UF's X-Factor

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by chompalot, Aug 21, 2014.

1. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    • Like Like x 2
  2. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    What You Should Expect

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...the-2014-15-college-basketball-season/page/19
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,142
    Eh. Walker will probably end up playing the majority of his minutes at the five anyway, no matter where he starts. Horford is our only other five and there is no way he plays 30+ minutes. 20, 25 tops, meaning the rest of the minutes there are Walker's.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,142
    That being said, thanks for the link, Ahab.
  5. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    I'm not sure that I saw this person saying much, other than the obvious.

And, of course, as usual, rserina is nail on the head.
  6. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I find this comparison interesting:

A. 11.4 points per 24 min, 8.2 rebounds per 24 min, 1.59 blocks per 24 min, 1.22 points per possession, 12.2 offensive rebound rate, 27.0 defensive rebound percentage, 6.7 block percentage
    B. 6.6 points per 24 min, 7.3 rebounds per 24 min, 1.19 blocks per 24 min, 1.22 points per possession, 12.7 offensive rebound rate, 25.6 defensive rebound percentage, 5.4 block percentage

B is Jon Horford in 13.8 minutes per game last season at Michigan. A is Al Horford's last season at UF playing 27.8 minutes per game. Jon is a similar rebounder to Al, but the issue is can Jon's stats hold up as his minutes almost double?
  7. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    Interesting comparison Insti.

Of course, Jon Horford, when he came off the bench, would be going against either somewhat more "tired" starters or backups than Al Horford, most of who's minutes went against starters. So, I doubt seriously that such a comparison is very legitimate.

Also, since UF is usually a very balanced team, whereas Michigan is a guard oriented team, I think it likely that his scoring percentage will go up while playing for the Gators.
  8. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    We've been outsized in the past, and Billy has responded by pressuring the bigs w/ double teams.. So really besides UK, were they are balanced inside and out, being outsized will be schemed for.

Walker, Horford, DFS, Murphy and maybe even Robinson will all have to guard bigger players vs. UK.
  9. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    One thing I like about our bigs is that they can RUN. At least Walker, Murphy, and DFS can. I haven't seen enough of Robinson and Horfy to know about them. So I believe we can counter UK's mass with quickness and getting up and down. Southpaw is also correct in pointing out our doubling of bigs. UK's freshmen haven't always handled the double-team well, as would be expected. That's a skill that takes experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Another thing I like about our bigs is...Kasey Hill. No other SEC team will have a point guard with his feel for dishing to the big guys in the paint.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,142
    That is not only a great point, but exactly how Donovan thinks. Horford isn't much to write home about in the athleticism department, but Robinson can really fill the lane and finish at the rim (serious alley-oop threat, both in the open floor and along the baseline or off the pick and roll in the halfcourt). There is a reason Donovan doesn't really recruit guys like Dakari Johnson or Cauley-Stein. They don't have a very high skill level and they aren't terribly fluid athletes in the open court (though WCS is light years ahead of Johnson the latter). If either of them were 6'8" like Dickerson, they would be at Eastern Kentucky, not Kentucky. If Dickerson were 7'0" like them, he would be Shaq.

But, yes, strategically speaking Donovan doesn't want to match up with Kentucky--he wants to dictate the matchups with them. Can Johnson or WCS or Towns defend Walker in a face up situation at 18 feet or one of those angle pick and rolls from the wing or on pick and pops out near the arc? Can they run with him the full length of the court in a transition situation? Can they get back down the court quickly enough to take Walker out of the back end of the press and force him to stay closer to the basket? Put the pressure on them to adapt to his length, athleticism, and skill level.

When teams have good three point shooters, we are a little hesitant to do it, but if either A) our perimeter players are very disciplined in their rotations and good at close outs on open shooters or B) the opposing bigs just don't scare us when it comes to recognizing doubles, finding the open shooter, and executing the skip pass, then we will apply that double nearly every time they make a post entry pass. Johnson and WCS were terrible in that respect (as was Julius "If I get the ball, I am either shooting or going to the line" Randle. Towns and Lyles should be much better, in my opinion.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. g8rmann

g8rmann Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    I found it interesting what Donvoan recently told the Atlanta Gator Club. "You will be surprised by Horford. He can hit the three. Didn't have to at Michigan but yes he can."
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  13. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,429
    You went small to go big?
  14. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +637
    Horford is gonna be the second best 3 point shooter on the team. You heard it here first..
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Yup.
  16. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Is that the good news or the bad news?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    For some teams that would be the question. If Horford is the best 3 point shooter on a team including Michael Frazier, I think UF fans can be confident that will be a good thing. Still I doubt Horford will be a better shooter from the arc than Frazier.
  18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    He said 2nd best, not best
  19. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +637
    ^^second best and it's a great thing when you can have a big who is gonna rebound the ball like him able to stretch defenses by stepping back behind the arc and draining 3's. Expect him to shoot close to 40% from 3 land!
  20. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Yeah I caught that after I looked back on my phone. I did not get around to editing until after you had commented and then it was too late. Still second best is ok as long as Frazier is there to stretch the D. It would be nice if Hill hit a decent percentage also Finney-Smith.