1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

UK recruit rips Scottie...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    A piece of advice only applicable to Gator fans I'm sure:rolleyes:
  2. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +416
    From out of the mouths of children wisdom frequently comes.

However, this person is obviously not a child but a "would-be" grown up, and clearly he is completely lacking in the second characteristic, wisdom.

Amazing how idiotic some people can sound.
  3. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +695
    Orton, Teague, Lamb, and Goodwin all made decisions that were best for them. Orton's career was run by his dad....Teague, and Lamb didn't like school and Goodwin was never going to be a team player. I disagree on Jones..he was a tweeter that needed to find a good situation which he has found. Also Lamb and Jones stayed partly to the lockout.

People may not like it, but it's hard to turn down if you are going to be in the lottery. Why hate on kids who are talented and can leave..school will always be there...I get ads daily on my email lol.

Jeff
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,090
    No one is "hating on the kids," other than you for criticizing Orton's father, Teague's and Lamb's interest in school, and Goodwin's commitment to the team.

The fact is that Jones went from a lottery pick as a freshman to a later first round pick, Lamb was a second rounder who had no business leaving, and Teague wasn't anywhere near ready physically. For whatever reason each made bad decisions by leaving when they did. So, for every smart decision to leave early, Calipari seems to have a bad decision on his record. And why is that? Does he not anticipate these things when recruiting? Do the players have no confidence in his ability to develop them? Do they just not like the Big Blue faithful? What exactly?

I will be the first to say Donovan struggled balancing out his classes and getting the right kids at times earlier in his tenure. But he was also a green coach recruiting the best players he could to a non-traditional hoops school. He has obviously corrected his approach and forged a tremendous continuity in the program that has translated well to the court. Again, for whatever reason, that vision has eluded Calipari and he has no one to blame but himself...though he certainly does a good job of putting the blame on players who aren't "team guys" or don't seem to know when to take themselves out of games or pass the ball if they are point guards or...
  5. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +695
    You are correct Calipari only has himself to blame, however the players need to take some responsibility as well.

Jeff
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +686

For every bad good decision there is a bad one?

Here's a list of early entries since Cal arrived at UK:

Patterson
    Wall
    Bledsoe
    Cousins
    Orton
    Liggins
    Knight
    Lamb
    Jones
    Davis
    MKG
    Teague
    Noel
    Goodwin
    Randle
    Young

That's 16 players. You see 8 bad decisions in there? I see two.

Orton shouldn't have left when he did given the information we can assume he had when deciding. In hindsight, leaving before he became reinjured (and being selected in the first round) may have actually been best for him. But I'm willing to still call it a bad decision - as considering his injury proneness is really a technicality at this point. Then I see the ultimate bad decision made by a Cal player so far; Teague. As far as most seem to assume, his family was not in a dire financial situation. I think he suffered from "left behind" syndrome and didn't want to be the only returning starter the following year.

Goodwin and Liggins were in situations of need when it came to their families. I can't see why its worth debating the wisdom of their decisions. Bledsoe was in a similar situation, but for him leaving wasn't a bad decision basketball wise.

Your assertion that Jones drop in draft stock his second year is evidence of a bad decision doesn't make sense to me. I think he could have gone as high as the very end of the lottery in 2011. He was selected 18th the following year in what most considered to be a stronger draft. He also ended up in a pretty good spot for him IMO. I bet you'd agree. Patric Young would have been drafted higher after his freshmen year - or straight out of high school for that matter. Did he make three bad decisions in a row? Jones is a good example of a player improving his effectiveness as a basketball player by returning and playing a lesser role. I think Poythress did this same thing this last year.

Lamb "had no business" leaving college? You may actually be right. Where you're wrong, however, is in thinking he'd have been in a better position in future years. The skills Lamb could have continued to develop wouldn't have drastically affected his stock. He wasn't going to grow more or increase his athleticism. Players don't stop developing once they enter the NBA. He made a good decision.

I completely agree with anyone in this thread who has said Cal deserves the turnover surprises he gets sometimes. He has no right IMO to act surprised when one of his selling points is something as ridiculous as "the Kentucky effect."

I'll also never judge a kid for wanting to enter the NBA quickly. I didn't stay in college by choice. Had I become convinced that I could be equally effective in my career with less college, instead of more, I'd have left immediately - and I loved college. This is even considering the fact that I come from a background that values education - its expected. Most or many of these players can't say the same.
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171
    Where is this thread heading? Good grief.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +695
    Hell I can end the thread if you'd like......it was a dumbass decision made by a stupid high school player who has done nothing to warrant criticizing anybody much less Wilbekin.

He needs to shut his mouth and he needs to really concentrate on his social media skills.

Jeff
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1