Union official blames Remington Arms expansion in Alabama on NY SAFE Act

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by wargunfan, Mar 16, 2014.

1. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Remington Arms is opening a new plant in Huntsville Alabama. Union officials at Remington's Ilion, NY plant fear that this is just the first step towards the eventual closing or downsizing of their factory. Way to go Gov. Cuomo! We here in the South will gladly take all those high paying jobs in the arms industry.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index...._not_good_for_ilion_plant_union_official.html

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....end_our_rights_motto_played_role_in_move.html

I can foresee Colt leaving Hartford Conn. as well. The arms industry is going to wind up operating where they are welcomed. It can't happen soon enough.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Remington is saying all the right things about keeping their New York plant open. I expect they will downsize the NY plant by attrition before quietly closing it some years hence.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,850
    And THAT is why the free market enterprise system is the only competent system. Now the NLRB may have a say so as to what they can do down there (or against NY) but that is what we voted for.
  4. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Alabama is a right to work state with lower wages/cost of living and lower taxes. To me it is a foregone conclusion that New York jobs will be coming to Alabama. No CEO whose company is not welcome in a state such as New York will pay union wages and high state taxes for very long when a better alternative is already operating in their Alabama plant. I have seen the New York TV ads about tax free expansion for ten years and my response is: Wait until the ten years is up an watch what happens to your taxes!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,280
    And if they delay or disallow this it will be criminal Unionist intervention.
  6. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +769
    Magpul recently left Colorado when most of the products they manufacture became illegal to sell there when they enacted new gun legislation. Even though their sales footprint is national, they moved all of their manufacturing and sales to Wyoming and Texas. Colorado loses hundreds of jobs, Magpul goes where they are welcome, and they will do better on taxes as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +308
    If taxes are so great why does NY put them on hold to attract new businesses? Hmmmmm
  8. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,280
    For ten years no less. What a scam. I wonder what the old businesses already in NY think about that sweetheart the deal new companies are getting offered.
  9. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +308
    Perhaps they can close or reorganize to take advantage of that deal? Maybe form a new corp and buy out the old one?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,280
    Yeah, I wonder too.
  11. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,850
    Not really any different than Boeing, just the scale of the impact. I think that is the primary goal of unions and their support of Obama...and future Obamas. They want an entrenched group of their puppets in the NLRB so that they can dictate terms in the future.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +211
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    Well, writing this from Buffalo, NY - here's my perspective. They do the whole 10-year deal to sweeten the deal, which they sell to taxpayers as a way to attract businesses. However, they're having big time problems right now - as a couple of examples, Conagra bought out an old food preparation business and is now closing the place after receiving their incentives. A local mortgage company applied for tax breaks/incentives, and then cut over 100 jobs after receiving the breaks they claimed they needed to "create" jobs.

Etc, etc.

The cost of everything around here is ridiculous, and the taxes just keep going up. It's a sticker shock I'm sure when those 10 years are up, but by then you'd have the expense of paying for employees to move, new location, etc, so it's probably a wash to stay in his disaster. Even with that, you see plenty of people leaving, which drives the taxes higher because there's a smaller base, and so on and so on.
  14. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,835
    This is not unusual that the Northeast chases companies to the south. It's been happening for years
  15. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    Oh it'd make my life sooooooooo much easier if my husband's company moved to Florida. Why they originally scouted North Palm Beach as an alternative (which was too expensive - late 1990s/2000 I believe) is beyond me :(
  16. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,835
    I remember the 70's and 80's when many companies moved out of NJ to the south. This was due to taxes and unions.