VA Rationing

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, May 14, 2014.

1. dirigo

dirigo Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    So it's only a tax thing because I'm sure that the family of a wage earning contributor who died the day before he/she qualified for benefits might challenge your conclusion.
  2. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,309
    Wow did this thread go off topic, can any explain why vets are dying waiting for care?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. texigator

texigator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +383
    I was put on a six month wait list for my knee replacement revision at a time when, living alone in a multi-story house, I could barely walk, much less get up and down stairs. I kept getting the runaround until I contacted my Congressman, Bill Young, RIP, after being told I couldn't even get pain meds. as it turned out my old knee replacement device was out of place, cockeyed, and was literally crushing my tibia. I lost an inch of my leg while I was waiting.

The day after I contacted Bill Young's office, I had my pain meds and my surgery was moved up two and a half months.

The VA is a very mixed bag for health care. But everyone will get to enjoy a similar experience, now that we have Obamacare.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    No it's a reality thing.

That is what makes it even worse! The fact those people were not able to leave their family/friends/whoever they wished to a fund for health costs makes the redistribution that much more immoral.

Now if we had something like this...

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/22/carson-a-better-alternative-to-obamacare/

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Ben_Carson_Health_Care.htm

Those people would not have been screwed.
  5. dirigo

dirigo Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    If you believe that these are worthwhile alternatives then take the steps needed to bring it about. There is no lack of powerful critics of the ACA right here in Florida and most of them are powerful members of the political party that controls one house of Congress and if they aren't successful in gaining control of the other in November will surely have a stronger position. That's how our Founding Fathers designed it. It amazes me that a party that never misses an opportunity to remind us how deeply rooted they are in our Constitution has yet to introduce a single bill as an alternative to the ACA. For almost 5 years now we've been promised that, "it's just about ready" or "we're putting the finishing touches on it". We get some pretty decent ideas, lots and lots of votes to repeal, even more fund-raising letters (from both parties) but as far as I know not a single bill introduced by the pubs.
  6. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    There have been alternative bills introduced. None of them were heard in the Senate.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    It would help if you would join the cause to promote doctor/patient autonomy instead of supporting expansion of the bureaucratic messes we have created...
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Let's get behind the Dr. Carson idea and build on it!
  9. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,309
    I agree, healthcare savings accounts with a catastrophic bridge is the way to go and get prices in check.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    Watch out, folks.

POTUS is officially "madder than hell" - some very unlucky folks are going to receive some really hurtful emails, and a few may even get counseled. Poor guys. :rolleyes:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-05-18-10-59-27

"AIDE: OBAMA `MADDER THAN HELL' OVER VA ALLEGATIONS

"
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House chief of staff says President Barack Obama is "madder than hell" about reports of treatment delays at veterans' hospitals across the country.

Top aide Denis McDonough tells CBS' "Face the Nation" that Obama is demanding that Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki (shin-SEHK'-ee) and others in the administration "continue to fix these things until they're functioning the way that our veterans believe they should.""
  11. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +780
    The VA has been like this for decades. It's why I was against any form of government healthcare program. It's not Obama although he's the one that forced us on it. The government has never done anything right without having spent 10x more than it should have. The VA is a tiny program compared to ACA and yet it has been plagued for decades with bad care and administration. ACA is showing that now with the amount of paperwork a doctor's office has to keep up with. I can't even get a prescription refilled because my doctor's assistant doesn't have the time. I ended up going to the doctor's office and waiting to see her and begging her to refill it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,309
    A minimum of 40 vets died since November waiting for care, I'm not so sure it's been this bad before.
  13. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,309
  14. dirigo

dirigo Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    We're talking about comprehensive healthcare bills introduced after the passage of the ACA, right? Please provide the source(s) that support your statement as I confident you are mistaken.
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  15. dirigo

dirigo Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    You don't need my help but there are so many others posting on this board that share your view. With all due respect to Dr. Carson, as a developer of public policy he is clearly an outstanding surgeon.
  16. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
  17. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
  18. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
  19. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    Do those count, or are you going to play semantics with the definition of "comprehensive"?
  20. dirigo

dirigo Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    You must be a lawyer. I'm not going to do anything with the definition but I get the idea that you'd like to. This should be fun. Shoot me the definition of "comprehensive" that you think should be applied and the recognized dictionary that provides your definition. It seems reasonable that if you're going to "replace" a comprehensive healthcare plan the replacement should also be comprehensive. Please don't ask about the definition of "replace".

I didn't read the entire bill introduced in 2009 but it didn't take long to see that it wasn't even close to being comprehensive. The later bill was a little better but even the Fox article summarizing it stated:

"The legislation contains no provision to assure insurance coverage for millions of lower-income Americans who are scheduled under current law to be enrolled in Medicaid, a state-federal health care program for the poor.

Nor are there replacements for several of the requirements the current law imposes on insurance companies, including one that requires them to retain children up to the age of 26 on their parents' coverage plan and another barring lifetime limits on coverage.

Internal divisions have plagued Republicans this year as they struggle to produce alternatives to the Obama plan. Legislation backed by House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., to increase funding for high-risk pools was pulled without a vote after some conservatives objected to improving ObamaCare at a time when they want to repeal it."

I'm not familiar with any definition of comprehensive that could cover gaps that large not to mention its very funky pre-existing condition provision. Also, it doesn't look like either of the ACA-lite bills that you referenced have ever cleared the Pub dominated committee in the pub controlled House. That may even be stranger than any crazy definition that you're able to come up with.