UMass basketball player Derrick Gordon comes out as gay

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Jaggator, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    http://www.aol.com/article/2014/04/...1_lnk2&pLid=462756?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058&

[​IMG]
    "UMass basketball player Derrick Gordon has announced he's gay -- making him the first openly gay basketball player in Division 1 men's college basketball.

Gordon -- a sophomore starter for UMass -- made the announcement during an interview with ESPN.
    "I just didn't want to hide anymore, in any way," 22-year-old Gordon said ... "I didn't want to have to lie or sneak. I've been waiting and watching for the last few months, wondering when a Division I player would come out, and finally I just said, 'Why not me?'"

Gordon says he was inspired by Jason Collins -- who came out as the first openly gay NBA player last year.

"That was so important to me, knowing that sexuality didn't matter, that the NBA was OK with it," Gordon said.

A rep for the University issued a statement saying, "UMass is proud to have Derrick Gordon as a member of our athletic family and to honor his courage and openness as a gay student-athlete."

"UMass is committed to creating a welcoming climate where every student-athlete, coach and staff member can be true to themselves as they pursue their athletic, academic and professional goals."

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/09/umass-basketball-player-derrick-gordon-im-gay/
  2. newsgator

newsgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I am really, really looking forward to the day that "<player> comes out" stories like this aren't blown out as news (other than in gay/lesbian/bi/whathaveyou-centric media outlets. Ugh. I mean honestly, who really cares? I don't.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    Players coming out now will guarantee one day soon that it isn't news. I think this is different from the entertainment industry because of the sensitivity of the subject in a very masculine sports culture.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,702
    Debating whether to send it to Too Hot or not. Depends on what direction it takes.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    Oh good point Hall.
    I wasn't thinking anything but basketball when I posted it.
  6. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I know that coming out is ESPN's latest cause celebre, but really, who cares? By now, sexual preference in sport is such a non-event.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Sorry, I'm not persuaded by that story. The kid at UMass feels more comfortable openly declaring he is gay because Jason Collins did. That's terrific, but it's no more daring or socially significant than if the kid in the next seat in his sociology class at UMass did the same thing. 10 years ago, this would have been a major and courageous step. In today's world, announcing you move to the beat of a different drummer is routine stuff, particularly among a generation that's used to baring its soul on social media.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    Announcing you're gay is not 'routine'; otherwise people who know they are wouldn't wait 10+ years to tell the people they love let alone teammate and much lesser acquaintances. It may not matter to me or you, but if it helps the next kid be able to be himself sooner then I dont see how this is anything but good news and another step toward where this isn't a story.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    Perhaps they should just announce it a younger age so then they won't have to go through all of these apparently torturous years of "sneaking and hiding." They win because they don't have to sneak around, we win because we don't have to act like anyone actually cares.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I agree with you that it's good news. I just disagree that it's big news, and I feel it already isn't a story.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,130
    I'm coming out. I'm straight. Gatorcountry exclusive. You're welcome HallGator. It's been a burden, I feel better.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Eventually, the hope is that these kids don't have to "come out" to anyone, except their team or even better, they can just BE and not have to "come out" at all. Then it stops being news.

I never had to come out as "straight".
  14. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,130
    Or maybe you just did
  15. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,130
    No offense, I like the other photos you are known for posting much more. :)
  16. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    I do too but somehow trying to work a babe or Gator player into a basketball thread when the topic is about a male college player coming out just wasn't right. ;)
  17. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Yes, because being straight is the societal and statistical norm and there is no stigma attached to being straight...you understand the difference, right?

Someday, perhaps soon, this will not be news, but that's not the case right now. And I think comparing college and pro athletes to other homosexual people isn't fair because of what sports represent to a lot of people: masculinity, "being a man", all that stereotypical nonsense. Athletes coming out are proving that being gay and being masculine are not mutually exclusive, and every little step in the right direction helps alleviate some of the ignorance and hate homosexuals have to live with.

Everyone saying how this doesn't matter to them, big deal, all of that...that's GREAT for you. Congrats on moving to a higher level of thinking where what other people do with their lives doesn't bother you. I'm right there with you. But there are also still a ton of hateful, closed-minded people out there that do care, unfortunately.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,830
    I'm expecting The Onion to do this.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    On a personal level, I think it's a huge deal for gay players to come out. Why? Because every college athlete is in the public eye, especially in men's basketball and football. If Gordon had wanted to go out on a date with another man, a school news reporter would have been the one to break the news instead of him being able to do it when he feels comfortable. Now, that weight is lifted off of his shoulders.

The great news is, as shown with so many of the above posts, this is becoming more normalized. It isn't normal yet, which is why it's still a big deal. When the majority of gay athletes decide they are comfortable with coming out, then it is no longer a big deal to me.
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,043
    You do understand though, that some disagree, but that does not always equate to closed-minded hate, right? Some of us just have religeous or personal conviction about things that dont automatically trigger hate or exclusoveness.

..and as one of those people I get tired of "hate" and "intolerance" being lazily tossed around. (Im not aiming that at you specifically Brad...just frustrated by the general use of the terms.)

Sorry Hall, I know I probably tipped the scale here....
    • Agree Agree x 2