Unusual honor for Joakim Noah

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by StrangeGator, Jul 1, 2013.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
    The Chicago Reader, the local arts and culture weekly published its "Best Of" issue this past week. They don't cover sports, but they aren't ignorant of it either. In their best of sports Joakim was named Chicago's "Best Athlete." They also had another rather unusual category titled "Best Display of Hustle to Make You Question Your Own Resolve as a Human Being." That distinction of course went to Joakim as well, with these astute observations.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...n-resolve-as-a-human-being/BestOf?oid=9868879

Chicago loves Joakim.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452
    Noah is one of those guys you either love or hate.

Love that award title. Fortunately all the NBA Gators are representing the University quite well.
  3. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    I suspect they came up with that title just for Joakim. Fits perfectly!
  4. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,566
    I always question my own resolve as a human being to begin with.
  5. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +761
    To be fair, this is kind of a low point in Chicago sports history as far as great athletes go. Urlacher is retired. Rose hasn't played in over a year and neither baseball team has a clear standout. Even the best players on our championship hockey team are relatively unknown. Jo is a great player, but he's also a character, almost a cartoon character. He's just impossible to ignore. The editorial staff at the Reader might not even be aware of any other professional athletes because no one else shows up at as many gallery openings, music festivals and dance clubs. He's their kind of guy.

I'd like to see him earn this same distinction next year, when there's actually some competition.
  6. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +116
    Doesn't fit the mold.

This cat has always been more than just an entitled dumb-ass athlete who cares about nothing but himself. He's certainly not a cartoon character. You should be proud of him.
  7. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Cool story.
  8. sixoburn

sixoburn Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Strange, I would say Patrick Kane is "unknown" because he plays hockey. Granted, he isn't Crosby, but at the age of 24 he is a 3x all star.
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Jo is probably my most favorite Gator ever.

When he was a freshman it was clear that he had no idea how to play the game, but he had drive. A lot of the time he had no idea what D we were playing and a lot of the time he guessed wrong. It was painful to watch as a fan.

As a sophomore he usually knew what to do, but didn't always. Thankfully he was so gifted athletically that he made up for his mistakes most of the time. He filled highlight reels with his brilliance, but he still was making fundamental errors on occasion.

As a junior he settled into his role with all of the pieces around him. He may have hurt his draft status by playing another year at UF, but he really grew as a player by doing so. It was like he finally understood the game and was a joy to watch.

I am so happy to see him doing so well in the NBA. He deserves it.
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +761
    Don't want to be misunderstood here. I am very proud of him. His antics are cartoonish in the best way. He is the most "animated" player in the NBA and the most energetic. Stan Lee couldn't create a character as original or comically heroic as him. Jo is my favorite Gator in any professional sport. He is smart, funny, generous and good natured. I predict he will become one of the most beloved athletes in Chicago sports history.

We actually have a family connection. My brother and sister in-law were friendly with the extended Noah family in Younde, Cameroon. My sister in-law leased tennis courts from Zachary and Yannick to teach lessons there. She and Zachary became close friends the day she showed up at his house with a check wearing a Gator shirt. (He made her share a bottle of run with him to toast their Gator-ness.) Her daughter and Zachary's granddaughter, Jo's first cousin, were best friends through their early school years. The family photo album from the Cameroon years is full of Noahs.
  11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Ernie Banks will be hard to top.

I grew up on the Southside as a diehard Sox fan (vaguely recalling the late-1950's and vividly recalling the 1960's on out), but I couldn't hate "Let's play two" Ernie.

And he could really play.

And then there is Gale Sayers.

And Walter Payton.

And also MJ, but he had major marketing behind his lovableness.

Added in edit:

Jo is an authentically good guy. I have seen him at some Gator hoops games the past few years genuinely enjoying interacting with kids that would come up to him. Lovely person.
  12. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +761
    Agree. Met him at a golf tournament years ago and he was a very nice guy. Sayers and Payton were great players great guys as well. Walter already has a high school named after him Appropriately, it's now the best in the city. Forget Jordan. He's not the guy we thought he was.

But like you said, Jo is a good guy, and possibly more charismatic than any of the great athletes you mentioned. If he continues to round out his game, the Bulls get back on the championship track and he stays in Chicago for most of his career, he will stand with the best of them. He is just impossible to forget.