Under/Over on next SEC title?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by 247brother, Feb 9, 2014.

1. 247brother

247brother Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    What are your thoughts? UF next SEC title will come within 5 years or it will take 5 or more years before we recapture a SEC crown again?
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,205
    Have been thinking about posting a thread about 2014, but the thought, in a round about way, applies here. For much of the past two years, several posters felt that 2014 was "the year." Some said it would be the year we compete for SEC and national championships. Naturally, this past year's woes tempered that talk. So my question is: why should we not feel this is "the year" to the extent some did previously? Some of that answer involves:

a) Driskel injury/unknown how he will rebound
    b) New OC/how quickly can the players learn the system? How much of it will they be prepared to run?
    c) Can we overcome the lack of experienced depth in key areas (QB, DB, DL, WR)?

Sorry that this, while related, potentially sends the thread in another direction. To answer the question re: within five years. Heck ya! :D
  3. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Presuming we have WM as HC, In five years---70/30. We need a lot of work both coaching and talent. I think the talent is coming, but still not where it needs to be. The coaching is still a big question in my opinion.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,049
    I'm going out on a limb here and saying we will be right in the thick of things in the SEC east this coming year. I believe we will wear teams out with the fast paced No huddle offense and our aggressive defense. We have a tough schedule and see us realistically going 9-3/ 10-2 yet still being very competitive in those losses to some very tough competition.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    We'll have one in the next five years, with or without coach muschamp. Jmo
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +490
    With the combined talent in the last two classes, they are the talent base we need. Add some time for them to get stronger and we should be close.

One more class of recruits for depth and a playmaker or two and we should be able to compete with anyone.
  7. gatorintx2014

gatorintx2014 Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    Barring injuries, I think we will compete for the SEC East this year. I'm thinking it all comes down to the Georgia game. If we win, we get the East. IMO, we will be in the NC within 3 years.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    I'll take the over all day long!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Boring Boring x 1
  9. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    I'll take the under, all day long.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    Good luck.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  11. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,959
    We'll win the SEC and the NC within 5 years with Muschamp as HC.
    • Funny x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Boring x 1
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,747
    I'm sure we can win a conference title within five years, but doubt it will be this year. Schedule is too brutal - nobody wins on schedules like this.

For the past ten years, below are the BCS CG participants regular season schedules (teams were undefeated unless otherwise indicated), compared against final season rankings. The sweet spot for getting in appears to be playing three top 25 teams including one top 10 team during the regular season.

The most impressive is LSU beating three top 10 teams and a fourth top 25 team in 2011. Only two teams have played more than four top 25 teams (five) and made it this far, and both played only one top ten team.

I don't have time to go back further, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that no team has ever played a schedule like we have coming this year (or played in 2012), and won their conference or even made it to their conference championship. We came the closest in 2012 with five wins over top 25 teams including three over top ten teams. That was an incredible run in spite of a first year QB playing behind an OL that couldn't pass protect, and throwing to a marginal receiving corp.

- UFS: 1 top 10 team.
    - Auburn: 3 top 25 teams including 1 top 10 team.

- Bama: 3 top 25 teams including 1 top 10 team. Went 2-1.
    - Notre Dame: 3 top 25 teams including 1 top 10 team.

- Florida: 6 top 25 teams including 4 top 10 teams. Went 5-1.

- Bama: 2 top 10 teams. Split 1-1. (doesn't look to me like Bama earned their spot, but they were the best)
    - LSU: 4 top 25 including 3 top ten teams.

- Auburn: 5 top 25 teams including 2 top 10 teams. Went 4-1.
    - Oregon: 1 top ten team.

- Bama: 3 top 25 teams including 1 top 10 team.
    - Texas: 1 top 25 team.

- Gators: 3 top 25 teams. Went 2-1.
    - Oklahoma: 5 top 25 teams including 2 top 10 teams. Went 4-1.

- LSU: 4 top 25 including 1 top 10 team. 3-1 against them and another loss against a UK team that dropped out of top 25.
    - Bucknuts: 2 top 25 teams. Beat them both but lost to unranked Illinois.
    Strange season with a bunch of teams at the top getting losses.

- Gators: 4 top 25 teams including 2 top 10 teams. Went 3-1.
    - Bucknuts: 3 top 25 teams including 1 top 10 team.

- USC: 3 top 25 teams.
    - Texas: 3 top 25 teams including 1 top 10 team.

- USC: 3 top 25 teams including 2 top 10 teams.
    - Oklahoma: 2 top 25 teams including 1 top 10 team.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
    UF should be able to compete with anybody RIGHT NOW. The fact that UF is still having depth and talent issues in year 4 of this coaching regime is really ridiculous.

And frankly, I'm getting tired of all the excuses that people throw out there to justify why this staff still has a job. For me, it's put up or shut up time. No more excuses.

UF SHOULD compete for a SEC title, or at least, an SEC division title RIGHT AWAY. If we don't then something is wrong. As long as UF wins 8 or 9 games this year, the staff should get one more year, 2015, to try to win a title. But if they can't then I think at that point it's time to say goodbye.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,747
    I basically agree with this. We should compete for a division title. I think the schedule is too brutal to win it, but we should compete. If we do win our division, Champ is back to coach of the year again.

UGA (again) and Mizzou have the easiest paths. UGA gets Arky and Auburn while Mizzou gets Arky and the Aggies.

USCe gets the Aggies and Auburn, while we get Bama and LSU.

Auburn should probably beat UGA, and maybe the Aggies will get Mizzou, so if we can pull a split with Bama and LSU, we may at least get on a level playing field within the division. Without that split, it's all uphill though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +555
    My feeling is that the home schedule is favorable for Florida. ALl the tough SEC east games are at home except UGA, which is obviously neutral site. So as long as UF doesn't lose a game they shouldn't (like to vandy or UT on the road), then UF will control their destiny AT HOME, other than the UGA game.

So yeah, Alabama is almost certainly a loss, but the rest of the games on the schedule should be winnable. And if they want to keep their jobs, they better win a decent amount of them.
  16. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,747
    Winning a decent amount is different from winning the division. Again, as far as I can tell, there has never been a CFB team that has won their conference (or more) against a schedule like this.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,959
    I'm with Oak in agreeing with you for the most part. The only thing I'll say we don't really know about our talent and depth yet for year 4. I've safely predicted 8-9 wins but can see our team playing with anybody and doing better then that if Roper and Summers have the impact I think they will.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +555
    Totally fair. Especially if all the teams on the schedule are just as good as 2013. But I think Missouri will be worse, especially on defense where they lost a LOT, and I think LSU will be weaker on offense. USCe will be strong, but in no way unbeatable, and I think they won't be as good at QB. UK and Vandy should be wins. UT on the road could be tricky but I don't think they are there yet. UGA is a problem, as I think they are loaded on offense and defense, which should help soften the blow of having a new qb. I really want to see 6 SEC wins.
  19. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,747
    Agree. On the bottom line in particular.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,443
    Was going to say the same thing...if champ stinks it up this year, a new coach will inherit a load of talent. If champ does well enough to win the sec, that suits me fine as well...don't want to be David downer bit if he wins the sec The question becomes can he win it consistently..you know that question s coming but to put in context it's a good problem to have because it means he won the sec title in the first place.