USC RB Anthony Brown quits team, accuses CoachSark of being

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Aug 28, 2014.

1. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,275
    Spot on ora
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I don't want to turn this into a Too Hot thread but active institutional racism went on for decades past the 60s throughout many major institutions that impact our lives. Today it's still active in the "justice" system, banking and other areas.

I agree there are also plenty of people who pull the card at the drop of the hat with no valid reason. Which creates a "boy who cried wolf" syndrome and deadens us to cases of real racism.

The whiners / race card pullers need to cut the crap for the benefit of everyone.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Let's not sell ourselves short. ;)
  4. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +290

Yes. You are absolutely correct. Racism goes both ways. With that said, The Trevon Martin/Micheal Brown cases are two different situations then Anthony Brown's accusation of Steve Sarkisian being a racist. That is why I stated each situation is different. In the Trevon Martin and Micheal Brown cases however a person lost their life. Granted one case was proven to be "self defense" in court but still, in both of those cases they were both unarmed teenagers who lost their lives. They are both dead and gone. No more coming back after you lose your life. See the difference?

Do I think it is good to riot the streets and destroy things just to prove a point. Nope. I think the point can be made in a peacful manner. In fact, there have been peaceful marches (don't remember much media coverage for them) in both the TM and MB cases. As a matter of fact, I don't think the majority of African Americans are filled with hate. We are all different people with different viewpoints. Again, the media may lead you to believe otherwise, but don't just assume what you see on television is true everywhere.
  5. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    Alpha respectful response! I do think the media has an agenda whether it is for ratings or to feed into their worldview. I want to say some of my best friends are African Americans and that's the way it should be. As I said we have come a long way but do i think racism will be totally wiped out? No. We are all imperfect people. There has, is and will be injustices in the world and I defend the right of any people to peacefully protest or vote or make whatever changes in a proper way. I agree, I do think the Sharptons and the Jesses's and the looting does a disservice to those who peacefully want answers.
    I know both young individuals were unarmed. I know that death has finality at least for this life. I do believe we were created with a living soul and so life never ends. Having said that, it disturbs me when people rush to judgement seemingly based on the color of their skin. This would be a non story or would not have received the same kind of attention imo if it had been a black policeman or in Trevon's case had GZ been black.
    In both cases it seems the liberal media and the predominantly black community made up their mind of guilt. They wanted arrest and of course conviction pronto. They wanted to change the system. It's not how our society works. Now, I don't know what happened with Brown's case but let the facts come forward. Let our rules of order work. Now if you ask me is it always fair? I say no. But until we have a better system in place this has to suffice.
    I think you would agree with me that the term racist is way overused. In fact, so overused that when it does occur it may not get the attention it needs. I think our society wants and needs to come together. We are still a people divided when something like this happens. We need to talk to one another and not at each other. It's like our football team, unified, working for same goals. We need leaders who will forge unity not bring about division. Anyhow, i know I ramble but appreciate your thoughtful response.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  6. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    We do if we use a Trojan horse to sneak in. They'll never see it coming. :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    I agree that the word "racist" is overused and in this athletes case with coach sark probably used incorrectly. I don't doubt one but the kid was spoken to in a very condescending way And may have even used a racial slur but only those 2 know.

My best friend/ best man is black and I'm the godfather to his children, and I'm going to teach my daughter that the color of a person's skin does not define that person.

If people would approach each other with an open mind (both ways) and formulate your opinion of someone based off their character and your own personal interactions with them maybe we could actually start to show our children how it's done instead of just tell them.

It's sad to see comments like the poster who assumes because brown quit the team he's now going on welfare, which the only reason somebody would just assume a kid from a prestigious university who quits the football team would need welfare is because he's black, which is just a bad stereotype itself. That kids father may very well be a lawyer or doctor and have more money than any of us. Or he is from poverty and he actually tried to change that and get a education and play ball while he is at it. I run a business in charleston, sc, just blocks from low income housing or "the hood" if you will, and a large part of my customer base are those folks living in poverty. And guess what? Many of them are awesome, fine folk who just ain't as fortunate as others, but IMO you can't group all of them together just because they have similarities such as skin or income.

