Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Update: Kelly buzz..."The Thread" Hall of Fame bound.

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by tilly, Nov 10, 2017.

1. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    Less so than with Dak but it's still a spread option offense

2. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    He still loses to equal or better teams sub .500 in conference with one 6 win division record losing the last 2 after starting 6-0

Context is for losers if he was better we wouldn't be discussing what he hasn't done. Saying he is better than S Crooms is like comparing Butch Jones to Derrick Dooley it all about context. SMH

You probably also believe in moral victories. FTR I didn't know Dan had a brother who posted here.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    Omg

Let me just time machine back to 1989 and tell Steve Spurrier his 8-win season at Duke simply won't cut it at Florida.

Please tell me you're not serious with this nonsense.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. denny_crane

denny_crane All American

Apr 14, 2007
    Nationale_oldtimerdag_Zandvoort_2010,_1982_PORSCHE_924,_HD-SB-44.JPG

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. nationalchamp24

nationalchamp24 Freshman

Nov 26, 2013
    Tilly, what does the system say now? I need Chip man

6. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    I just wonder how well that would work with our current roster as we don't seem to have a guy that would be a durable runner from the QB spot.

7. 21

21 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 24, 2007
    Yeah it still relies on a lot of quarterback runs.... their quarterback is a big guy like Tebow who can handle the running load

8. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    you ready for a checkmate?

ok

prepare yourself ...

hope you're sitting down ...

deep breath? ok

and ... scene

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Are those teams only considered equal because of what Mullen has done with that program? Answer: Yes. If you were viewing Mullen's accomplishments through the lens of the Mississippi State that preceded him, you'd be arguing that he consistently beats equal teams and manages to beat better teams a few times per year.

Context isn't for losers. We're evaluating how well a coach would do at Florida. Do you think Mississippi State is as good of a program as Florida? Do you think Florida plays a more difficult schedule than Mississippi State? Do you think Mississippi State attracts equal talent when compared to Florida?

You're acting as if Mullen is already coaching at a Florida-level program. It's flawed logic. And in that last paragraph, you're deflecting because you don't want to cede ground but are running out of points to make.

• Like Like x 4
  10. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    You and howdy should work together. Vandy much less success than MissState. Franklin spanked us, UT, and others in the prior to leaving for PSU. He was a hotter commodity when he jumped.

How many of the bowl game would you have attended if Florida was substituted for MSU? Maybe 1.

You can take a average coach put him at an underachieving program give him a decade to produce and he will exceed the norm for that school. Especially give the reforms in place for recruiting and conference money via tv.

I'm simply saying that same production will get him run in 4 years and what is it going to cost salary and buyout? These are honest questions. There are other coaches who are available for less money to produce the same results and set up the next guy.

11. TheEraser

TheEraser Premium Member

Dec 9, 2015
    You guys really arguing about the 4th option with 5 days to go lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Nostradamus

Nostradamus VIP Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Ok, gonna power down the west coast shift for tonight from Seattle. Have a 5k run in the early am.

Catch u guys after that.

13. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    I'm laughing so hard. Yes, the average coach will exceed the norm. :D Is this really the logic we're dealing with? Just admit that for some arcane reason you dislike Mullen and it skews your brain away from numbers, context and reasoning.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013

Do you ride the short bus?

You are implying that a longer history of similiar achievement DM to a coach with a shorter time span who then achieved more at the next school doesn't count. I'm simply saying the groundwork Saban layer at Mich St would have borne success that Mullen hadn't seen at MSU

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  15. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    dude Mullen is an average coach who followed SC at MSU and any other average coach would have had similiar success.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    How are you not getting this? I'm simply pointing out your blatant hypocrisy and ability to play make believe with Nick Saban in an effort to gain parity with Mullen's reality.

I'm indifferent to Mullen as a person. You clearly dislike him. It's influencing your reasoning. It's why you dismiss the numbers in comparison to his predecessors (dating back decades). It's why you don't see the massive improvement and why you're incapable of extrapolating that to a better program. This is a lost cause. You will never listen to reason or consider the numbers in context.

Again, he doubled their SEC winning percentage over the previous 40 years. You'd have to be blind, deaf and wholly unaware of football to not see the value of that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    Amazing. You realize literally nobody agrees with this, right?

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Franklin spanked a 4-8 Gator team. He beat Derek Dooley-led Tennessee teams (and a 5-7 Butch Jones-led team). How many wins over ranked opponents did Franklin have in his three years at Vandy?

Just to get you on record, Florida is now a lateral move from Mississippi State? They're equal as programs?

That's not the discussion here. Mullen didn't just exceed the norm. He vastly exceeded them. You can take a truly great coach, put him at a bad program in a competitive conference, and he will have trouble putting out great teams year in and year out. For example:
    Mullen's winning percentage at MSU: 60.5%
    Spurrier's winning percentage at SC: 63.7%

For my money, Spurrier is one of the best CFB coaches of all time. Yet, his winning percentage at South Carolina is only incrementally better than Mullen's winning percentage at MSU. That's the problem with taking over struggling programs in the SEC. It's difficult to sustain high-level success in such a competitive conference.

They're not honest questions because assuming he'll get the same production at UF treats UF and MSU as equals. Is that what you're telling us? Are MSU and UF equals in your mind?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    So you can't argue DM and resort to bringing in Steve to support your position. Really??????
    Spurrier proved himself with the Bandits prior to Duke. There was no no doubt bout his bona fides. You are married to propping up a potential over paid hire. I don't see the upside to that transaction.

20. flipdaddy5

flipdaddy5 All American

Jan 3, 2015
    Sorry for planting that seed :D