1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Urban Meyer again calls his 2008 Florida team 'the best team to ever play the game'

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by DieAGator, Jun 14, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,988
    I agree with that. Definitely top ten. I'd say probably top five.

But tough to put them definitively ahead of some of the best teams ever. Our 95 Gator team was dominant in it's own right... and got curb stomped by the Huskers.

2011 LSU could have gone down as greatest ever if they had gotten Okie State in the championship (they'd have gone undefeated thru a tough SEC while beating the Big East, Pac 12 and Big 12 champs). So where does that put the Bama team that man handled them?

2001 Canes were definitely up there - probably the most talented team ever. Although 2005 USC would give them a run for the money on that count. 1971 Huskers and 1972 Trojans were both dominant teams from "back in the day".

No doubt there are others I'm not thinking of, but claiming a definitive number one is not something you can logically do.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    Yeah, when you lose at home to Ole Miss you sort of lose the ability to be mentioned in that "best team ever" conversation by people outside of Gainesville, even if the Rebels turned out to be a solid team.

But it was Meyer's team, and a healthy degree of homerism is allowed and expected from the head coach of great teams. And there was enough talent on that team that Meyer's statement can be covered by that allowance.
  3. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    If they beat Ole Miss they are definitely mentioned among the greatest of all time, probably somewhere in the top 3.

It is hard to judge nationally because of the wide variety of schedules we all play, but I think at least within the SEC, the '08 team is the best of all time.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,715
    And there's a reason why undefeated teams get passed over for title games. Your comment is humorous!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. cavemen77

cavemen77 Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    That's like saying that the 1995-1996 Bulls weren't one of the best NBA teams of all time. I mean they DID lose 10 games in the regular season, including losing to the lowly Toronto Raptors. But seriously, they were on of the greatest. This Gator team, regardless of the outcome/score of the Ole Miss game, was one of the greatest teams to step on the field in College History. I'd put them up against any team in college history.
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,712
    Not me. The 1995 Huskers get that nod...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CRIMDEFgator

CRIMDEFgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +122
    It's a coulda woulda shoulda The 08' Gators might have been the best NFL squad we put on the field but the 94' Gators were the best cfb team. I was there for the "Choak at Doke'. No one could run or pass on that d/l. SOS and his awful D coordinator cost s that game and Sugar Bowl. That led to Stoops coming in and winning with less talent ridiculous
  8. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,893
    '95 Huskers by far imo.
  9. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,764
    94? They lost 2 games and tied another. They weren't even close to the best UF team in the 90s much less best of CFB all time??
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,712
    Bobby Pruett didn't lose his job over the Choke At Doak. Spurrier would have been an amazing hypocrite if he fired Pruett and didn't also fire his inept OC that game. Pruett was fired after the 1995 season.

And the Florida defense was probably even MORE talented from 1996-8 than before. Looking at the draft:

Season-----------# Defensive Players Drafted

I think Stoops was probably also the worst recruiter among the defensive coordinators, even though I am not sure if the defensive players under Pruett were recruited by him or by Zook. Jon Hoke recruited quite a few studs.
  11. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,715
    The 95 huskers would be the only team I'd think about putting ahead of 08; man that'd be an awesome game to watch. Tebow, Harvin, and Frazier all on the same field...... dreams!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. ufever

ufever New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    His lips are moving.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    While I agree with '95 Nebraska getting the nod, I would say that the '08 team played a tougher schedule and put up rather impressive numbers too. Heading into postseason play, Nebraska had an average margin of victory of 38 points. UF was at 37 (including Ole Miss, the average point differential was 34).

Plus, that UF team had to play 2 additional games and given the way the SEC championship worked out, essentially played in 2 national championship quality games back to back. But the Ole Miss loss definitely hurts the all time ranking, can't look past it even if they were a pretty good team.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    halfassu ws undefeated last year and they played who? Degree of difficulty means everyting in deciding the greatness of any team. When we dismantled tosu (#1 undefeated) in '06 it was a thing of beauy. We did the same with Oklahoma in '08 although it was a little closer. That said, when Meyer left the way he did , he'll forever be a liar in my book.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +502
    Sorry Urban. The 1995 Nebraska team would still roll over that Florida team.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    1996 florida would smoke 1995 florida. People forget how flawed the defense was on that 95 team. we lost kevin carter and ellis johnson off of the 94 team and our linebackers were just solid. 1996 had an infusion of kearse beauchamp and rutledge as well as mike peterson and bob stoops. 95 nebraska was obviously great but their lore grew because of our poor lateral movement on our defensive front and spurriers refusal to go shotgun. it can't happen but i would love to see the 96 team against nebraska.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,712
    Agree. The 1995 Gators were somewhat overrated because (a) their regular season schedule was weak; (b) their SEC West opponent was our weakest one played, and (c) the offensive explosion Florida had in the second half against Tennessee sort of overshadowed the rest of the year.

The 1996 Gators was our best team ever, because the offense peaked againist tougher competition, the defense was bolstered by more experienced talent, and they were better tested. Indeed, I'd rate the three teams as 1996, 2006, and 2008. Margin of victory doesn't mean as much to me as finding a way to win every week. It made the MNC game against Ohio State almost a relief. Just IMO.

Then again, I'd put the 1984 Gators against any of 'em, at least after Galen took it over and the team could focus on football...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    For the aformentioned reasons. ...I don't place 95 Nebraska in some far off echelon like most. Clearly they were one of the greatest ever but I think their legend is overstated do to the title game. We outscored several teams in 95 because our offense was so good. We had to outgun auburn Tennessee and fsu just off the top of my head that year. Our defense struggled in 95 but benefited all year from timely turnovers.

Again. .I would even go as far to say our 94 team may have put up a better showing against Nebraska although our offense wasn't quite as Efficient and we still had Pruett calling the defense. 95 Florida was a very unbalanced team and many seem to forget that
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    The 1995 Nebraska team was the best is ever seen.
  20. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +419
    2008 would roll all over the 2006 team.
    • Agree Agree x 3