There are certainly some unsavory people of all races just as there are very kind people of all races, and ones income or social standing doesn't necessarily determine their character. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    What from my posts has lead you to believe that I don't understand the concept of personal accountability? Furthermore, do you have any empirical evidence to back up your assertions about the "majority of black folk". If you do, just for fun let's compare that to the percentages of whites on government assistance.
  9. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    I would guess that since there are more whites than blacks that probably more whites, I would also be interested what the percentage was prior to Obama being in the white house since tons of people have lost their jobs especially in the white community. That too would be fun to look up. And while we're at it how many government jobs were added and how many non govt. jobs were lost during his stint. Then again may be hard to get the correct data since no doubt his people apparently control the numbers. Course I have no smidgen of proof just like the IRS are completely impartial.

Getting back to point, I'm glad you and I agree the need for personal responsibility to the point we aren't looking for others to blame. Sorry we have a prez who seldom takes responsibility for anything and relishes the blame game. Leaders like this we can do without. My disgust isn't with the color of his skin but with his policies and attitude.

No evidence of majority, it just seems that way and it may be from the perception from the media.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Rev, you gotta do a little digging here, brother. Blacks receive 14% of government benefits, but they only make up ten percent of the overall population. Whites, on the other hand, make up nearly 80% of the overall population, yet they receive less than 70% of the hand outs benefits distributed.

Now do the math on that.

Not that I have any idea of what really happened with Brown and Sark's conversation, and it's quite possible Sark said something he shouldn't have, but your final sentence was uninformed.
  11. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425

What you just listed here, kids raising kids is a real issue for sure, but not one exclusive to only blacks which you vaguely mentioned. It's more a of a character flaw and bad parenting than anything, but those traits are not dictated by the correct of one's skin. Take a ride through a trashy trailer park filled with married cousins:) and white families that look like they supply the tooth fairy every week, and tell me the difference between the 2 different sets (blacks and whites) of low income families living in poverty other than their skin color. There are the same type of people that exist in both races.
  12. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    I don't deny that there's a disproportionate amount of African-Americans on government assistance. I wanted to look at the statistics to illustrate that there are also a lot of whites on government assistance as well, and that as a whole it's not just a black problem.

I also find it ironic that blacks who find themselves in less than ideal situations need to be personally accountable, but the (potential) influx of whites on government assistance can be blamed on Obama's policies. Seems to me that they could use some personal accountability as well.

I edited this post because the comment about 40% of whites and blacks being on welfare is inaccurate. Truthfully, together they make up around 80% of the total amount of welfare recipients.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    A great deal of white folk on govt assistance is due to down sizing, loss of jobs, a failing economy and by the way no fault of their own. It's not a responsibility issue as it is a stinking economy. Jobs are not being created with the highest tax rate and with obama care ramping up companies are hiring part timers not full time people. So, a huge difference of the influx of govt. assistance. You will find that govt assistance even for white people has sky rocketed under this administration.
    Check out the percentage of drop out rates and you will find a disproportionate amount among the African-Americans. Check out the percentage of single parent family among the African-American community which is about 70% and you will see far too many kids growing up without dads.
    When there is looting, when there is crime, when there is incarceration it's no secret who is being less responsible. There are many well educated African-Americans who have made it, who are employed, who are excellent citizens, and who chose to be responsible for their future rather than blaming society for everything.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mutz87

mutz87 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,504
    Well said. Perhaps we can also note that there are a disproportionate number of folks receiving welfare assistance in the south relative to other regions. Does it mean southern folk are a bunch of sloths?
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. jmoliver

jmoliver Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    Michael Brown was not going to attend college anytime soon if ever. He was thinking about going to a Vaterott College which is a glorified (scam) trade school to be an A/C tech. Actually a very good trade.
  16. mutz87

mutz87 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,504
    Institutional racism still exists in college football too. That said, I don't know what's in Sark's heart of hearts so to speak, but a disgruntled player alleging it without any substantive example is pretty vicious and rings untrue.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    True.