Uniforms for this Saturday.....ughhh

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by TheGator, Oct 4, 2013.

1. gatorhwk

gatorhwk Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Come on obob ...

Let's look at the second post of the thread.

I've been responding to what you've posted ... not what you apparently meant to post.

I'm sorry you don't see the big elephant in the room that is the entire sports arena ... of which a huge percentage is the NCAA. Its a valid strategy. Please contact the leaders of the awarwness initiative with your billion cheaper and more effective means ... I'm sure they would appreciate it. I know I would.
  2. gatorhwk

gatorhwk Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Thank you very much!!!
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,308
    OBOB, I generally agree with your POV on a lot of things around here, This one....not so much and thats fine.

However, you actually DID call it a terrible tradition. In the 2nd post on page 1:

4. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Just think about the ripple effect if a cure. From people who make a pink sign to the manufacturer of oncology text books to people working these in beautful cancer centers. Ever notice those are the nicest medical buildings around. Hmmmm
  5. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    hahaha. Many are pushing to get rich. I know for a fact. Let me know if you want concrete evidence and we'll go to other forum
  6. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,308
    Even with a cure though, the jobs will be there. Someone has to administer the treatments that cure people. A VACCINE would eliminate cancer care providers, a CURE would just shuffle their methods of administering care.

Now, if you want debate if GOVERNMENT wants a cure or not, I'd be willing to have that talk. They allow so much poison in our foods its ridiculous. My wife and I have done a lot of research over the past year, and it turns your stomach what we feed our kids. We have completely changed our lifestyle of eating. Well I have...My wife has always been the healthy eater.
  7. gatorhwk

gatorhwk Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I'm sure there are many leaches in the industry. Hard for me to say but, here's to hoping none of them have to deal with the disease personally.

Btw ... none of this is fodder to laugh at. I hope your closeness to the money grubbing side of the issue doesn't blind you to the good that is being done.
  8. gatorhwk

gatorhwk Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Sheesh man ...

With all the money grabbing there is I'm surprised anyone wants to blow it on great facilities. They should be buying French villas instead. Likewise, its well known that cancer patients enjoy spending perhaps the last months, weeks, days and hours of their lives rwcteiving chemo treatments in run down, second rate centers.

I'm really floored by this board ...
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Actually he said this:

I don't think wearing pink to support breast cancer is a terrible tradition, I think loading our athletes up with pink is. There's a big difference in the two.
  10. gatorhwk

gatorhwk Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Sorry ... now were into a semantics discussion. As I stated before, I'm only commenting on what you've said in the context of your response to my and other posts.

I've always appreciated your desire to debate, but your succinct posts apparently aren't conveying your positions.
  11. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,308
    Fair enough. I can see your distinction.

I simply disagree though, (that it is a terrible tradition). Players, many with mothers, sisters etc with cancer, love doing this. Fans seem to react positively to it (Except on this board :plain: )

It hurts NOBODY, and helps arguably many. I support it 100% and am proud that the Gators do to.
  12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,032
    IMO, I'm all for cancer awareness weeks and such, but a pink ribbon on the jersey would have sufficed. This is just way too much and personally, I'm tired of big games where we change up our unis to such an extent. Whatever happened to tradition?
  13. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Not sure who said they were crooked ...

The facts on Komen are out there for anyone who cares to look them up and make their own determination of their effectiveness as a charitible organization and how your donated dollars are being spent (or not being spent).

- They spent 15% of their money on research in 2011. By comparison the Breast Cancer Research Foundation spends 90% on research. They too are rated 4 stars by CharityNavigator.org.
    - Komen cancelled half of their races last year ... donations are down.
    - The CEO received a 64% raise to $684k for a $340M org. By comparison the CEO of Red Cross makes $500k for a $3.4B org.
    - There is some evidence that "awareness" and the pink campaign is played out ... data shows the percentage of women getting mammograms as stable or slightly declining.

My wife and I, like many other people, have chosen to turn our support away from Komen and move it towards organizations that more directly support the fight against breast cancer. We donate to the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center in Seattle.
  14. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    most "charities" exist to fund high salaries for administrators, with a relatively low % of revenues actually being used for "charitable purposes."
  15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,736
    if you are going to support a cause.....

[​IMG]
  16. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    Grumpy, I think your choice of what to do with your money or support is well thought out.
  17. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,308
    ...and thats noble and good, but why try and downplay the good that still comes from the awareness campaigns? That's what I don't get about this thread. My wife and I dont choose Komen as one of our charities of choice either, but I certainly would never discourage ANYONE from doing so...Nor would I be as aggravated as many seem to be about some pink socks on a Saturday night.
  18. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,725
    Nothing bad? The guys are wearing pink, that's pathetic.
  19. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Tilly, my purpose in posting has been to clarify the notion of the NFL's and Komen's actual support of research and a search for a cure for breast cancer.

As I have posted twice, the benefit that comes from the awareness campaigns is debatable.

I would encourage people to investigate Komen before donating and consider donating twice the amount to another breast cancer charity.

I don't think I ever said the Gators should not wear pink socks ... I would just prefer there was more substance behind the gesture instead of it being the commercialized thing it has become, that more of the proceeds were going toward research and that other cancers, diseases, causes were getting similar support.
  20. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,725
    And u like being constantly bombarded by other peoples wants, needs desires or whatever? There are many awful diseases out there, they all deserve our support equally.