UN Report shows Assad almost certainly responsible for chemical weapons

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Sep 18, 2013.

1. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    Has anyone noticed the irony here on this thread?

A year ago at this time a lot of posters (including me) were not happy with the security arrangements in Benghazi. Nor were we happy with the lack of military response to rescue or at the least make the terrorist pay for their dirty deed.
    At that time Rowe and a host of others offered up one lame excuse after another about security and intelligence lapses in Benghazi. They also told us that we are quibbling about a handful of dead Americans when we lost far more Americans in Iraq.

Fast forward a year later. We now have Rowe wanting military action when we still do not have all of the facts (at the best circumstantial). One more twist to the irony. There were about 1,400 deaths linked ot the gas attack. Rowe wants to go to war over 1,400 dead whe on the other hand over 100K have already been killed in this Syrian civil war. I guess we should of gone to war over the genocide acts in Africa and other places that we stayed clear of.
  2. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    Who's footing the bill for this new war?
  3. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,649
    Not only that but the elephant in the living room is being ignored. The high probability of us further destabilizing the area and allowing their chemical weapons stockpile to fall into the hands of radicals. That's really what we need.
  4. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    No, you don't. You have an inability to face reality and admit that one of your reasons for not favoring action is gone. I expected more.
  5. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    You recanting of the benghazi events are as inaccurate and beside the point as your claims now that we don't know who used chemical weapons in Syria.

Indeed, we should have done more in "Africa" - I guess you mean Rwanda - though Bush did send troops to Liberia, which I also supported.
  6. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Another thread Hall. I know this one is uncomfortable but try and stick to it.
  7. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I really don't have tolerance for people who can't face facts. It's not that hard to say "I was wrong".
  8. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,649
    They are all one and the same. One leads to the other. You want to say "another thread" because that allows you to sidestep what I wrote which is a very real possibility.

First of all you have no conclusive proof and even if you did it still ignores the fact this is not only none of our business it is a very ill-advised move that can help put chemical weapons on our own shore in the future.

You are a great example of the dangers of being in lock-step with a political party. I still have no doubt if the Dems and the POTUS were against it you would be too.
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,905
    we thought through the possible ramifications 18 months ago when we wanted to arm the local moderate Sunni population but we did not.

Since then, as predicted, the regime ahs brought in the extremists Hezbollah and the local moderates have been either mowed down or forced to join allegiances with AQ to prevent their massacre and eviction from their homes. We left them no choice but to team with the devil and now we want to cry that they are teamed up with the devil. You cannot lead from behind.

Regime change must occur, Assad must be brought to int'l justice just like butchers in Africa should, the moderate Alawite clans supported by Russia need to replace the Assad family at the negotiating table, and only allow the moderate Sunni's should be allowed to join a new coalition. Then we will have to support a fight to run out AQ that we allowed to get a foothold by not acting to begin with.

Once again, we are having to react because we are not smart enough or decisive enough to act. by doing so, we repeatedly allow our opposition to define not only the battle but also the battle ground.
  10. Gatoragman

Gatoragman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Funny how the Libs want to go after these WMD's now. You know these weapons are more than likely the ones that were in Iraq about 10 years ago!!!
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,649
    No my friend, we don't have to do anything. What we should try is a new and novel approach. That approach is staying the heck out of their internal strife. It is nothing but a lose/lose situation for us. I believe if we found out there was strife on Mars between two warring factions we would figure out a way to get involved. We are a meddlesome nation who doesn't learn anything from past experience.
  12. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I'd debate your "side step " on another thread, or this one if you can prove you are amenable to facts and hard evidence. So far you haven't, and what would be the point?
  13. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Yeah that's it exactly. You know I was arguing all last week for invading Syria and so was the president.
  14. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,649
    Evasion doesn't look good on you. :wave:
  15. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Yeah, you're just too much for me.
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,905
    over 100k dead. 2.5 million plus refugees streaming into and destabilizing neighboring countries, tribal unrest spreading to Lebanon and intensifying in Iraq, russian advisors and weapons backing hezbollah and iranian republican guards wiping out the sunni's and using chemical weapons on them who have had to resort to AQ for help....i could go on

yeah that hands off policy we have deployed the last 24 months has worked out so fing good we should do more of it...brilliant
  17. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,649
    I'm not talking about the last 24 months. More like the last 50+ years.

I'll try it once more. It's their fight, let them fight it. It is none of our business. None, nada, zilch, zero. That is the part we as a nation can't seem to understand or come to grips with.
  18. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,649
    Our country slowly going down the drain and we have our noses in Syria's business. Damn we're smart.
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,995
    300 million+ unsuspecting underwriters.
  20. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753

Exactly right Hall, we have no business jumping into every civil war that breaks out in the world. What's our compelling national interest? Syrian oil, I presume?