UN Report shows Assad almost certainly responsible for chemical weapons

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Sep 18, 2013.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Why not let Syria's neighbors deal with the mess? This fascination with sticking our noses in most everything is tiresome, wins as many enemies as friends, and is financially draining. It sure makes for some good nightly news though with all the live action night vision shots of explosions and tracer rounds. Every American has their own real life Black Ops game.

If the UN or the UK or any other number of countries want to step in, have at it. Our national interests do not lie in a civil war in the heart of the Middle East.
  2. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

It's all a load of bull. The rebels are the ones using the chemical attacks.

Row, even most Obama supporters don't buy the BS about Syria and don't want to bomb them. You are like that one WW2 Japanese soldier who fought until the 80s on a remote pacific island because he never received word that Japan surrendered.

But yes, let's bomb Syria and murder many innocent people so we can help terrorists take control of a country.....all while we are bankrupt.

Row, when will you realize that Ozero is nothing more than a war loving patriot act loving corporatist facist?
  3. Row6

Row6 New Member

This thread is about the near conclusive proof - as conclusive as you can get without a video of his hand on a trigger - that Assad was responsible for the recent chemical weapons attack in Syria. We can argue about what to do about it - and I'm happy to - but the ones living in a cave are the ones pretending that question is still open. It isn't, and anyone who still claims it is are self delusional and not serious partners in any discussion of the rest of the issue.
  4. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

I've seen Assad in several interviews swearing on a stack of Korans, 'I didn't do it and I knew nothing about it'. And then proceeded to say something to the effect of ' The fact is, we've got 1400 dead Syrians. Was it the result of gas, or bullets and bombs? At this point, what difference does it really make?' He appeared very angry and even pounded his fist on the table. You've got to admit, he certainly makes a compelling argument.
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

The UN and their "report" is full of $h!t. Assad is protecting the Christian minorities from the rebels. Why is that fact simply omitted? Who started that civil war? The rebels.
  6. mastoidbone

mastoidbone VIP Member

Do NOTHING---anything we do to try to help the people effected will cause more harm then good.
    There is no good side in this conflict to help----and nothing we can do meaningful to help the civilians.....in mideast you get the leadership you have earned. The public support AQ has on the street is now costing the civilians....and is their support of islamic law over democracy.....and now they want democratic states to help them???
    no way.
  7. Gatoragman

Gatoragman VIP Member

Ok Row. your messiah is not talking about invading Syria. What are you going to propose when one of our pilots get shot down? Leave him? What are going to do when they shoot back and hit one of our ships? Sounds great no boots on the ground, until they actually take one of ours out.
    I guess we employ the same stategy as Benghasi, it was only 4 that died so why risk more lives!!!
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

it isn't an internal civil war. it is the fuse that can ignite a much larger regional war.

right now, Russia is supplying weapons and private mercenary forces, Iran is supplying weapons, troops and technical advisors, and Hezbollah is providing manpower. Get them and chemical weapons all out of the equation and then it is an internal civil war that we should not be involved in.

and this little skirmish just happens to lie geographically in an area that could lead to serious destabilization across the entire ME at about the same time Iran would detonating their first nuke. Imagine Lebanon in civil war with Hezbollah funneling chemical weapons from Assad into the skirmish, Turkey overwhelmed with refugees forcing ethnic tensions even higher there, and Iraq cut into a serious 3 way war between the kurds, the shia, and the sunni's.

If you believe that a ME going up in flames and millions dying and others bitterly migrating away (and some will end up here, guess that will help repopulate Detroit) is not relevant to our national interests then I do not know what to say.
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

I'm for whomever is protecting the Christian minority in Syria, and right now that appears to be Assad. The rest of this conflict is smokescreens for certain ideologies.
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Row, even if you feel confident Assad used the WMD, so what? Saddam Hussein did as well.
  11. Row6

Row6 New Member

All fine, but that doesn't address the breaking of international law which has been pretty effective for 88 years and the murdering of children (and men and women) who's opinion of democracy is less than informed or by consent.
  12. Row6

Row6 New Member

I know he's not, nor I have I. I was being facetious.

We have a military to use smartly though always with some risk. I believe we should use it for humanitarian goals - as well as national defense - when it is in our power and ability to do so with minimum or calculated isk, as we did in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Liberia. The times we have failed that calling - the Jews before WWII and Rwandans are incidents we should rightly sense some shame for.
  13. Row6

Row6 New Member

And he rightly paid for that even before we foolishly decided to invade Iraq.
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

the only reason AQ has gotten any support is that they were the last hope for the Sunni's that we encouraged to rebel against the oppressive regime in place. once we refused to supply the rebels and Assad brought in Hezbollah and Iranian support, the Sunni's had to make a choice between accepting AQ support and getting slaughtered or evicted from their property.

the average Syrian is moderate and not fanatical. the longer this civil war goes on the more fanatical they will become.

when you lead from behind you create a vacuum and chaos usually fills that vacuum. AQ is taking advantage of the opening that we created for them. average Syrian sunni and alawite wants a secular gubmnt similar to what Turkey has/had without the fanatical influence. Assad brought in Hezbollah to inflame the fanatical shia and we left the local sunni with no cover so they accepted help from radical AQ. leading from behind ahs allowed the radical element of both sides to proliferate. look at the forest and not the trees
  15. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

I have not read this thread entirely. Are you just trying to say you believe we had the moral authority to attack?
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

repeat after me. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Hitler used them too and we did nothing while millions were slaughtered. Was that the correct thing to do?
  17. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

I've already shown there is no comparing what the Nazis did to the Jews, to Syria. Continue to beat that drum all you want but you are wasting your time. As far as Rwanda went they were the wrong color to start with and our nation barely gave a damn. The also did not threaten Israel so they didn't have that going for them.
  18. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Specifically, you're right.

However, on a more general note, I was speaking more about the idea of the U.S. "having" to take out certain bad guys while ignoring the transgressions of others.
  19. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

The only fuse we have to worry about is the one we supply.

The Russians and Iran haven't just now gotten cozy with the forces in Syria.

A Syria run by radicals is a bigger threat to Israel than Assad is. After all he has been in power for since 2000 and his father ran the country for 30 years prior to that.

This is still an internal conflict even if Assad is being supplied with weapons. Let it stay that way.
  20. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Yeah, sounds about right.