Urban, Muschamp, and our offense

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GeomatGator, Sep 18, 2013.

1. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,652
    Hi Urban :wave:
  2. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    while I think this analysis is skewed to the negative....I'm begining to think some of the posters on this board are employed to shoot down anything negative written about the coaching staff

maybe subsidizing GC revenue shortfall via the athletic department....I mean how do you guys have so much time to shoot down any criticisim the second it's posted? Even if retired do you play golf? fish? have grandkids?
  3. g8tr96

g8tr96 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +849

lol....

And we as staff here think some people register just to bitch and complain until they feel like they are noticed. We equate it to the same thing as the kid sitting on the floor crying until it's mommy picks it up. And get this.....there are actually people who post on here with 3000+ posts that are perfect examples of said crying kid. You're not one of them are?
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    in muschamp's offense, based on running the ball and eating clock, the offense is not a priority---just get yards when needed to get a first down.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    The wide receiver numbers are pretty abysmal. That being said our quarterback play the last three years has been more than abysmal.

The one point I disagree strongly on is that you said Miami dominated our offensive line. That is just not true.
  6. sec1

sec1 VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    unfortunately boys we are in for a rude awakening when the dust settles on this season, the truth with be clear about where we are at as a program....
  7. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    Stupid thread all around.
  8. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Yep. Thanks for bumping it. :)
  9. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +815
    You just can't assign blame like this in the early years of a coaching transition.

Urban's players contribute not b/c he recruited better, but b/c the junior and senior classes are his..

To try and compare relative contribution b/w 5th and 4th year players and 1st and 2nd year players is highly misleading.

Add to this the fact that a new staff's first class is essentially whatever the old staff had left in the recruiting cupboard.

Given that Urban was AWOL his final year that class was weaker than normal.

So only the last two classes are really 'Champ's, and to reach a conclusion that he hasn't recruited well when you are basing it solely on the 18 and 19 yos on the team isn't rational.

Muschamp's last 2 classes have been damn good, and this latest class is stocked with WRs and TBs that will be scoring many TDs for the Gators if you could wait a little longer than TWO WEEKS into their college career.
  10. prisch1

prisch1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I think it's an interesting thread. But presented in a negative light.

I think you also have to give some credit to WM's staff for development of some of the Urban signees--I suspect many of us thought Mack, Dunbar, and Patton would never really contribute, but they are key offensie players now.

But it does concern me that now 2 plus years in none of WM's offensive skill players have really come in and become key players. Jones obviously may end the year being such a guy and so might Robinson. But Pittman for example--think he was an early signee, looked good spring 2012 and then pretty much nothing, now suspended and down the depth chart.

But consider this--on defense we get key contributions from Fowler, Bullard, Morrison, Roberson, VHIII, etc. There are alot more WM signees contributing on D than on O.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    Surely, last season wasn't an indication. We definitely should lay everything on a third year, when we are replacing 13 starters and our defensive coordinator. Right.

Hey, how did Spurrier's third year compare to his second? Or Meyer's?
  12. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    44 rushes, 122 yards, 2.8 yard average, couldn't make a 4th down needing only half a yard

that sounds like domination
  13. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +815
    That's a valid observation, and I am sure the coaches would tell you they they wished they hadn't missed on Agholor or Diggs at WR, or that Mike Blakeley hadn't flaked out at TB...

Its not unfair to say the coaches did not recruit well at WR until this year.
  14. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,565
    Ya think?
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    Part of it is that some of those guys were exceptional, including Fowler and Hargreaves. Roberson struggled, but was at a position of huge need. Bullard and Morrison were limited at first, then got more time as the season went on.

Right now, Fulwood and Robinson are in the receiver mix and they are getting their numbers called. That's something else Pease addressed in the presser. At times they are struggling with adjustments to coverage, at other times they aren't getting open, and at others times we are but Driskel checked down or the defense made a play. I will agree, though, that their improvement over the course of the year and involvement in the offense will go a long way toward determining not only the outcome of this season, but possibly the prospects for next.
  16. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +210
    Sorry, but this thread is an epic fail....
    1.) You compare Juniors and Seniors to Sophomores and Freshman...well duh...they will have contributed more, check in two years and see where Muschamp's signees are.
    2.) Please go back and check on the 2005,2006 and 2007 recruiting years on the offensive side of the ball. It was not very good, other than a guy named Percy Harvin another named Tim Tebow and another named Cam Newton. There were a few more good ones like Demps and Rainey, Louis Murphy and David Nelson, Brandon James....but other than that....Yechhh!!
    Where are these Gator Greats he recruited like:
    RB Kestahn Moore (or less)
    WR Eric Sledge
    WR Nyan Boateng
    WR Justin Williams
    WR Jarred Fayson
    QB Josh Portis
    WR Deonte Thompson
    TE Brian Ellis
    RB Mon Williams
    RB Chevon Walker
    RB Bo Williams
    QB John Brantley
    QB Bryan Waggener

I think if you look closely, Urban did a better job recruiting on the defensive side of the ball than offense overall.....
  17. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    Another half empty glass person. Meyer screwed up recruiting when he played the I quit then came back. Urban won with Zook's palyers and now WM is winning with Urbans players. I ope this is not the beginning of "get rid of WM". This university is first class. our programs are first class and naysayers need to stay home and away form real Gator fans.
  18. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    No offense OP but you are using some pretty poor logic in this thread.
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Nah.
  20. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    We will see who's awake when the season ends. If the Gators stay healthy, I think I will be pretty happy.

I guess this thread is what internet sports forums are about these days, but damn it is sad to see the constant drum beat of negativity about the team, coaches, and administration we supposedly support.

I am a suspicious old cynic, and I learned a lot of it from reading/watching the media. So, I have to ask, " GC staff, do you plant ridiculous threads like this to stir the pot?". Hey, I am just kidding--aren't I?