UF vs UK: Calipari Post Game Presser

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Droppingin, Mar 8, 2014.

1. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,649
    I sure as to hell wouldn't want him as our coach. I don't hate him since I reserve that emotion for those people or things that really deserve it. However I don't like his approach to the college game and I don't care for his approach to his players.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Calipari's halftime speech "G-Dammit you M-Fers get the ball to #30"

Players: "But Coach, we are, they are double teaming him immediately"

Coach "G-Dammit, then Randle you are playing point guard, the rest of you M-Fers pass it to him as soon as you can, Randle, run over people until you get to the basket"

Might have worked but the kid couldn't keep it up for 20 mins, when he got gassed, game over, he is damn good, has a LeBron quality to him, when he gets in better shape he is going to be a superstar.

Calipari, however, is slime, greasy slime, if he were our coach I would not watch
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +771
    Uh, yes. Do you understand the post was made regarding their ranking coming into the game?
  4. A100

A100 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Calipari blaming the freshmen is getting old.
    He has assistant coaches sitting on the bench. He should start blaming them for not "coaching" up the players.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. bigDgator

bigDgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    It's like he is so bothered to have to answer questions about these terrible players. He thinks he is completely above it.
    He has always recruited well because of World Wide Wes so don't kid yourself. No way he could sell ice to eskimos, they are way smarter than most elite high school basketball players. I think he has done a terrible job coaching this year and it shows he is a roll the ball out type coach.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,119
    His ethics are questionable and he's a walking NCAA violation waiting to happen...
  7. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Whomever disagreed...at least point out why you disagreed. If it was me stating he is one of the best coaches...he is..being at UK and being slimey doesn't change that he is an exceptionally good coach. UMass and Memphis success proved that long before he became a one and done guy at UK.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    I wouldn't want him coaching my team, championships or not. I want 3-4 year players that grow as players and as people under the guidance of our coach. I don't want a bunch of rent-a-players using my school as a pitstop only because they are forced to go to college for 1 year.
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    If a movie were made about these teams this season, your post reads like Disney's version of the script. I could picture it kinda like the Mighty Ducks movies, if any of you remember them. UK would wear all black and never smile...

Truth is, UK has multi-year players - guys like Alex Poythress who has a 4.0 and will graduate in 3 years. You know, impressive guys like Patric Young. Truth may be also that not all UF players "grow as people" under wise Billy's tutelage. None of us know all the details, but I'd bet that a "30 for 30" film on Scottie would be pretty interesting. No question Billy might help many players grow as men, but spare me the extreme generalizations.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    As big a fan of college basketball as you are, you're lying to yourself if you say you enjoy the way your team is being used as a pitstop for a bunch of one-and-done players. There's no team, no chemisty, no school spirit, etc.

Brad Beal was 10 times the player of someone like Eddie Shannon, but I'd rather have another Eddie, so I can't imagine enjoying having a team of made up of guys like Beal, Randle, etc.

Good for Poythress in the school aspect, but I feel like he would be progressing better as a player under our schools tutelage.
  11. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +697
    I would make the argument that Billy has helped Scottie become a better man, maybe more so than the others. A "30 for 30" film? Kinda dramatic, don't ya think?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    I've always said I prefer a traditional approach and would rather see more players for more years. This doesn't mean, however, that I haven't still been able to enjoy Cal's teams. I have no problems with players leaving early for the NBA. If they're good enough to do that and only want to be in college for one year, then I'm happy if they pick UK as long as they follow the rules and everything. Except for Orton, they've all finished classes even after the season was over.

In the end, I want to win. If Cal is the coach, and obviously he is, then I want him to do what he thinks he'll be most successful at. He started off having tremendous success while HEAVILY relying on freshmen. I realize thats a high risk/high reward proposition. I can live with that. It beats the hell out of Tubby's last years.

Some of you phrase this discussion like UK fans have a choice of who their coach is and how they build a team. By supporting Cal, I'm not saying I want him at UK instead of Billy D or Phil Jackson. Last time I checked, those weren't options. Tubby was a good coach and he failed to build a team that won a title. He followed the traditional path of player development. Cal passed Tubby's final four total in just 3 years at UK and he did it with his own players. It could be worse.
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Yeah, but I started dramatic with the disney theme. So really it was just consistent, not dramatic.

I don't doubt you'd argue that Billy helped Scottie, but you don't necessarily know that this is the case. I don't know that it isn't the case, but I could make arguments that would support either outcome. The line between enabling and developing is a fine one and people outside the program often don't have enough info to differentiate between the two.
  14. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    His freshmen/youth excuse makes me want to puke. Someone should mention to him we had our sparingly played freshman PG running the team during the big run up in the first half. Total mins between Scottie (28) and Kasey (21) were pretty close. The media/KY fans, whoever, shouldn't let him get away with calling this team young at the END of the regular season, especially with upperclassmen playing significant time during the game.
  15. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415

Sour grapes, I know it is tough to get swept, and bad, by your bitter rival, but "a 30 for 30 film on Scottie" ???

The kid is living with his parents for his senior year of college, that would make for a boring film
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. CFITB

CFITB Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Love the hypocrisy. You guys wouldn't want that slime ball representing your school but hey no problem when BD brings in criminals like Murphy and E. Walker, OADs like Beal, guys with questionable academics like C. Walker, or repeat offenders of team rules like Wilbeken.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    lol, welcome to the board. Way to get off to a good start...
  18. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Haha - sour grapes? Florida isn't my "bitter rival."

The 30 for 30 thing was quite tongue-in-cheek, but please spare me the thought that his "film" would look like Patric's. He's had an interesting time at Florida. While we don't know the details, this isn't debatable. He was just the example I used anyway, could have been other guys.
  19. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Everyone compliment the troll on his creativity and move on
  20. CFITB

CFITB Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    No creativity needed when it's nothing but the truth. And to the guy above, I hardly need a "welcome" to this board. Been reading you guys rip cal for five years now. And that's OK....I just think it's hypocritical that's all.