1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,683
    Been saying since last season we need a new batting coach. UK seems to have a good one.
  2. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    Who is our current hitting coach? I couldn't tell you who the hitting coach is based on 7 years of watching this staff.
  3. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +708
    Congrats to the team on a very, very good and enjoyable season. Gave me a great deal of pleasure, exceeded my expectations and won an SEC championship. Go Gators!
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,347
    As much as it sucks, at least they brought an SEC championship trophy home.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. yankgator

yankgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Can someone tell me why I should be optimistic about next year? While they won the SEC, they were not am easy team to watch. Logan Shore had great games, but he seemed to fade in post season. Freshman with a tired arm? No other pitcher showed consistency. We are likely to lose Gushue. I presume we get a full year o Bader, but who else adds to the offense? Do we have any sure fires in the incoming class?
  6. gtj31

gtj31 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Rhodes should be back and healthy. The rotation should be solid.

The lineup, not sure. Definite question marks.

Bell and Weitzel seemed to share duties on hitting, fielding, and base running. I am not aware of a clear distinction between them. Sully covers pitching; that is all I know.
  7. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    We used 10 freshmen this year. A couple of them need to step up and turn into stars, but the potential is on the roster.
  8. deathroll

Ratings Received:
    +708
    Need help being "optimistic" after we play the Nation's toughest schedule but still manage to win the SEC, finish the season in the top 10 and host a regional? Sorry yank but I don't believe there are enough reasons out there for you. Won the conference but it wasn't easy to watch. Shore received Freshman of the Year honors but didn't win his tourney start. Pitching staff absolutely carried us all year but wasn't consistent (in your eyes). Is Casey-at-the-bat on campus? Jeepers man. Might be time to stop following baseball. Baseball is tough stuff. Teams win some and teams lose some. Good and great teams lose to bad teams; happens, and at all levels. There are absolutely no "sure fires" in baseball. There are no "sure fire" players, teams, wins or seasons in baseball. Gotta enjoy the game itself and then, if your team is good enough and lucky enough to run the gauntlet that is the post-season, you get to buy yourself a championship hat.
  9. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    Last two years, 0-4 in the tourney. And that's only playing 3 and 4 seeds in regionals.
    Offense has been awful. The problem starts at the top, when nobody can identify the hitting coach. Nobody is responsible.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. deathroll

Ratings Received:
    +708
    Baseball.
  11. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    While I wouldn't defend our hitting instruction which really does seem to be an issue, it's not like we were totally overmatched at the plate. We had more than enough opportunities to plate the runs needed to win both games. How many times did we get the right guy, Gushue, at the plate with an opportunity to do some damage and watch him strikeout? How many times was Powers at the plate with an opportunity to drive in a run from the 5 spot and struck out? At some point, the players have to get the job done. When your 4-5-6 guys are 2 for 19 with 9 strikeouts, you're not going to win in the post-season:

Gushue 0-5 with 4 strikeouts
    Mattson 1-8 with a strikeout
    Powers 1-6 with 4 strikeouts

My biggest gripe with this team is that we have guys who can bunt and run extremely well. We played two games on a very wet field and made no effort to make use of what has been a huge weapon for this team - that's coaching. And, of course, the baserunning miscues which we still can't seem to minimize.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  12. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    I don't know a lot about baseball but it seems like we had a lot of miscues the last 2 years in the post season.
  13. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +758
    Hitters are born ,not made.. Been that way for a while now. There is an issue with base running technique and awareness. With this club it is like you have to coach every pitch and situation. Nothing can be taken for granted. I will come short of saying they are stupid base runners but it's close. You have to coach the hell out of it in batting practice session . You have to have a group working on base running technique while hitters are working on hitting. There can not be these kind of mistakes that we are transitioning in games.

I'm know these coaches are excellent baseball men. But to take that part of the game for granted it will cost you. I would like to see us execute situational hitting more than full cuts . We need backside base hits . Take a little off and put the ball in play. We roll off pitches when the ball is away and strike out too much or 2 hop double plays...

Enough out of me , it's over this year...
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,683
    Im proud that this team over achieved and won an SEC with the tough schedule, but i think perhaps a change on the staff at batting coach and tweeks by sully overall could really bring things together better next year.
  15. ufgator4ever

Ratings Received:
    +239
    Agree with Gray. The hitting and baserunning mistakes the past couple of years has been bad. Sully has had the same set of coaches his whole tenure, so a change might be personally difficult, but clearly something different might help.

There's too much talent on the team to not address the issue. Forget the fans, the players deserve better coaching.n
  16. ufgator4ever

Ratings Received:
    +239
    Wrong. It's poorly managed and played baseball.
  17. deathroll

Ratings Received:
    +708
    Wrong. They're talented, well managed and well coached college kids that play well enough to finish ahead of approximately 200 Division 1 teams every single year.
  18. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    LOL you cannot be serious. If you have a talented, well managed, well coached team that finishes ahead of 200 other Division 1 teams AT FLORIDA you will be fired.

The goals and expectations for this program are so much higher than that.
  19. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +348
    UF had a very good season and winning the SEC gives this team something to be very proud of. No, they did not play well this weekend but, I agree, it was not hitting but a lack of hitting in the clutch, that really hurt.

Good point about the 4-6 hitters struggling and no, you won't win too many regionals when those spots in the order go 2-19 and leave a bunch of runners on base. One thing that hurt UF all year was never having a consistent threat to hit behind Gushue, and it really showed this weekend. Neither C of C or UNC gave Gushue much to hit and when they did, he got frustrated and expanded the zone. And when it came to Powers and Mattson, both were absolutely terrible hitting with runners in scoring position, and that was the major reason UF scored only two runs in each game.

Don't agree with the bunting. UF played from behind multiple runs all weekend and it is hard to play small ball in that situation. Plus, like we said, UF had plenty of base runners in scoring position but just could not get any clutch hits.

quote="MatsideObserver, post: 7385794, member: 10836"]While I wouldn't defend our hitting instruction which really does seem to be an issue, it's not like we were totally overmatched at the plate. We had more than enough opportunities to plate the runs needed to win both games. How many times did we get the right guy, Gushue, at the plate with an opportunity to do some damage and watch him strikeout? How many times was Powers at the plate with an opportunity to drive in a run from the 5 spot and struck out? At some point, the players have to get the job done. When your 4-5-6 guys are 2 for 19 with 9 strikeouts, you're not going to win in the post-season:

Gushue 0-5 with 4 strikeouts
    Mattson 1-8 with a strikeout
    Powers 1-6 with 4 strikeouts

My biggest gripe with this team is that we have guys who can bunt and run extremely well. We played two games on a very wet field and made no effort to make use of what has been a huge weapon for this team - that's coaching. And, of course, the baserunning miscues which we still can't seem to minimize.[/quote]
  20. deathroll

Ratings Received:
    +708
    LOL. Silly. UF has NEVER ONCE, not once won a baseball championship and yet you believe this program has expectations so much higher than a top 10 finish every year? You do realize that finishing ahead of 200 other D-1 schools pretty much assures you of top 10 finishes? At that point, the baseball tourney is very much like the basketball tourney. You work to get there and then hope lightning strikes.