USMNT

Discussion in 'Men's Gator Sports!' started by gtj31, Mar 25, 2015.

1. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,251
    I am still not over this. I stayed away as my anger and disappointment was the highest it has been for any sport in more than half a decade. I like the description abject failure. Pathetic. Ridiculous.

The US was scrapping by because CONCACAF is that forgiving/weak but it came to bite the USMNT hard. They were terrible this qualifying cycle. No two ways about it. 3 wins in a full Hex cycle? I never thought I would see that day again...
  2. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,765
    At least the U-17 team had a nice showing against Paraguay. Hopefully they play well against England on Saturday in the Workd Cup quarterfinal.
  3. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,765
    The U17 team fell 4-1 to England.
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +3,627
    The US has some good company when it comes to missing next year's World Cup. Italy lost its playoff to Sweden 1-0 in aggregate meaning no Azzuri in Russia. Doesn't make me feel better about the US, but as they say misery loves company.
  5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +3,627
    A Soccer World Cup NIT tournament? With some big names out of the World Cup like the US, Italy, Netherlands, Ghana, Chile, and China, among others, the US is researching the possibility of a World Cup NIT, for lack of a better term. If it's held on the other side of the globe as the actual World Cup, game times wouldn't overlap. And it would be good experience for younger players to play in "meaningful" games next summer. Interesting idea, but not sure if FIFA will go for it.

Speaking of younger player experience, the US actually looked solid against Portugal's B team. They didn't look intimidated, looked dangerous on several occasions, and earned the 1-1 draw in a game where the US had the better chances. And this was without Pulisic. Too bad the young guys won't get the chance to fight for WC roster spots, but the future of US soccer looks a lot better than the present.