Updates on Chris Walker, Scottie Wilbekin, Eli Carter, recruiting

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by chompalot, Aug 16, 2013.

1. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +325
    Interesting read, especially on Walker and Carter.

Quote:
    Walker's father has forever been non-existent.
    His mother essentially abandoned him years ago.
    He has spent his high school years living with a guardian named Jeneen Campbell and attending one of the state of Florida's smallest public schools, mostly because he wanted to be loyal to the woman who was loyal to him. Walker could've transferred to any of the fancy basketball academies at any time over the past few years, and he would've probably benefited academically from it. But when you've been left by the adults whose top responsibility is to never leave you, it must be difficult to then turn around and leave the one adult who didn't. So Walker stayed with Campbell and at Holmes County High.
    The result of that is this.
    And it's obviously hard not to feel for Walker, who's both not far and very far from fulfilling one of his dreams. It seems pretty clear at this point that he's not going to be eligible as of next week, when he would enroll for the fall semester, but I've been told that he could be eligible in December (students can register for UF's Spring 2014 term beginning in November), which might get him on the court for Florida's rugged stretch of games against Connecticut, Kansas, and Memphis.
    The worst-case scenario, though, is Walker not getting eligible in December, and thus not for the spring. That might prompt him to think about leaving for the NBA, where he's a projected lottery pick, before ever suiting up for the Gators. If Walker does get eligible, it might make more sense for him to stay for the 2014-15 season, at least, as he's going to get a taste of what he can be at the college level, and learn better what he needs to work on to make it as a pro.
    http://www.ajc.com/feed/sports/college/around-the-world-updates-on-chris-walker-scottie/fT4fd/
  2. tim

tim Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    It said page could not be found. :/ but I am on mobile so it could be that. Would you mind recapping the parts about Scottie and Carter?
  3. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
  4. chompalot

Ratings Received:
    +325
    Sorry, I corrected it.
  5. chompalot

Ratings Received:
    +325
  6. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Walker has an experience that so many who attend small schools have, they simply do not offer enough of the Florida State University System's Core Courses, thus, if they enroll in on of the SUS schools (any one), they can only be admitted as an "Exception" to the requirement. Apparently, for NCAA Division I schools this is not an option for Scholarship athletes.

Every bit of research I have ever seen (and I have been involved in two such researchers myself), shows that the exceptions tend to do as well, if not better in the long run, as the regularly admitted students.

The NCAA is quite simply NUTS! This, along with their moronic Test Score requirements shows just how little they know about Higher Education.
  7. chompalot

Ratings Received:
    +325
    Yep, Walker has been dealt a raw deal.
  8. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +403
    Why wouldn't Walker just do what Brandon Jennings did a few years ago and sign with a Euro team for a year.....get paid, get pro experience and get drafted next year?

makes sense at this point
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,882
    So...is immediate playing time the real truth about Eli Carter?
    He hasn't applied because we are loaded at guard this year?
    Instead, he'll wait for next season....2014-2015?
  10. hoopstar

hoopstar VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    He'll play this season IMO. Ankle will be good to go when the season starts. Not 100% yet. He's a big boy!
  11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    Ive often wondered why more players dont do this. I know some euro teams are reluctant to take an 18 yo American player who will most likely leave after a year and some have a limit of foreign players they can have. I would think the NBDL would a bigger, so they can stay in the country and some team can develop them for their system.
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    and fwiw Wilbekin's problem is a drug issue.
  13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +918
    Can't imagine Carter not being able to complete the requirements by December. The speculation that he would be going to the NBA next year is quite a stretch. Chris and his surrogate family have too much invested in getting him enrolled at UF.