UF vs UK: Calipari Post Game Presser

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Droppingin, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Ole CFITB - come out swinging there bro? Look I know 2 things.

1) Cal is not as clean or innocent as you portray.
    2) Cal is not as bad as we portray

He is the best recruiter in the game and a heckuva coach.

Having said that I don't think he comes close to BD when you look at the entire package and I'm not just talking BB here.

Cal took the BB world / SEC by storm years 1-3, the system has not worked so well years 4 and 5.
    It's nice as a Gator to be kickin KY tail and having the shoe on the other foot. Billy has done a great job "weathering" the KY storm. I'm sure you will be pulling for the Gators to win the whole Enchilada.

Go Gators
  2. CFITB

CFITB Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I'll pull for the Gators only if they play one of the 5 or so teams that I hate.

On your other point Billy went to two nits after losing his whole team. Cal is well ahead of that curve so not sure either "system" is really looking better than the other.
  3. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Billy certainly never lost in the first round of those NITs though. Question, why are you here if all you're going to do is call us hypocrites, call our players criminals, and take potshots at our coach? What an ass, go away.
  4. Gatorhead

Ratings Received:
    +182
    REMO8 - U better than this man.

U know nobody is perfect. Billy would be the first to say it. He is a BB coach, contrary to what you may read here he is not coaching priests for Sainthood

Sure SW got into some trouble, I don't know what it was, share with us if you know.

I said this to Jeff and I will say it to you.

When you compare Billy to Cal:

He is less controversial. (Particularly with recruiting)
    Billy is diplomatic and respectful, Cal, less so
    Billy isn't as draconian with his players while on the court
    Billy doesn't disrespect the SEC like Cal has

I've heard many glowing things about CAL, from Billy himself btw, but on a personal level I prefer
    the lower key, respectful approach Billy brings when compared to your guy.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    My posts are merely a counter to those UF fans suggesting he's grooming priests. Obviously he's a basketball coach. Were it not for posts painting him as mother theresa and Cal as satan, I definitely wouldn't feel the need to inject some examples that support these extremes not being the case.

I'm glad you prefer Donovan. I actually would too. That doesn't mean, however, that I can't think something other than Cal being everything that is wrong with basketball. Some of these extreme views don't hold up.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    No defense for calling ppl criminals, obviously. From the outside though, it does appear (with any fan base) that rivals are critiqued differently than one's own team. However little tact he may have used, you'd have to admit that some of those storylines would have been viewed differently were the shoe on the other foot.
  7. CFITB

CFITB Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Same old nbn..... can throw out snide remarks about others but as soon as a UK fan points out the hypocrisy of those remarks he's an ASS.

To answer your question I'm here every now and then mainly when UF and UK play. And I like to respond to threads about UK.

If you want me to say something nice about the Gators OK you have a great team that should roll to the FF.
  8. CFITB

CFITB Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Same old nbn..... can throw out snide remarks about others but as soon as a UK fan points out the hypocrisy of those remarks he's an ASS.

To answer your question I'm here every now and then mainly when UF and UK play. And I like to respond to threads about UK.

If you want me to say something nice about the Gators OK you have a great team that should roll to the FF.
  9. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +925
    You can take your snide remarks about UF to a UK forum. It's kind of "DUH" that such comments wouldn't be welcomed here, especially with the tone of your posts.
  10. myamiG8R

myamiG8R VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    i thought his comments were spot on as well... but why enjoy your own success when there is so much drama to create, dread, and despise...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    All this crap. SW was never outside the law.
  12. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298

Oh, my......

