally taken down, even if you do fall backwards (not Debose's strength). 8.7 yards per carry might not be pretty if you actually ran for ten and got knocked backwards over a yard, but it's still effective. It also helps if you are a player who is not expected to get the ball more than six or seven times a game. That sounds like Showers but I could be wrong. Mind you, this is pure speculation from someone who knows very little about college football, even if I have been watching Gator games since the late sixties, though I have missed a lot of practices.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +912
    There are plays from the backfield that can get a running back into space, especially if we are spread out and it's a play action, sprint draw or misdirection of some kind. Best thing to do with Showers is move him around and keep the defense guessing on where he's going to line up and what he's going to do once the ball is snapped. He's got decent hands and serious speed, even by SEC standards. He had a relatively productive season playing in one of the most dysfunctional offenses in UF history. Who knows what he could do in an uptempo offense with decent blocking. Better still, a slew of playmakers who will draw more attention.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,117
    Strange, some good thoughts there. Well said.