USA Today breaks down South Carolina

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Sep 2, 2013.

1. mulegator

mulegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    • After winning 11 games in each of the last two years, South Carolina aims at the national title

• The Gamecocks have the nation's best player in defensive end Jadeveon Clowney

• The offense is led by quarterback Connor Shaw, who is 17-3 as the starter

...I don't think the Gamecocks can win the national title. Nor do I think that USC is necessarily a lock to replicate last year's 11-win total. But I look at this team and see one extremely capable of going 10-2 during the regular season, perhaps losing only to LSU and one SEC East rival, and once again missing out on an SEC title game berth due to Georgia's smooth conference schedule. Would that be treading water, to a degree? Not in the least – not even the smallest amount. Back-to-back double-digit win seasons? This is what USC was looking for when Spurrier walked through the door in 2005. This is another very good team, potentially a great team, but not one that's going to play for the title. And there's nothing wrong with that...
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...3-preview-college-football-countdown/2710497/