Upgrading vista to W7 - Have some questions

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by halsgator, Nov 9, 2013.

1. halsgator

halsgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    I have a XP but no support after April 14. My daughter passed on to me a cpu with vista since she has a nice laptop and has seldom used the Vista. She is a teacher.

1 - I think I should buy disc for the upgrade rather than buy a download. Is this the way to go. I notice downloads are less expensive than disc. Any thoughts?

2 - Since I want to transfer certain files to my W7 from my XP. Should I transfer these files to the Vista and then to my W7? Should I use Windows Easy Transfer for
    the transfers.

3 - I assume Yahoo and gmail contacts need not to be transferred and available when you go to their sites?

4 - Please share any problems I may have accomplishing these upgrades and transfers.

Thanks in advance.:huh:
  2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +54
    While moving to Windows 7 is probably a pretty good idea just to have a more modern system but just because XP gets ignored by Microsoft on April 14 doesn’t mean you need to dump it. It is still working and will continue to work just fine, especially if your usage is just browsing and email. The point is that there is no great urgency to make the switch.

The download of Windows 7 should be just as easy and secure as the disc. You will also get it faster. A key point for the upgrade is to make sure you have sufficient space for it. Disk space and Random Access Memory (RAM) are both very crucial for successfully making the move. You will need at least 20 GB of free space on your system disk and 1 GB of RAM but 2 GB or more is highly advisable. If your ‘new’ Vista system has less than 1 GB of RAM I suggest saving yourself pain and not moving forward unless you can add RAM. Adding RAM is fairly easy but does require some mechanical effort.

First, determine how much RAM there is on your Vista system drive do the following steps:
    - Click on the Start menu
    - Move the cursor to Computer and right click it to open a menu of options.
    - Click Properties
    - The amount of RAM should be shown toward the bottom of the window. It may be 1.96 GB or something like that. If it is less then you have less than 2 GB and, as I mumbled above, I suggest not proceeding without adding memory.

Next, determine how much free space there is on your Vista system drive do the following steps:
    - Click on the Start menu
    - Move the cursor to Computer and click it to open a Windows explorer window showing the disk drives on the system
    - In most systems you will see a C drive and that should be the only hard drive along with a removable optical disc drive. If you see more or other things then you might want to report back here indicating what you see before moving forward.
    - Place the cursor on the C drive icon and right click to the menu and then click on properties.
    - The window should display used and free space. You want the Free space to be larger than 20 GB. If it isn’t then you may have issues and I don’t suggest proceeding.

In looking for resources about the upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista I discovered this article (http://www.ehow.com/how_5545241_download-upgrade-windows.html) which describes how you could get a free upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista if you purchased a computer afflicted with Vista between June 26, 2009 and January 31, 2010. The process described there describes how you can use the upgrade advisor to determine your new computer qualifies.

This article (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7#T1=tab01) is the official procedure from Microsoft to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.

The Windows Easy Transfer tool can transfer from your XP to the Windows 7 so you can make that transfer once you have completed the upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. You can the correct version and instructions about the process at this page (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer).

Hope this helps.
  3. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Are you taking the XP machine or the Vista machine to Windows 7?

Windows 7 is basically a paid update to Windows Vista. Vista had a lot of problems out of the gate and so got a bad rap. It was decent, though, by the time windows 7 came out. I don't think an average email/browser user is going to care about the difference. Unless your XP machine has newer hardware than the Vista machine, I would just move all my stuff to the Vista Machine and phase the XP machine out when you're sure you've moved everything.
  4. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +720
    Is there way of dumping Win 8.1 and backtracking to either Win 7 or Win XP?
  5. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    If I remember correctly, if you buy a machine with windows 8 pro on it you can backtrack for free or you only need to buy installation media. Other than that you probably have to actually buy the OS.

As for whether they'll run on a newer machine...I won't guarantee it but I'd say you have a pretty good shot with Windows 7. I don't think there's a huge difference between 7 and 8 under the hood. You probably wouldn't want to go to Windows XP because it's 32-bit and the maximum RAM for a 32-bit OS is 3.5GB.

One other thing, about downgrading, it might void your warranty if the computer isn't certified for Win 7. I don't know that for sure one way or the other just thought I'd mention it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +720
    Valuable info, thanks!