Under Armor Rumblings...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by BengermanV, Jan 2, 2014.

1. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +280
    ok buddy, I guess 'most of the year' is good enough for the pro-Muschamp crowd. lol. Reality is our top 5 defense gave up 500 yds to Missouri, 400 yds rushing to G. Southern, 35 points to Vandy, ... I won't even bring up FSU. You saw it.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Im not "pro-Muschamp" I'm pro common sense.

With all our problems and all the injuries added to the attrition from last years team, we were still top 10 defense. Fact.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +280
    Common sense is pretty subjective my friend. And you know what they say about statistics.
  4. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Top 10 in just about every defensive category. Dealing with Easly injury, various injuries to our starters/backups every game, dealing with an offense that can't score added to the NFL players we lost last season... I think asking much more than we got is quite unreasonable. Ill say it once again, Top 10 defense. Our problem this year was offense, please don't let that disaster cloud your judgement on anything and everything Florida football.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Our defense was awesome except when it wasnt
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    We were in a position to win every single game as late as the 3rd quarter and most of them in the 4th quarter. Our defense was thin and wore out and our offense was inept and couldn't score. Its right there to see if you want to see it. Muschamp shouldn't be the coach right now, the offense he brought in is garbage and the offensive staff hasn't developed anyone it seems, but give the man credit where its due. His defense tried its hardest and kept us in every game this year, and they won us a lot of games we shouldn't have last year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +280
    You are making my point then. Easly and the rest of the 'NFL players we lost last season' were 09/10 recruits. That was the point of my whole argument so thank you.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    But your other point was that this defense wasn't good, if I read it right. The players you originally quoted have done some good things this year and helped us do what we did last year. If I took your ultimate point wrong, im sorry. Fact is this defense was good all things considered. Give us Easly back and I bet we are easily (pun intended) a bowl team.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +280
    My point was against the notion that this whole mess is due to poor 09/10 classes. To me that's a myth and bad excuse. The best players Muschamp has had mostly came from those classes. In my haste to make my point I did undervalue the contribution of those individuals so I'll rectify that, those are good players. I do believe that regardless of statistics our defense took a pretty big step back from last year because those elite players we lost to the NFL and injury were not replaced by other elite players. But yeah, overall our D is still good and looks like gold compared to our pathetic offense and comical special teams.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. beachgator23

beachgator23 Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Lets analyze...Our defense ended this year #14 of 125 according to Bill Connelly's F+ ratings. Our offense was #99.

4-5 star DL Muschamp recruited still rostered (10):
    D.Fowler (5 star) J.Bullard (5 star) L.Orr (4 star) Cummings (4 star) Bostwick (4 star) J.Sherit (4 star)C.Brantley (4 star) J.Ivie (4 star) New Recruits: K.Clark (4 star) G.Willis (5 star)

4-5 star LBs Muschamp recruited still rostered (5): Morrison (4 star) Anzalone (4 star) D.McMillan (4 star) M.Rolin (4 star), J.Powell (4 star)

4-5 star DBs Muschamp recruited still rostered (10): VH3 (5 star) Poole (4 star) Gorman (4 star) Maye (4 star) Neal (4 star) Washington (4 star) M.Harris (4 star) plus recruits D.Dawson (4 star) C.Lammons (4 star) Q.Wilson (4 star)

That is 25 bluechip defensive players on the roster for 2014 alone. 3 to 4 more will also return from Urban: R.Powell? (5 star), M.Taylor (4 star) N.Ball (4 star) and Riggs (4 star). So will will bring 28-29 bluechip even if we don't land L.Carter or JC Jackson.

Most teams would kill to have nearly 30 blue chip defensive players. Muschamp recruited most of these guys. Yes we took a step backwards from #2 to #14 but that wasn't awful CONSIDERING we lost Floyd, Easley(in reality), Bostic, J.Jenkins, J.Evans and M.Elam. Those were 6 NFL players that started as rookies. We also lost very solid experienced bluechip guys in O.Hunter (5 star) and L.McCray (4 star).

Guys like Fowler, Bullard, VH3 and Poole are rising stars. Some of the young LBs will emerge. We will be fine defensively and most likely better than in 2013. As far as yardage look what has happened to the vaunted Bama defense in its last 2 games.

Our defense will be good enough to win games with an assemblence of an adequate offense. Obviously that is the million dollar question. Can Roper lead us to a turnaround on offense fast enough?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,042
    With or without the casts on there legs, arms, neck, etc. ? That wasn't your original post. It's said the ONLY reason we won 11 games last year was because of the guys you listed. While I agree they were hugely instrumental in that season there were other contributors to that season too.