1) Thanks for mentioning Murphy. He is the poster child for how BD grows young men. Not only did he grow as a player from a gangly kid with limited ability and a questionable future to an NBA player, but that kid went from a reported borderline alcoholic with a real dark side to one of the best kids I've ever talked to. I had the privilege to spend some time around Erik immediately after his senior basketball season - had a long sit-down with him and talked about his experience at UF. He just gushed about how Coach turned his life around. He credits Coach Donovan with saving him from himself. If that sounds corny to you, that's OK. Its what the young man told me. One of my questions to him was how do academics rate within the basketball program in comparison to on-court performance. He told me that Coach Donovan emphasizes academics over on-court performance....that there is nothing that you can do in practice or in a game that will make coach as angry as if you miss class. If that sounds impossible to you, if that sounds corny to you, that's OK. Its what the young man told me. You can take it up with him. On-court performance seems to take care of itself lately when everything else is in order, doesn't it?

2) E. Walker? Wow. Kid plays four years without a peep of trouble and AFTER his playing career, he gets drunk and steals a taco. Hey, I wish he hadn't done either, but is that all you got?

3) Can't really argue that one. I wish Beal had stayed, but he didn't. He helped us to an Elite 8 and we should have won it all. Robbed against Butler. I'm glad he is a Gator. What can I say?

4) Questionable academics like C. Walker? He wasn't allowed into our school until he met the standards of admission into our school. Great kid with a great future. Glad we have him. Again, that's all you got?

5) Repeat offenders like Wilbekin? Read the SI article by Andy Staples in this weeks' SI Online. Another poster boy. BD asked the kid to transfer. When the kid begged him to stay, BD made the kid move back in with his parents while he was running all those bleachers and doing all that community work to get back on the team. Wilbekin's father is an Assoc. Pastor. I haven't talked to Scottie, but I'd bet his story would be similar to Murphy's. BD may have saved his life.

Please be a bit more respectful when you are in our house.
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Gatorhead

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Nice post Doctor, you sound pretty close to the program, really appreciate the incite.

CFITB gets a little upset with the constant harangues we put on CAL. I used to do it myself
    but gave that up a couple years ago. I don't like the guy much but its hard to argue with the
    success he has had. He doesn't keep players around very long but surprisingly you don't hear about very many KY players getting into trouble so that is a good thing. It's just kind of hard to root for the man from my chair.

I agree with UF president Machen, Billy is a tremendous ambassador for UF and College Basketball.
    Classy, Professional, Polished, Modest, invested in the Program, The School, The Community.

Yes he makes 3.5 million but I don't know of any flaws. My biggest issue is I would like to see him relax a little more
    and laugh a little. It's cool to get those inside the locker room peeks after a "W" - its rewarding to see coach enjoy the fruits of his labor a little. He didn't say much about it but I have a pretty good feeling he was wanting that 18-0 as much as the players.

It's just so great to see this club at 29-2 flirting with a #1 seed. It would really be special to see these guys go 38-2,
    win 9 more. Well we will get to start that countdown on Friday.

Go Gators!!
  14. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    I think they are done flirting with a #1 seed, and are married to it now. Otherwise, good post that I too agree with.
  15. gatorfan96

gatorfan96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    If UK wasn't ranked preseason #1, I think they would be a bubble team this year with a chance of playing in the NIT
  16. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    This isn't the case. I'm not saying UK's season has been anything other than vastly disappointing, but you should compare overall resume's with actual bubble teams.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +477
    Compare UK to the Vols. Pomeroy's objective stats place the Vols higher and every pundit has UT on the bubble.
  18. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702

I love Kenpom's stuff, but I've never seen evidence that suggests its used to seed teams. I think it should be and I think it shows UK isn't as good as UT. I probably agree.

UK's RPI is 19 and UT is 44. We know those numbers are used. I believe UK's SOS is very high as well (last I saw was top 5 or top 10). I also think UK's record against the top 100 or 150 (not 50 though) is surprisingly good. These are numbers we know the committee uses and they suggest UK isn't close to a bubble team. Well, maybe I shouldn't say close, but you know what I mean.
  19. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +925
    A first round loss in the SECT might make UK get mentioned in some bubble discussions, but they'll make it in regardless
  20. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +477
    UMass's RPI is 18 and UK's is 20 on the CBS Sports RPI. Draw your own conclusion about how well RPI measures things.