Uh oh....standing his ground...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by outbackjack, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +443
    I can agree with that. However under the circumstances...149 in the morning..jumping a locked iron fence...etc..I do not think it was unreasonanle to assume the perp posed a danger to him and his family. Again I do not think he asked excuse me what are your intentions. He saw a dark figure jumping his fence making its way up to his house in the shadow of his car...hell yeah he shot.
  2. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    The kid is an idiot and there's no way he was just minding his own business or something. The car area was within the fenced area, and wouldn't that mean private property? The way some perps are armed these days, waiting for the kid to get closer to the house before shooting was probably not an option.

If this kid lives, I'm sure someone will bring up a "he's a good boy" excuse somewhere in there.
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    First shot, rock salt. Second shot, lead.
  4. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Can't say how it will play out in a courtroom. Did the shooter know about the home invasion burglary that happened a couple blocks away earlier that night? May have been a little on edge if he knew about that other incident. Similar case in 2004 ended up in a manslaughter conviction with a suspended sentence.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  5. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    I read more about the case. Break-ins were happening more frequently in the area. As you can see from the picture, the yard/driveway/house were all together, it was a very tight area. Being "near the car" is also being "near the house".

Protecting your family.

Had he just called police, the thief could seek revenge and think...."I'm going to target this guy when I get out".

The kid was in the wrong 1000%.

The father protected his family WITHOUT QUESTION.

Some how, I've gone my entire life without getting shot.

I've done that by staying away from things that could possibly get me shot, like jumping a man's fence at 1:40 in the morning.

If everyone that jumped people's fences to probably commit burglary were shot in the head........PEOPLE WOULD STOP JUMPING FENCES TO COMMIT BURGLARY.
  6. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    You seem to be in direct contridiction to yourself from the GZ thread. You state in no uncertain terms in that thread that GZ had NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to pull a pistol and shoot Trayvon. You did not, in that thread, care about the facts at all, only your perceived feelings on the matter.

Now, you state that if someone's life is threatened (just like GZ's when Trayvon was bashing his head in to the concrete), it is justified to shoot someone. How are you able to justify holding the two diametrically opposed opinions with regards to self defense and Stand Your Ground? (I didn't bother to read the article.) Was he on drugs at the time? Was he not a minority? Did you personally know the kid that was shot and think he deserved it? I can't follow your reasoning, based on your past condemnation of a person defending themselves.
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    That's where a couple of dogs would have come in handy. They could have been chewing his ass off while he tried to re-climb the fence. Then if he shoots your dogs you definitely open up on him.
  8. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    You're generalizing here.....I've not condemned anyone for defending themselves. In the Martin shooting, I questioned Zimmerman's version of the events that lead up to the shooting. If someone is breaking into your home....that's a different situation and it's an entirely different situation if the bad guy is only on your outside property.

It would help if you'd read the article.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tasselhoff

Ratings Received:
    +443
    Why do people always assume another poster hasn't read the article? Just because they disagree with you? Nana I could point out that it would help for younto loom at the pictures that came with the article. You would see that if the kid was moving towards or around the car as you highlighted in an earlier post to refute the idea the kid was moving around or toward the house...if he was near the car he was prwctically an arms reach from the house. He WAS movung towards the house.
  10. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,428
    We must protect this house.
    - Under Armour
  11. etennant

etennant Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    If you are stealing or attempt to steal and get shot and possibly die, I will not shed a tear. I grew up poor (sometimes no electricity) and I didn't feel the need to go steal from someone else.
  12. outbackjack

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    Did I miss it, or did they state the race of the "fence jumper"?
  13. bludigal

bludigal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I would consider him unlawfully trying to enter the home when he hopped the fence. Why do you have to let them try the door handle first. The kid was not "cutting" through the yard, while he ditched his bike down the street.

The kid got what he deserved. 14 years of age you know stealing is wrong. If the guy broke the law then the law is wrong. You should be able to shoot and kill thieves, and the state's punishment for stealing should be death.

Enough is enough already. Well, you didn't have to shoot him he was just gonna stea from your car. Give it a rest. The kid got what he had coming, it isn't a "tragedy". :devil:
  14. Tasselhoff

Ratings Received:
    +443
    There are or at least should be consequenses for ones actions. But in todays society we try to steralize everything. Mame even our mistakes sanitary.
    Have unprotected sex and get pregnant...no problem. Abort it
    Try to steal a man's property and get caught...not problem. Let the justice system get you oit of teouble
    Teenager breaking the law. No problem we will give 30 chances to reform

At some point the consequences have to hurt more. They have to be enough to stop the action causing them. Dont want a baby...use a condom
    Don't want to get shot. Don't steal from your neighbor
    Don't want to spend life as a convict or in prison...don't break the law.
  15. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Breaking into a car is wrong. But being shot in the head for it?

Why stop there? If we are going to go wild west, let's really put a stop to crime:

Get caught speeding - lose license for a year. Second offense should be for life. I have no sympathy for speeders - they know the law.

Get caught stealing a peice of candy from the store - lose your hand. No matter the age. While three year olds may not know better - their parents do and it's up to those slackers to raise an honest child. Clearly if they behave like this at three, they will be breaking into cars at 14 and will be shot anyways.

Infidelity - death.
    fraudulant - death (I hate frauders).
    tax evasion - life in prison.
    perjury - life in prison.
    physical abuse - four broken limbs.
    rape - castration (does not matter if you are 18 and the victim is 16 and consents - its the law damnit).

And I could go on and on.

Clearly we need to devolve as a species and show no mercy. There is no such thing as reform. Once an offender, always an offender.
  16. outbackjack

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    So well said Tasselhoff.

Make the consequences hurt and maybe the illegal action will stop.

If the consequence is a joke, the illegal actions will continue.

Getting shot in the head....yeah, that 14 year old won't be breaking into that guy's house anytime soon.

Consequence worked.
  17. outbackjack

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    Sorry Andy. All ridiculous points, as you know.

That's why we have rankings of crimes....misdemeanors and felonies.

Breaking and entering/burglary is a felony.
  18. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    Where did it say the kid broke into the house?
  19. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Some Muslims in the U.S. and their sympathizers are pushing for Sharia law, so you might just get your wish sooner than you thought.
  20. Tasselhoff

Ratings Received:
    +443
    Hall what do you call what he was doing. I call it breaking in. Either the house or car. I do not think he was selling girlscout cookies for his kid sister. When he crossed the iron fence, locked fence, put there to keep people out, at140 in the morning...he was in the process of breaking in...in my mind.

As for calling the police...I doubt the man took the time to think. He heard a prowler, saw a man in the shadows prowling around his house and protected his home and family. Besides if he had called the police what would have happened? They would come (in about 20 minutes) with sirens blaring. The perp would have heard them from a mile away a poof....disappeared. Only to come back another night...maybe one when no one was home. Maybe one when only the pregnant wife and little girl was home.

You know what is a shame. This kid did not have a mom and dad at home who taught him right and wrong. He did not have parents that were keeping him inside at 140 in the morning. The parents let this kid down. It is on them.