Urban, Muschamp, and our offense

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GeomatGator, Sep 18, 2013.

1. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    I said after the 2012 class was signed that it was a failure and Muschamp was in for a rough ride. Sure it was a top 5 class, but we signed far too few guys on the offensive side of the ball. We hear all the time that there are too many of Urban's "spread guys" in our new pro system. So after 3 recruiting classes, I decided to analyze just how much success Muschamp's guys have had compared to Urban's boys.

QB:
    URBAN: Driskel committed to Urban, and stuck through the coaching change. He won the job over the guy Muschamp and Weis brought in.

Muschamp: Signed Brissett and 2 other guys that will never be SEC caliber. Brissett is now at NCState.

RB
    URBAN: Mack Brown is our leading rusher, and apparently our most steady back. Valdez Showers, a former safety, is also a significant piece in our offense.

Muschamp: Matt Jones was the only recruit in his first 2 classes that's still on roster. Apparently he is the "starter", but struggled in his only start. Taylor is sitting behind 3 RB's, one of whom is a former safety. Lane is redshirting.

WR:
    URBAN: Tre Burton, Solomon Patton, and Quinton Dunbar are pretty much the only WRs that even see passes thrown their way. They're not world beaters, but they're our the only ones at this position producing.

Muschamp: The WRs Muschamp signed in the last 3 recruiting classes have combined for 1 catch for 5 yards this year. (Last year, 4 catches for 11 yards) Raphael Andrades and Latroy Pittman are the only 2 signees from his first 2 classes still on roster.

TE:
    URBAN: Currently none on roster.

MUSCHAMP: signed 4 over 3 recruiting classes, the best of which is Clay Burton. 2 of those 4 are converted defensive ends (Burton and Westbrook, who are 1 and 2 on our depth chart) This group combined for 5 catches, 18 yards this year and last.

OL:
    URBAN: His signees make up half our depth chart.

MUSCHAMP: Signed 3 OLs in his first 2 classes that are still on roster. As a result added 2 transfers. Our offensive line was dominated by Miami.

My point in all of this is, that Urban did not leave the cupboard bare for Will. Will should send Urban a thank you card for leaving him a set of offensive players that makes up the vast majority of what little productivity we have 3 years later. If Muschamp is building an offense, then where are the pieces he's supposed to be bringing in? Where are HIS playmakers at receiver? or tight end? Even his running back signees have yet to make an impact.

I said after the 2012 class was signed that Muschamp did not care about our offense when it came to recruiting. Recruiting defensive players is his first and only priority, and offensive players are merely an afterthought (notice the trend of undersigning on offense). That's why so many players are moving from defense to offense. Ajagbe, Clay Burton, Westbrook, and Quinteze Williams to name a few. Clearly his philosophy is "make sure the defense is stacked, and then send the offense the leftovers".

It's not that our offense is too vanilla or that our playcalling is bad. It's negligent recruiting on Will's part that has led to a lack of numbers and being forced to play guys out of position. Our offense is never going to improve under Muschamp. This is what it's gonna be. And the scary thing is, it might even be worse once Urban's guys are gone and the Muschamp offensive signees (or lack thereof) are thrust into starting roles.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +325
    Demarcus Robinson, Ahmad Fulwood, Alvin Bailey, Kelvin Taylor, and soon-to-be Dalvin Cook and Will Grier make our offense pretty good. Also, DJ Humphries was a top-10 recruit, I believe. We have great depth at OL. Our older receivers are looking better.
  3. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Those guys have touched the ball 5 times combined. Humphries is good, but he's also one of only 3 OLs Will signed over 2 years, which is the main problem - lack of numbers because of our recruiting under Muschamp.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    I agree with you about the 2012 class. Missing out on Diggs and Algohor set the offense back by a couple of years. But in what world does that mean we can't have good offensive classes under Muschamp, when in fact he has signed or received commitments from elite skill players in Kelvin Taylor, Demarcus Robinson, Ahmad Fulwood, Will Grier, Davin Cook, and Ermon Lane in consecutive classes? And on what basis can you claim that Muschamp doesn't care about recruiting offense? What proof could you possibly have for that other than the volume of players signed (which of course you provide no numbers to support)?

This post really is one of best examples of a non-sequitur I could ever hope to show my kids. Thanks.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    First of all, we signed two OL his first class (Jordan, Thurman), two his second (Humphries, Dunker), and three his third (Brown, Jackson, Johson, though you could add Young, who will almost certainly end up at tackle), so I don't know where you get three in two classes. Second, how can you not count the two transfers in those numbers? We needed kids who were ready to play immediately given our depth problems and no incoming freshmen could have provided that. Both those kids are starting. Third, we already have four committed for next class to fill out the depth chart and we are recruiting more.
  6. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Dunker's gone, and my point was that when you go a year signing thin on the OL, you HAVE to make up for it the next year, otherwise you will end up with underclassmen all over the depth chart on the line, which you don't want. There was no excuse for getting only 2 in that 2012 class. The transfers were nice, but geez we can't rely on 2 transfers falling in our lap every time we're low on bodies.

And look at how balanced our defensive classes are compared to our offensive classes. It's clear to see which side of the ball is addressed year in year out and which side of the ball we wait until we're in desperate need.
  7. egator1245

egator1245 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    Pretty harsh analysis by OP, which I don't agree with.
  8. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    You are getting killed in this thread but nice try. Those two transfers didnt fall in our lap the staff went out and recruited them just like they do with JUCO and high school prospects. UF beat out UGA for Garcia and FSU and USF for Moore.
  9. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +762
    WM is not the only recruiter. Remember, we had Cheeseburger and he did nothing. We are suffering now as a result.
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    lol
  11. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    Wait, wait. Are you telling me that Muschamp didn't recruit lights out in 2011 (when he was brand new) or in 2012 (after two miserable UF seasons) and the fantastic freshman aren't world beaters after their first two games ever??

He clearly doesn't know what he's doing....
  12. fwhite42

fwhite42 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    This just in: upperclassmen play more and are generally higher impact than younger guys.

Dog bites man.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,863
    Taylor has been here two games.
    He was the #2 rusher in one of them.

He's part of the point your trying to make? Sorry...you lost me.

I think Taylor is a star at UF before its said and done.

As for QB...are we not counting next year to WMs credit?

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  14. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +880
    Agree.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    You can't exclude both those who transfer out and those who transfer in. We filled our needs at OL--period. Now we are adding significant depth with a big line class this year.

Again, I can agree with you on receivers--AZ and I have been discussing this exact point on the boards for well over a year now. The staff knows it missed, the results are evident on the field, and ultimately the blame only goes as far as them. But the 2013 and 2014 classes are more than making up for it and reflect not only that they are indeed interested in signing high-caliber offensive talent (again, it boggles the mind to think someone would argue that any staff isn't concerned with that), but that they could do so on par with any program in the nation. There are few consecutive classes in the country with the quality of skill position players we have signed or received commitments from in 13-14.
  16. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,001
    Give Pease a chance, brudda. WM came from the DEFENSIVE trenches, so makes sense he would recruit better there.

Pease was only in his first year -- takes a couple to get recruits to see what you are building, trust it enough to buy into it.
  17. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,023
    Analysis is a little harsh. We know 2011 and 2012 weren't the best recruiting years on the offensive side of the ball. Luckily the defense is going to be very solid for a while, so the offense has time to catch up, which it looks like is happening slowly but surely.

Give it some time.
  18. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    Can we start voting people off this board?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    That's what REP is for...oh wait...
  20. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    [​IMG]

The thought that Muschamp doesn't "care" about the offense is laughable. F-ck sake, some of you are ridiculous.