Uh oh....standing his ground...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by outbackjack, Jul 27, 2013.

1. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    probably another one of Obama sons...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mastoidbone

mastoidbone VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    No one was in danger, call 911, turn on outside lights, chamber a round, put family in safest place of house, and the moment the door handle turns put 5 rounds through the door---otherwise wait.

No excuse for shooting someone stealing a $100 radio. None.
  3. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    No excuse for prowling arounds someone's house at 1:40 in the morning...none whatesoever.
  4. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    Whoa....re-read his post. He said he didn't.

The police disagree with you:

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/07/marigny_homeowner_shooting.html#incart_m-rpt-2
  5. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,653
    I don't call it breaking into his house. I call it what it appeared to be.....trespassing. Maybe with intent to steal or maybe with intent to break into the house but the evidence does not support it being a break-in with reference to the house.
  6. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,653
    This I agree with.
  7. Tasselhoff

Ratings Received:
    +448
    Nope. The decision of whether poses an imminent threat is pretty easy in hindsight. But in the moment at 140 in the morning fear for your family...that is not a chance you take.
    Now if we find out the kid was running away trying to escape and he still shot him....then I agree he is guilty of something...but probanly not murder 2.

How sad would this story be if the man had hesitated been shot and his wife raped? The man had no way knowing what would happen. He chose to protect his family.

And does the decease not own any of the blame here?

And lets not forget this is new orleans not temple terrace not gainesville not destine. New Orleans. Not a city you take chances in.
  8. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,653
    What proof is there in the story that shows the family was in immediate danger? I just don't see it my friend.
  9. rounds

rounds New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19

Good post. Zero lot line home. Iron locked fence & gate. High crime area. 1:40 a.m. Reached for weapon. Boom!
  10. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    ^^^ This. It's very easy for everyone else to armchair quarterback this guy's response while sitting at our keyboards.
  11. Tasselhoff

Ratings Received:
    +448
    They may not have been....but that was a decision that had to be made in a spur of the moment. In the midle of the night. I cannot blame the man. Simple fact of the matter....if the kid isn't prowling trying to steal from him he isn't dead.
  12. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    So, there were other people up and apparently watching when Landry pulled the trigger in his back yard, through an iron gate, at 1:45-2:00 AM in the morning. Would it be presumptuous of me to think that they were accomplices of said 14 year old criminal and say anything that would help to absolve them of criminal misconduct?

Where were they standing? Did they have a clear view? How could they see whether or not Trayvon (I mean the 14 year old) reached into his jacket or waistband? Why were they in the area at 1:45-2:00 AM in the morning?

As Landry's friends said, the vehicle was in the driveway behind a gate just a few feet from the house's backdoor. If it is only a few feet from the back door, does that not give credence to the thought that Landry could have been about to attempt to enter the back door? It was just a few feet from the house's backdoor.
  13. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,653
    Once again the evidence does not support the supposition. Let's keep in mind how hard many of us argued for evidence in the GZ trial and against supposition.
  14. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,653
    By the way I am not a stranger to being broke into. Same kid broke into my house 3 times before he made the mistake of doing it while my son was home. My son chased him down the road with a butcher knife and later he (the kid) was arrested.
  15. Tasselhoff

Ratings Received:
    +448
    I understand hall....but so far the only things we know is that the kid was prowling outside the house at140 in the morning. My point is that most people under thkse trh ing circjmstances - having to make a split second decision still half asleep body full of adrenaline from fear...protective I sticts kick in...it is easy to see why he pulled that trigger.

This is not the same as zimmerman. In this case there is a definately guilty party. One of the two was up to no good. The only question is whether or not it warranted shokting. I am of the opinion...right or wrong...that it is an understandable decision to make sure family is safe under those circumstancea.
  16. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
    Sorry Andy. All ridiculous points, as you know.

Whoooshh!!! Way over your head, big boy!
  17. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    If you and your family are locked up in the house, there's really no split second decision to make. Y'all are not in immediate danger.
  18. Tasselhoff

Ratings Received:
    +448
    Ok fine.
    It is not a stressful unnatural adrenaline fueled moment to find someone outside your home at 130 in the morning. It would not be split second decision when seeing him reach for something. Living in N.O. during my childhood I can tell you that no one worries when a stranger climbes over their security fence in the middle of the night. This guy just flat out murdered the boy. I bet they fou d girl scout cookies on him.

But hey if none of you think the circumstances make his actions understandable....so be it. But pray you do not come prowling around my house in the middle of the night.
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,653
    We're having a discussion no need to get all that worked up about it. People disagreeing is what the forum is all about.

I have no intention of prowling around anyone's home at 1 in the morning nor do I have intentions of shooting someone who is doing that in my yard. I am going to make sure they are a threat before I pull the trigger on my gun.
  20. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    Exactly. What if the person in your yard is a neighbor looking for their lost dog or a teenager using your yard as a short-cut to get home before curfew?