UF's run defense will continue to be dominant vs. LSU

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by rmfleone06, Oct 11, 2013.

1. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    I keep reading from LSU and Gator fans alike that UF will have problems with LSU's running game. I don't understand how people are questioning the gator defense, just look at who they have played.

Team= ypg/rank----vs UF
    TOL= 208.8/35th---50
    Mia= 213.8/29th---50
    Ten= 211/32nd ----66
    Ken= 162.2/70th---48
    Ark= 216/24th ----111
    LSU=197.3/44th---??

Also I looked at the individual leading rushers and how they stacked up.

Player = ypg/rank---vs UF
    Fluellen=141/6th------46
    Johnson=114.4/16th--59
    R. Neal= 102.67/23rd--42
    A. Collins=108.5/20th--54
    J. Hill===118.8/11th---??

Now the difference is that the toughest rush defense that LSU has faced is TCU at 40th in the country (133.2 ypg allowed).tc However the toughest team hill has faced is UGA at 42nd (139.2 ypg allowed).
    All other teams on this list have played UF at 2nd in the country (65 ypg allowed).

So UF has played 4 teams with better ypg and 4 players averaging 100+ ypg allowed and those stats are including against UF, where LSU's stats are not.

Why are so many gator fans doubting their ability?
  2. g8rl8

g8rl8 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I like this.
  3. Doobz

Doobz Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    The problem is that LSU has a far better passing attack than anyone we've played. That will fundamentally alter our defensive scheme.

I am not doubting that we will do well, but this is a different challenge than our previous match ups.
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,549
    Yep, we'll be forced into a less than perfect defensive set-up for stopping one but not both.
  5. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    I hope you're right.

I don't think people are "doubting their ability", so much as having a healthy respect for Mettenberger at the QB position and the other weapons that offense has. His ability to throw will definitely keep the safeties from cheating up on certain plays, and Florida has to respect his arm, account for their two primary receivers, as well as the other options ZM has out of the backfield, and hope that our rotation of corners can hold their own.

Stats don't tell the whole story. It puts a lot more pressure on the Gator front to stop the run by itself if Mettenberger is having an efficient game. If our corners don't need consistent help, that obviously allows us to cheat up to the line of scrimmage, and helps to give us numbers against their running game.
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    This. Until we can demonstrate that our outstanding secondary can cover their WRs like a blanket, we will have to play their offense honest and not stack the box. That said, we have yet to be seriously exploited.

I'm not so arrogant to believe we WILL shut them down, but I will say that Florida will be easily their toughest test thus far. If their offense can gain 400+ on us, they are legit!
  7. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,023
    I'll believe it when I see it. The problem with UF this year is that they have consistently started slow in the 1st quarter, and we CAN'T afford to do that on the road against a top 10 caliber team like LSU, with one of the best offenses in the country.

I worry that UF will start slow, and never be able to catch up.
  8. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Yup. Muschamp has one of those no-name defenses, that has a ton of talent, is playing fundamentally sound ball, very aggressive, and good at the point of attack. It sort of reminds me of the kind of crew he brought into Gainesville to stifle the Gator attack back when Tebow was on campus.

Nobody outside of the SEC knows who any of these guys are. The casual college fan may be familiar with Purifoy, but that's it. But they sure are a nasty group of dudes to have to go against. LSU will work for everything they get tomorrow. Buhlee dat
  9. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    UF's two starting CB are the same ones that held UGA, FSU, UT, and UL to less than 270 yards passing last year (all ranked 40th or higher). also UF does not need to load the box to stop the run they are averagein less than 7 players in the box per play due to mostly running a nickle or dime package. UF normally lines up with six lb/dl and five db and they trust their front to play gap sound fundemental football which is one reason why our secondary is so good. The D is stronger in the front then most people give credit which frees up a defender to be in the secondary. They also normally only bring four because they can get pressure with four.
  10. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    I think LSU and Miami are pretty similar in terms of run/throw balance, and aside from the first quarter we handled their offense really well.

