UF recruiting rankings vs. draft position

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by dangolegators, Aug 3, 2014.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +612
    Hi. Not a recruiting regular and not a recruiting expert, but I thought I'd post some 'research' I did recently. ESPN just listed its top 100 college football players and that got me to thinking. I think UF had only 2 players on the list (Fowler and Hargraves). Yet year after year, we see UF sign numerous players who are on various top 100 recruiting lists, so you would expect for UF to have more than 2 players in the top 100 college football players. I don't put much credence in espn's top 100 list (probably more of a popularity contest there), but the NFL draft should be a good measure of where players rank as they come out of college, and UF has not had good results in the draft over the last 4 years relative to their recruiting rankings. Only 7 UF players were drafted in the top 100 over the last 4 years. (2011-2014), and only 1 player was drafted in the top 20. The recruiting classes that would roughly correspond to these 4 drafts would be 2008-2011 (with some players coming out after their 3rd year). Per ESPN recruiting rankings, UF had 33 signees who ranked in the top 100 between 2008-2011 and 9 who ranked in the top 20. So that's a pretty big difference -- 33 top 100 players coming in, and 7 top 100 players going out, with 9 top 20 players coming in and 1 top 20 player going out. I know there are many other recruiting rankings out there, but they all typically have numerous UF players in their top 100s from year to year.

So the question is, what is happening here? For starters, I'd guess that the recruiting rankings are very unreliable, and biased towards the big football schools like UF. I think when the recruiting sites see that a big school is on a recruit, they naturally raise their estimation of said recruit a little bit. But I also think some of it is related to player development while at UF. UF has not had the most stable coaching situation in the last 4 years (especially on offense) and I don't think UF has done a great job of developing players. That's just my opinion of course. Lastly, it could just be a run of bad luck. Good recruiting involves a lot of luck, and perhaps UF hasn't had great luck over the last few years.

Just curious to see where others weigh in on this. Why are we seeing such a sizable disconnect between where players are ranked coming in to UF vs. where they are ranked coming out of UF? Bad rankings? Poor development? Just a run of bad luck?
  2. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    You're probably not accounting for the thousands of players signed by FBS and FCS schools that were outside the top 100 on recruiting lists but were either overlooked or improved dramatically during their college careers and ended up being drafted among the top 100. Recruiting is an inexact "science", but the I'd bet the top 100 had more guys drafted than the second hundred, and the second hundred guys were drafted with greater frequency than the next 100, etc. Same goes for "star" rankings.
  3. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    1)Paying for the sins of Urban

2)No IPF..