Urban Meyer again calls his 2008 Florida team 'the best team to ever play the game'

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by DieAGator, Jun 14, 2014.

1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,116

I was there in the swamp in the north endzone and watched us line up for tjat 4th down play and saw how ole miss stacked the tackle positions on thw edges and i knew THEY knew we were going to run tebow.

I kept looking for us to line harvin up wide in the backfield or at slot and spread them out and i started to cringe about that play.

Get that ball to harvin and hed have at least made 3 yards.
  2. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Since 1936, UF 08 is the only team to get back to back wins to close a season against #1 game time ranked teams.

No team has more than one win over a #1 game time ranked team in any single football season. There have been a few teams to close a season with a win over a #1 game time ranked team and start the next season with a win over a #1 game time ranked team.

UF 08 stands alone in getting two wins in the same season and, in this case, back to back wins over #1 game time ranked teams to close a season with winning a national championship. Urban Meyer has a good point.
  3. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,437
    I believe it. Almost completely throttled the highest scoring team in college football history. Would have destroyed the vaunted 1994 Huskers too.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    You DO realize that highest scoring offense in history was without a player that contributed 18 TDs to that offense...right? It's not like they were at full strength...

And a ten-point win against the 68th ranked defense is not a "throttling." 41-14 against Ohio State IS a throttling.
  5. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Yeah, you can give them DeMarco Murray back in that game, as long as we get a healthy Percy (if that's even possible) and Cornelius Ingram in return. As dynamic as the 2008 offense was that year, people forget that they were talking about the prospect of featuring an attack that really utilized both CI and Herndandez using two-TE sets before Ingram blew his knee out prior to the start of the season. It's scary to think about how that offense would have looked with the two of them on the field at the same time.

So, I guess you could say that it's not like we were at full strength...follow me?
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,437
    To add to the hobbled Percy Harvin point above, 14 points to a team that averaged 60 is throttling. Again, with a very conservative gameplan we handled the highest scoring team in college football history and won in fine style.
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    Not an equal exchange, as Percy had one of his best games ever against Oklahoma. As for JCorn (whom I love, BTW), meh..

True, but that is speculative at best.

Not even close. We were far healthier than Oklahoma...
  8. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    Total Defenses Oklahoma played against:

School--------------------Total Defense

Florida........................................9th
    Cincinnati..................................31st (Big Least)
    Texas..........................................51st (best in the Big XII)
    Nebraska....................................55th
    Texas Tech.................................79th
    Baylor........................................85th
    Kansas.......................................89th
    Oklahoma State.........................93d
    Mizzou.......................................98th (Big XII championship game)
    Kansas State............................110th (Snyder obviously wasn't there)
    Washington.............................110th
    Texas A&M..............................114th

Oklahoma, without THEIR Percy Harvin (Demarco Murray), scored only 14 points against Florida, by far their lowest output of the year.

Florida, OTOH, scored 24 points against Oklahoma, a team witht the 68th ranked defense in the nation. Among Florida's BCS conference opponents, only Arkansas had a worse defense. Yet Florida scored fewer points than against any opponents, SEC or otherwise...

Talk to me about statistics again?
  9. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    ...so it's pure speculation that a returning second-team, All-SEC tight end would've made a deadly offense that much more effective? Really? Interesting.

This guy says whatever he wants to.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    Whatever. Your homerism precludes you from ever seeing things honestly. Ingram wasn't a big star at Florida, and his loss wasn't considered critical...nowhere near as critical as Murray's loss. Like most Gator fans, you know all about OUR losses while being indifferent to the losses of the opposition...
  11. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    I think Wormwood's point is that 2008 Oklahoma was really better than 2008 Florida and, if Murray had played in that game, we would have likely seen what the Sooner attack could really do. I'm not sure why he's so adamant about arguing this, and I'm not certain that he really knows why he is, but two things are certain: it's highly speculative to speculate that Cornelius Ingram would've helped that team; the other (I think) is that we won that game because D'Marko Murray didn't play.

Which reinforces his belief that '06 UF was more better than a team Meyer called his best. But he knows more about this topic than Meyer does, even though Meyer's opinion could probably be trusted. And if you don't believe him, he's got another chart ready to prove that...Meyer's wrong. I think.
  12. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Exactly. So what you're saying is that you're right and Corch Meyer is wrong. I got it.
  13. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,031
    I'm not even sure Worm knows who you are talking about.

JCorn and Cornelius Ingram are two different people.

JCorn = Jemalle Cornelius a WR who went undrafted and never played in the NFL.

Cornelius Ingram = QB, TE, and basketball player who was drafted despite missing the entire season from injury.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,437
    Is your hatred for Urban Meyer so intense that you cannot acknowledge his assessment of this giant of a team ? They were a marvel. Never mind the oh-so-conservative gameplan vs OU, they laid waste to the SEC.
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,437
    2006 was SHAKY. Much of the season was agonizing. Fortunately the team somehow found its stride the second half of the SECCG. And then went on to exploit some key personnel mismatches vs. OSU in the way that Nebraska did to the 1995 Gators.
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Worm, I'm not so sure UF was far healthier than OU. On defense, UF played with the 1s and 3s on the DT depth chart because the 2s were injured and did not play. All the UF D did was to stand tall and have two successful goal line stands.

If you look at the stats of UF 08, UNL, 95, and UM 01, UF 08 compares well with the two teams most consider the best of all time. Put up the stats without the records and it wouldn't be so easy to see a discernible difference except that UNL 95 stands out over the other two in scoring and scoring margin.
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    Typo, Sean. It was late.
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    I didn't say that the 2008 Sooners were BETTER than Florida with Murray. What I said was that they might have given us an even closer game, with the chance to beat us.

I don't know 1/100,000,000th as much as Meyer does, but I can disagree. simply making an argument, and yes, I use stats and data to support that. It is a little more credible than "because I said so."
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    I have no hatred towards Coach Meyer whatsoever. Why would you think that? The next time I type something childish like "Urban Liar," will be the first time. When he comes to Florida to see his name inducted into the Ring of Honor, I will applaud him.

I simply don't think it was his best team at Florida, never mind the teams we could compare to it, such as the 1984, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996 and 2001 teams. Even this past decade, there have been some great teams out there that ran the table. That loss at HOME to Ole Miss detracts from the greatness of a team.

Sorry, Coach Meyer, but I respectfully disagree.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    Ahhh, ET, finally a poster that address the topic without attacking the messenger...

Well, if you put aside the fact that Nebraska and Miami were undefeated, then I suppose the 2008 team could compare. But the greatest of all time? Nah, that is Meyer exaggerating, which he often does.