Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Update: Kelly buzz..."The Thread" Hall of Fame bound.

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by tilly, Nov 10, 2017.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Not at all. I have stated multiple timed he is not the next choice. My guess is he is 4th on the list.
    Just saying if it ends up being him or any of the other 5-6 options we will be much better off than before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    He's not my first choice but you tell me a guy has Mississippi State at multiple 9+ win seasons and I extrapolate that to success at UF.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    No he wasn't he has an overall losing record in the SEC save one 6-2 season he's usually under .500 that means 3-5 a year. Look it up. Remove the jugernaught that is Bama and he still loses to 3-4 more Sec teams a year. He is Jim M with more points and the same failures.

Pick a different coach to argue for as a replacement that isn't JK or S Frost, that might be where are headed. But ask yourself when that choice is made how are you going to feel? Would you be thrilled to hear his name or satisfied with announcement.

That is our potential reality. My point is if SS had stood at the podium and said JM is relieved as coach and Dan M is our next coach the angst would have been epic. If he is announced this weekend the angst will still be there and rightly so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. lakeland_gator

lakeland_gator Junior

Jan 23, 2014
    Source: Still feeling confident.

Nighty night.

• Like Like x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. nationalchamp24

nationalchamp24 Freshman

Nov 26, 2013
    Tilly, ok I understand. However, I am highly concerned about your system. I thought Kelly was a lock. Please tell us we still have a chance.

6. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    His record at MSU far exceeds their norm how are you not getting this?

7. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    You seem stuck comparing MSU to UF when you should be comparing MSU To Vandy. He's done better than Franklin and you see how Franklin is at a better school

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    I've contained my posted to his SEC record. That should be the measuring stick. Retread my posts that lint is clear. He has done nothing to me personally. I'm pointing out that those will to embrace his hire will be the same ones lighting the torches within 4 years.

Instead of taking a shot at me why don't you cut and paste his SEC W&L for the 9 years instead of padding your winning percentage with OOC wins, then crawl back under your rock.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Mississippi State is a Vandy-level school. With Mullen there, they were competing with Auburn, TAMU, Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU. In any given year, odds were that all but one or two of those schools were ranked. Mullen picked up 1-2 wins per year against those schools.(sometimes more). That's the definition of punching up. It was like James Franklin at Vandy.

Let's assume that Mullen wins two more games per year at UF due to superior talent and the easier schedule. Here's what his tenure at UF looks like:
    Year 1: 7-5
    Year 2: 11-2
    Year 3: 9-4
    Year 4: 10-3
    Year 5: 9-4
    Year 6: 12-1
    Year 7: 11-2
    Year 8: 8-5
    Year 9: 11-2 (assuming they win one and lose one)

Is that absolutely ideal for UF? No. We'd love to have Urban Meyer-level success (without the slimy exit). That's more Les Miles. But at this point, I'd take it. Maybe we get tired of him and fire him down the line like UGA did with Richt, but we would have set the program up well for the next guy.

Anyways, I understand your concerns. I have concerns too. Mullen isn't #1 on my list. But I don't think he'd be the disaster that Mac and Muschamp were. He'd be a good coach for us.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Good point let's compare Franklins success over a shorter timeframe with better success. A much better arc for Franklin. I concur while he was at Vandy you could see he would be good at his next stop but even he stumbles and his potential involvement with the rapes at Vandy would disqualify him for UF in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    Glad to. Let me blow your mind.

MSU 10 years prior to Mullen in the SEC: 17-55 (23%).

MSU since Mullen: 33-38 (47%),.

That, my friend, is called context and precisely why your superficial conditions are nonsensical metrics. He doubled their SEC record concurrently with that division becoming the hardest in college football.

Again, sorry about your dog, but that's impressive

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    Here's another fun one:

9+ win seasons 1941-2008: 3

9+ win seasons post Mullen: 3 (about to be 4)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Let's NOT assume anything. Let's admit he doesn't beat teams with equal or better talent period. I acknowledge that he would leave the program in better shape whatever that means to you. But you are now talking 10-12 years of wandering around maybe longer. I'm not advocating for anyone I'm simply point out the short comings to those who are ready to embrace a mediocre hire because he gets us to 9 win seasons. And you haven't even addressed the financial package we will over pay for this particular hire.

14. howdygator

howdygator Junior

May 25, 2017
    In short, your inability to understand the context of Mississippi State makes your analysis worthless. I suspect it's driven by some random gripe about this dude, but if you're intellectually honest and look at what he's done at a school that crummy it's very impressive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Never said he was a lock. No way.
    Of course we have a chance.

16. justkidding1

justkidding1 Junior

Nov 16, 2017
    I actually figured Mullen would win 3 more games per yr at UF. You could call it 2 + the sec east bonus if you like.

I think Mullen would do great here. Would be disappointing that we missed on kelly but if he does not want to be in the sec so be it, frost or mullen

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    “Were”, so are we now? What is your sources saying?

18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    How many ranked teams did Franklin beat during his team at Vandy? As I recall, the answer is one. But I might be missing one. One win over a ranked team in three years at Vandy. How many wins over ranked teams does Mullen have at MSU?

Franklin did not punch up better than Mullen. I'm not saying that Mullen is a better coach than Franklin, but I am saying that what Mullen has done with an absolute doormat deserves a lot more credit than you're giving. Mississippi State finished at .500 or better just once from 2001 to 2008. They appeared in 9 bowls games from 1980 to 2008. By the end of this year, they'll have 8 bowl appearances in 9 years under Mullen and only two seasons with losing records (one of those being a 6-7 season).

You're not giving nearly enough credit to that turnaround and sustained success.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    I haven't watched MSU with any regularity, but does Mullen's offense still rely heavily on the QB run?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I felt like two was a conservative estimate. Regardless, I think it speaks volumes.

• Like Like x 1