We have played better offensive lines in UT and Arky. And I really like the running backs Arky has. Those guys are gonna give the league fits for a few years. We handled those teams as well.

LSU has better receivers than we've faced, but our DBs are also better than what LSU has faced. I don't see us changing our pass coverage that much. Muschamp will force LSU to beat us thru the air in hopes that our secondary can defend.
  11. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    My friend, I think you might want to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSM-AKq71q0

Florida regularly loaded the box on first and second down, with eight or nine players, from about midway through the second quarter, all the way up until it became Arkansas would have to pass the ball late in the game. Note how often you see Riggs, Watkins, and Purifoy in the box. Florida absolutely cheated safeties up in that game; you can actually watch it by clicking on the link above.

Your description of the defense is ultimately what the staff wants to do. It is a correct assessment that is subject to change based on what is happening throughout the game. Florida was having a tough time getting off blocks, tackling, and there were some missed assignments early in the Arkansas game that certainly called for adjustments.

Also, yes the Gator staff would like to pressure opposing QBs with four/five guys, but that again depends on what is happening throughout the game. Several times Florida brought pressure off the corner, used stunts, and brought six defenders on obvious passing downs.
  12. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    @noahbean

So for two drives according to the video and what you wrote (midway through 2nd qtr to when they start throwing to catch up which was from the first drive in the 3rd qtr down 24-7) UF loaded the box? Look at the season in a whole instead of one game. This is the article that shows prior to the ARK game florida averaged 6.5 players in the box on run plays. And shows their ability to hit and stop players in the backfield at the highest rate in the FBS.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/74435/arkansas-a-team-on-the-run

Also not to burst your bubble but UF averaged 7 in the box for the whole game against ARK on run plays.
  13. red55

red55 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I don't think anybody doubts Florida's ability on defense. They have been too good and too consistent for that. But you can't look at it in a vacuum either.

Florida has played one top-25 offense and lost despite a good defensive effort. Then they have beaten Toledo (#66) and the three worst offenses in the SEC (#84, #85, and #89). LSU has a top-25 offense with a top-4 passing efficiency and a top-10 scoring offense, averaging 45 points a game. They are very balanced and they are going to score some points in the air and on the ground.
  14. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Here's what happened: Florida adjusted to Arkansas ability to run the ball. From about midway through the second quarter to midway through the fourth, Florida consistently loaded the box on first and second down. We constantly had safeties cheating up. You can see that in the video. Midway through the fourth, Arkansas had to pass the ball. At that point we had no reason to crowd the box. I don't care what the article says about what we did through the first four games; I'm talking about what we had to do schematically against Arkansas to stop their running attack. Obviously the staff didn't want to stop Collins with 6.5 guys in the box. So they adjusted.

Your initial question was why people were doubting the Florida front. The general response was that this is a different game. The Hogs didn't have a quarterback that scared Florida. We had no respect for their passing attack and loaded the box. The first four games were different games, and Florida didn't need to do that. LSU can do things we haven't seen yet. We'll see what they do tomorrow.
  15. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +371
    LSU has a balanced attack...you dont shut down balanced attacks you slow them
    down and hope to force turnovers

And our offense has to be able to score and keep the ball

Will take a team effort...last years D may have been good enough to beat anybody basically by themselves
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    You guys do realize that all this talk about LSU's offense was being said last year when they were averaging 432 ypg and 39 ppg and scored 25 TDs through 5 games. Then UF and the defense shut them down completely. LSU is better offensively this year but so is UF. Also LSU is worse defensively but UF is either as good or slightly less. Every year all people and the media talk about is offense offense offense when at the end of the year the teams with the least losses are usually defensive minded teams. Not mention all of the past 7 BSCNC. This year will be no different. Great defense>>Great offense.
  17. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +316
    Arkansas's QB looked decent before his game against us. Then he crumbled
  18. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,137
    I think the big factor a lot of people forget to add into the equation is that UF actually has some extremely good pass rushers this year. Pass defense isn't solely the job of the secondary, it's also the job of the front four to get pressure. I think our front four can do that consistently in this game and throw the Tigers' passing game off a lot.