Uncle accuses Cal of paying nephew...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jun 16, 2014.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,221
  2. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    One of those stories that isn't hard to defend Cal on if you like him - or to consider this yet more "evidence" if you don't.

Tell ya one thing, if Cal was paying this guy, then everything he's ever been even loosely accused of is true...
  3. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,221
    I don't like him, but this is such an odd story that it can hardly be considered evidence.
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,059
    I'm not a huge Cal fan but I think there needs to be more evidence that what this guy is claiming. Has a shady sound to it.
  5. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,655
    Let's see the evidence
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,881
    Unlikely.
    My take on cal isn't that he pays guys, or that he is running around breaking rules himself.
    He seems to have come to terms with a process where he stays clean and folks around the program, either knowingly or unknowingly, do the shady stuff while he stays innocent and ignorant.
  7. Msgreentea

Msgreentea Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    I tend to believe the worst in Calipari. But seriously why make accusations like that if you can't back it up with some kind of proof?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,324
    I accuse him of that all the time too, maybe I should try to sell my autobiography?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Irresponsible journalism at it's finest...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. seabudgator

seabudgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +411
    I remember a guy who NEVER tested positive for performance enhancing drugs and claimed to be unfairly attacked for years… People blamed the media, then his money grubbing former team mates, then the biased French. Until ultimately the house of cards came tumbling down and Lance Armstrong was revealed to be the lying, vindictive cheater that he is.

Not saying this story is true. Not saying Caliparis cheated here. I am saying calling this irresponsible without having seen if this guy has any evidence or corroborating witnesses seems to place the cart before the horse in this instance. I am also saying that Calipari's programs have cheated when he was the head coach. Like Armstrong, one should wonder when a pattern of accusations emerge.

I would not be biased to believe this either way other than to say "innocent until proven guilty" (while noting that my standard would not be a criminal question requiring beyond a reasonable doubt proof, but a civil issue where a preponderance of the evidence is the burden of proof). Can anybody honestly say they would be surprised if Kentucky, under Cal, was paying players? Note the question - I would be surprised if he got caught because he/kentucky/others can hide it. The question is would you be surprised if they were paying players and Cal knew or should have known?

And this is not limited to Kentucky….
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +902
    They are reporting what this random nobody is saying...it's not even the player at all, just the uncle, who "is in the process of shopping his autobiography to publishers about his life and how he went from a criminal to a pastor."

As much as we might want this to be true, this sounds like total BS and a desperate grab for attention from a complete nobody.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,221
    It is NOT irresponsible journalism in the sense that the writer is not fabricating anything, and is reporting a real story. The uncle IS making these allegations.

It IS irresponsible journalism in the sense that the writer capitalizes on sensationalism associated with referencing Cal as cheat . . . even while the player in question denies the account.

In the end, Cal is a victim of his own reputation and baggage. This story would have absolutely no-legs if not for the coach in the center of the accusation. These stories will stick to Cal more so than any other coach . . . perhaps deservedly so, perhaps not.
  13. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    This is why I say it is irresponsible. No evidence. Trying to sell a book. No reason to give this guy airtime.
  14. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    I have to say this has been a very reasonable "Cal cheating" thread. That's not always the case.
  15. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +605
    I agree. A better story would include what this guy did as a criminal, what he was known as (Pink Chevy), how much time he served, how many people died from the drugs he dealt, etc...

What concerns me is that someone could easily make unsubstantiated claims against one of our coaches in an attempt to sell a book.
  16. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,221
    This is true . . .though I do not think this type of story would ever hit the media if not for who it involved.. Stories with Cal gain some level of traction . . .even the absurd ones. . .because of his reputation.
  17. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Yes...kids are getting paid and receiving benefits in high school...some even younger. Guess what the NCAA doesn't care anymore unless you turn yourself in and admit your own wrong doing to shelter the NCAA from a lawsuit. Also, just because someone is getting paid for a story doesn't make it untrue...one of the OJ witnesses was paid to tell her story by a magazine but it doesn't mean she was lying. People get paid to tell the truth as well not just for made up stories.
  18. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +389
    I had a feeling that Calipari was behind the Lance Armstong incident. This confirms it.
    • Funny Funny x 5
  19. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Yes, perhaps, but you can't put faith in anything that's said for money. The profit motive makes it wholly unreliable.
  20. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Rem, I respect your opinion, and despite the rather deep prejudices that frequently tend to occur in Kentucky (and Florida, and Georgia and La, etc., etc.), I really like Kentucky and Kentuckians in general.

However, the evidence against Cal is both longitudinal (over a long, long period of time), massive, and highly consistent, plus the fact that he has shown a personality relative to his players that no one should ever show (almost complete disrespect on the court), that only a believer could possibly respect him or wish him to retain his $10 Billion per year job.

Unfortunately, Believers are almost always BLIND!!! I never cease to be mazed at how impossible it is for Believers to perceive/understand the simplest and most well documented stupidities regarding their belief, whether it be Kentuckyism, Gatorism, Americanism, terrorism, scientism, religion, nationalism, king/queen/leaderism, etc., etc..

That's why relatively objective, but "outside" perspectives are needed to keep things out of the hands of the psychopaths who tend to rapidly ascend to high positions in all fields due to their ruthlessness and lack of conscience: http://theweek.com/article/index/219529/is-your-boss-a-psychopath#axzz355Csq1n0