I will admit though it's a bit confusing..... first it was all "luck", now it's those guys you mentioned who were drafted to the nfl which was why we won, but then I hear no one develops as players here, yet although they were meyer recruits, elam, reed, floyd, easley, etc, spent a majority of their playing college career under the tutelage of our coach. With the exception of when they (most) were true freshman.

Everything of course hasn't been all peachy and have had some transfers but so do a lot of major programs these days. Just saying they weren't the only reason we won. Coaching believe it or not had a ton to do with it. Remember how dominant we were last season after making half time adjustments? That's coaching not just players.

Now this year....... ehhhh. SMH.
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Anyone that thinks injuries had nothing to do with last year's crappy season needs to rethink their logic.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +280
    Again, I never claimed it was all luck. And yes, saying those guys were the only reason we won was hyperbole (Welcome to a message board!! SMH too) But it was in response to the tired 'it's all Meyer's fault excuse'. The 09 and 10 classes were loaded with some really good players. Yes, there was attrition, of course, we went through a coaching change. Yes, the offensive recruits have either left of failed to perform. Who can perform given the horrid scheme we run? As far as coaching, I have always agreed Muschamp is very good defensive coordinator, you give him the talent and depth and he will put a good product on the field. The problem is that he is a lousy head coach.
  14. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +280
    Can't say I'm as optimistic about our defense moving forward. I think we will continue to be good, we have recruited well (though not at the level of Meyer/Zook IMO) and it's Muschamp's strong suit. But as dominant as last year? I don't see it. Our DL should be a strength, but we all saw how much we suffered without Easley. I also have high hopes for our safeties, though I'm not as sure about CB outside VH3. LB is a huge concern and a real question mark. They were awful this season, Morrison showed some flashes as a frosh but was average at best as a starter. I like Ball. Taylor is just ok. I think Powell goes pro. Rollin and Anzalone have zero experience and coming off major injuries.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,042
    That wasn't directed at you per say, but you heard the "lucky" word tossed around as much as I did. It really does discredit the incredible job those young men did that season.
  16. ravishing

ravishing VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Our defense was lights out in most of our games, even with the offense going 3 and out on most possessions. 1.) The Missouri game - beyond the season-ending injuries (Easley, etc,), we were also missing Bullard, Cummings?, several LB's, etc. We were missing 5-6 starters on D that day.
    2.) Against Georgia Southern, we were down 5 LB's and played a 5th year walk-on white guy most of the day at LB who wasn't on the 110 man roster sheets they hand out at games. We also played a bunch of undersized freshman on the DL/DE that haven't played all year. Although it appeared embarassing to give up 429 yards on defense, most of those yards were on 4 long plays (60+ yards) when one guy (likely a LB who's never stepped on the field) missed his assignment. That game was lost on offense. Georgia Southern had one of the worst defenses in the country and we couldn't muster any points on them. When we're up 10-0 and they were stacking the box with 11 guys, we should've done a few play-action passes and we would've scored 30 points. Our genius coaches wait until the 4th quarter when we're down by 7 and they expect us to pass to unleash a play-action pass for an 80 yard TD.
    3.) FSU -our defense was playing lights out in the first half. It should've been 3-0 at half, well 3-3 if our kicker could make a FG. That 3rd and 26 play to Shaw - he was clearly 1.5 yards short and the ref didn't measure and and of course Muschamp didn't call a time-out to review. It should've been 4th down, instead of Benjamin breaking 5 tackles for a TD on the next play. The 2nd TD before half was clearly offensive pass interference with Benjamin hanking on Purifoy's jersey and pulling him back 5 yards as he ran past him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,042
    Jarrad davis is a beast :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,042
    Can't say I would have been at my best at the tail end of a demoralizing season knowing even if we hold some of the best teams to 24 or less points we still couldn't win. I don't know if I would put to much stock into the defensive stats at the end of the season.
  19. g0ggles

g0ggles Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Even if we fielded the 2000 ravens defense this year, they still wouldn't have overcome the adversity of 2013 Florida offense. If roper can field a competent offense, I expect the 2014 defense to dominate
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,042
    My only issue with your example Is you are Comparing the Success of the elite defensive players we lost from their last year before they bolted to the nfl to the freshman and sophmore years of the elite defensive players champ has brought in to replace them. Compare fowler, bullard, vh3, morrison, bear cummings, etc freshman year to elam, floyd, easley, Powell freshman years.

It's unfair to compare seasoned experienced upperclassmen to fresh out of high school greenhorns.

We have brought in defensive studs they are just all young which should put a smile on your face knowing they will still he here for a couple more years.
    • Like Like x 1