US Entrepreneurialism Reaching New Lows

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by madgator, May 7, 2014.

1. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +664
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Considering that most conservatives argue that one of the main issues in business creation is that taxes are too high, this would seem to not really advance that argument. I'd be very surprised if you saw a relationship between regulations and the rates in that data either (ie. both Alaska and Wyoming had major declines in new businesses, while New York and Illinois, with higher amounts of regulation, saw no such evidence). Maybe the issue isn't too much government.
  3. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +568
    I'd say this has more to do with the general mind-numbing of the population. It's hard to find original thought these days. You're inundated with prepackaged nothingness from all sides. And that goes for government too. But policy doesn't materialize. It's put in place by people with power to put it there. I'd say our power-brokers are possibly at an all time low level of competence right now, and for the last decade+, which I realize is a bold statement.
  4. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    Best case scenario is your small business gets bought out by a bigger one. Been that way since the dot com bubble burst I say.

The ideal of carving out a niche for yourself is dead outside of a service industry. Service industry is flawed in that there can always be someone willing to do it cheaper. The young will eventually do it better. Not a recipe for building something to pass on. At least not for the small business trying to build something.

Better to hop from corporate ladder to corporate ladder earning more pay for less work.

Seriously, jumping the ladder to build for oneself is a too much effort for too little gain scenario. Even joining up on a promising startup is a losing scenario, work extremely hard to create success (certainly not a guarantee) either succeed or fail. Success means maybe a good buyout(not likely since the only reward for being bought out goes to the proprietor, who just cashed out of said business.) Failure means being behind on the ladder climb.

Failure % was what 85% within a year "in the golden ages" of the 80s and 90s. Those 15% at least went on to success. If that 15%'s now ideal is to be bought out, what's the point?
    Easier/safer to do less, climb the ladders, collect the bonuses instead.

Pluralistic economics says the biggest join together and survive whilst the small are sublimated and consumed.

(Not sure my points are coming out clearly typing on my phone. I say that this is not a government directly caused situation, rather a changing dynamic in the global economy. Good news is it could change, however my magic 8 ball says work only as hard as is needed to raise the bottom line, plan for the future, and wish the American dream wasn't being crushed by our corporate overlords.

All of this pains me to say. Me 10 years ago would vehemently disagree and be enraged by this sort of sentiment. )
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,894
    and he started the decline of new businesses in 1978, that sneaky bastard!

Actually, it looks like only administration which has seen an increase in new businesses is Obama's. Decrease under Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush and has risen under Obama.
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    Darn those pesky facts!
  8. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,894
    But it certainly seems like we need some serious analysis as to why. Can it be reversed, should it be reversed, what's causing it, etc.
  9. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +664
    We all know that the left likes to blame republicans for the decline of middle america....but as Potzer has already pointed out, the real culprit is globalization.

although I still believe that government regulation has increased the cost burden for potential startups in many industries. thus eliminating competition for the corporate overlords.

the net neutrality issues we are seeing argued out now is the attempt to bring that same elimination tactics to the internet.
  10. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,361
    IT'S OBAMA'S FAULT!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    And the right blames the left for it. Both sides have culpability.

This country will not have its former greatness restored until we reward American work first. To do this, we will have to choose American labor first and deal with the good and bad that comes with it. People will make more money, but will have to pay $30 for an American-built toaster.
  12. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +664
    he may not be the cause......but it's a fact that he's not working to reverse the trend
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. gator421

gator421 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +209
    Facts please.
  14. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +664

recent statements by the FCC on changing position on net neutrality
  15. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,361
    the report shows that it isn't Business Tax Rates, so you would like some other form of Government intervention?
  16. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    If you're buried in student loan debt (or just even have reasonable & manageable debt), you're better off trying to find work than starting a business.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +634
    As was the case in my career, when a judge bans a business because a building was too big ... and the ban is for a whole state - Houston, we have a problem.
  18. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,179
    None of those presidents followed the severity of recession that Obama did. There were quite a few businesses that went under in 2008 and 2009. It's only natural that a few of them would come back a couple years later, as the economy started recovering. I don't think Obama has much to hang his hat on here. His policies have not been pro-business, except for Wall Street banks, GM, and green energy companies on the brink of bankruptcy. Obama has destroyed far more jobs than he has created, if he ever was responsible for creating any jobs (outside of the IRS and the insurance exchanges).
  19. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,333
    Personally, two things seem to drive this and not necessarily about globalization but I agree that it halts some people's plans. The first is that we are over-regulated. You can be small or you can be large but unless you are grandfathered into a business you can't grow. The other is that the needs for services/goods has already been handled by others so people don't see the need for a new mousetrap. If there is a real entrepreneurial need/desire it will likely be local food. I can see where people will spend more money for food grown closer to where they live and can have a relationship with the farmer.
  20. busigator96

busigator96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +820
    It Bush's FAULT!!! :p